Thread: Question for slick tricks users

Question for slick tricks users

My set up is 52# @28'dl, 450gr arrow 315 fps ibo. Do you think I have enough power to to get a bear's skin leaking ( both sides ) using 1 1/8' slick tricks ? I down graded from 60# because of shoulder problems and have these heads to use up if they are ok at this weight.

Think I may go with cut on contact heads with that setup. Arrow is gonna be moving awfully slow at impact. Not sure how quick, but I would say around the 220fps range
    Bowtech Archery
    Team Posten - custom stabilization
    Carbon Express Arrows for hunting
    Easton Arrows for Target
    Carter Releases

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    Think I may go with cut on contact heads with that setup. Arrow is gonna be moving awfully slow at impact. Not sure how quick, but I would say around the 220fps range
    220 is about what I thought also. I am thinking 4 blade stingers would work but if a 450 gr arrow would do the job with these heads, I would use them up.

with a heavy arrow I don't think you'd have a problem as long as you hit ribs only. stingers would be a great choice also

No problem go for it.

You would be just fine with ST's out of your setup. We are not talking elk or moose status here, bear are not that tough to penetrate.
    Hoyts: Contender Elite, Alphaburner, Sure Loc Sights & Scopes, Limbdriver rests, Doinker Stabs, Easton arrows, Carter releases, Badlands Backpacks, EPEK Broadheads...

drop down to a 400gr arrow and you will put a hurtin on him with the slick tricks !

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. Bates going out this weekend. Should be hunting in 2-3 weeks.If I see something big enough to take, I will post.

your setup will be fine. Black bear have been taken with lesser setups with clean efficiency.
    Bow Junkie, Archery Addict and Killer of Foam

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    Agreed.

20yrs ago 220fps with a 430gr arrow was blazing a blue streak across the sky...

Howard Hill thought the perfect hunting setup was a 550gr arrow traveling at 150-160fps...

Your not going to blow through shoulder bones and stuff but take a good shot and I will be surprised if your not picking up your arrows 20ft past where the bear was standing... Good luck!
    FOB'n everything in sight
    GT500 29/78 Limbdriver, HHA 5519, Paradigm SOS, Paradigm CTA, TightSpot quiver...
    Victory Arrows, PROLINE Custom Strings! Grim Reaper Razortips leading the way
    Long Draw Outfitters Jackson Hole, Wyoming

I am using the same weight and head you are for bear in a few weeks. The only thing is that I am pulling 70# but bear are without question as easy to go through as deer are - You will have no problems.
    GOOD LUCK. Where are you going and when?
    TRICKS ROCK

You're fine! Most likely you won't be shooting past 20 yrds.
    You should get pass thrus with that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    You're fine! Most likely you won't be shooting past 20 yrds.
    You should get pass thrus with that setup.
    Bate will be at 18 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by 458win View Post
    20yrs ago 220fps with a 430gr arrow was blazing a blue streak across the sky...

Howard Hill thought the perfect hunting setup was a 550gr arrow traveling at 150-160fps...

Your not going to blow through shoulder bones and stuff but take a good shot and I will be surprised if your not picking up your arrows 20ft past where the bear was standing... Good luck!
    What he said...without a doubt! My old Golden Eagle Hunter pushed a 505gr alum arrow at about 185fps with 125gr Thunderhead....zipped through the biggest bears I could find, no problem. Today we get caught up in the speed game waaaay too much. Pick your shots, execute well, and collect your bear. Good luck!