Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snakehead fish found in arkansas

snakehead fish found in arkansas

snakehead was found weeks ago by a commercial fisherman. there is beliefs that they could of made it to the white river during the floods, which means they will make it to the mississippi river. thats not good new if you fish or bowfish. if you see one or catch one kill it and notify the arkansas game and fish at once

Quote Originally Posted by rivershark View Post
    snakehead was found weeks ago by a commercial fisherman. there is beliefs that they could of made it to the white river during the floods, which means they will make it to the mississippi river. thats not good new if you fish or bowfish. if you see one or catch one kill it and notify the arkansas game and fish at once
    Snake Fish + White River = - Trout

If they make it to Mississippi at least the Asian Carp will have another contender to compete with!!!

I hate these things and the Asian Carp. The people raising these things and allowing them to get into the wild should be prosecuted to the fullest extent!!! Flood or not this is not acceptable!

Why this is legal to have animals that could cause damage to our enviroment or eco-system in someones possesion here in the states is just another problem with this country!!!
    GET SERIOUS! YOU'RE NOT SHOOTING A HOYT?

HOYT CARBON ELEMENT--EASTON AXIS--G5 STRIKERS--SWORD SIGHTS--SCOTT RELEASES

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike View Post
    Why this is legal to have animals that could cause damage to our enviroment or eco-system in someones possesion here in the states is just another problem with this country!!!
    Its not in many circumstances.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 34 - Get Serious
    Spot Hogg - World's Toughest
    Doinker - World's #1 Stabilizer
    Easton Archery - Easton ACC 3-71

That is a disaster in the making. Those fish will eat everything in the system. Best to take eradicatoin measure ASAP. If they are not already established.
    Bow Junkie, Archery Addict and Killer of Foam

I have never seen one , who can post a pic of this thing. Really I have no clue of what you guy's are talking about.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 28"/65lb
    Spot-Hogg Hunter 7 pin wrapped sight, Limbdriver Pro Rest, Treelimb Premium Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by Whaack View Post
    Its not in many circumstances.
    I agree with you.

But there is so much grey area on this subject that it's hard to decipher what is legal and what is not. With all the people in the south midwest raising them or keeping them captive they must be on the positive of the grey area.

If I want to go buy one of these creatures in a fish store. Step right up for $$$$ it's all yours! Read the fine print "When your sick of it or it eats out your entire aquarium , please don't release into the river!!!"

That is one scary fish. It prey's on anything, has no natural predators, reproduces like crazy, can 'walk' on land and survive out of water for several days. It's nickname the 'Frankenfish'.

There are quite found each year, they have been caught out of the Rock River in Wisconsin.

PSE DNA
    Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg
    Carter Hammer
    Trophy Taker Smackdown

That is the same thing they said hear 5 years ago....I laughed then and I laugh now.

There is a reason that the Asian countries that love that fish want all the bass gone that have been imported....

The snakehead is a bad fish....and he is very aggressive...but they will get eaten by a bass before the bass will get eaten by a snakehead. And if you have a good bluecat and or striper population.....the snake head will be in even more trouble.

All I know is that I have caught them....have friends that have shot tons of them....so they are in the Potomac for good....but the other bass, catfish, striper, and all the others are still fine and there doesn't seem to be a shortage on big bags of bass being brought to the scales on the river either.
    HDI Staff Director....It's indoor season....is your bow treated with Phase Inhibitor?

Scott Archery CBE Feather Vision

Attached Images Attached Images

Fished for them in Thailand,good sport

yeah its not good, and its not a for sure on the white river, but it was found an a "bar ditch" going int the white. i grew up on the lower white and we have seen the numbers of the silver carp explode and a friend killed a 90lb big hed last year. snakeheads are very aggressive, and have lots of teeth, similar to a bullhead or grennel,

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    That is the same thing they said hear 5 years ago....I laughed then and I laugh now.

There is a reason that the Asian countries that love that fish want all the bass gone that have been imported....

The snakehead is a bad fish....and he is very aggressive...but they will get eaten by a bass before the bass will get eaten by a snakehead. And if you have a good bluecat and or striper population.....the snake head will be in even more trouble.

All I know is that I have caught them....have friends that have shot tons of them....so they are in the Potomac for good....but the other bass, catfish, striper, and all the others are still fine and there doesn't seem to be a shortage on big bags of bass being brought to the scales on the river either.
    Go ahead and keep your blinders on Hornet.

Did you ever watch people shooting ASIAN CARP on the Mississippi River or Missouri River with a bow. The vast population of these garbage fish have over run the population of other fish by ten fold and could cause a major major problem if they get into the great lakes. Which has already happened I'm sure. Your tax dollars are paying for Electric Fences to run accross the rivers causing vibrations that the fish run into and kill themselves.

Scientists said this 15 years ago was going to happen with the ASIAN CARP and no one ever listened!

But hey this won't either, your right

Some people don't realize a problem until it becomes one!

they can get up to 60 inches, what bass will eat that? esp when its more aggressive? 2 got let go into a lake in michigan, than 2 years later you couldnt catch a fish, drained the lake and there was only 18 of those nasty creatures. ive seen silver carp completly ruin small river lakes on the white river. they can love them over seas, i love my fish here so they are a marked target for us, and our bowfishing crew

Quote Originally Posted by djmaxwe View Post
    I have never seen one , who can post a pic of this thing. Really I have no clue of what you guy's are talking about.
    Hope this helps. They can also crawl out of the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j3dgu; May 1st, 2008 at 06:31 PM.
    Bow Junkie, Archery Addict and Killer of Foam

We have the flying carp here in St.L....fun to shoot!
    Alpine Fireball F1

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike View Post
    Go ahead and keep your blinders on Hornet.

Did you ever watch people shooting ASIAN CARP on the Mississippi River or Missouri River with a bow. The vast population of these garbage fish have over run the population of other fish by ten fold and could cause a major major problem if they get into the great lakes. Which has already happened I'm sure. Your tax dollars are paying for Electric Fences to run accross the rivers causing vibrations that the fish run into and kill themselves.

Scientists said this 15 years ago was going to happen with the ASIAN CARP and no one ever listened!

But hey this won't either, your right

Some people don't realize a problem until it becomes one!

No body is saying that snakeheads are going to take over...carp are not like other fish....sorry they aren't. I know the stories behind the carp.

But sorry I don't agree and heaven forbid people don't agree
    HDI Staff Director....It's indoor season....is your bow treated with Phase Inhibitor?

Quote Originally Posted by j3dgu View Post
    Hope this helps. They can also crawl out of the water.
    and that has been debunked so many times by different experts and scientist that it isn't even funny.....

they look like they have teeth figure they eat live bait, so do walleyes and northern and trout, they taste good.

Do snake fish taste good or they like gar?

This thread reminds me of a big problem most people wouldn't even be aware of: Tiger Mussels.

They are destructive little suckers. They screw up the ecosystem (from near the bottom up) and they are a huge pain for manufacturing plants and shipping on rivers.

The balance gets very upset...but a new balance eventually emerges. Unfortunately, several species meet their end as a sacrifice for the new balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooby View Post
    This thread reminds me of a big problem most people wouldn't even be aware of: Tiger Mussels.

They are destructive little suckers. They screw up the ecosystem (from near the bottom up) and they are a huge pain for manufacturing plants and shipping on rivers.

The balance gets very upset...but a new balance eventually emerges. Unfortunately, several species meet their end as a sacrifice for the new balance.
    so true. people really should be more aware of how much distruction they are doing to nature, or care what they are doing. "man" is the worst thing to happen to the ecosystem.

they can get up to 60 inches, what bass will eat that? esp when its more aggressive? 2 got let go into a lake in michigan, than 2 years later you couldnt catch a fish,drained the lake and there was only 18 of those nasty creatures. ive seen silver carp completly ruin small river lakes on the white river. they can love them over seas, i love my fish here so they are a marked target for us, and our bowfishing crew
    I may have missed something.....when did they drain Lake Michigan?

Scott (just checking) B

Game and Fish Departments threaten fishing not Snakehead fish

Snakehead fish have been raised in ponds with Brown Trout, Carp, Catfish and Tilapia. The Northern (Gus) Snakehead, Channa argus), is native to rivers along numerous Trout, Salmon, Catfish, Pike, Perch and three Eurasian Walleye-type, the Zander. A world record size bass was caught in a Japanese lake that holds Snakehead fish as well as numerous Largemouth bass over 18 pounds. Pennsylvania wildlife watched bream decimate Snakehead fish offspring while the parent Snakeheads try to drive the bream off. I have held Snakehead with my bare hands. The Snakehead fish is a great target for bow fishermen and great to catch on line as well as being great to eat.
    I wrote to two Game and Fish Agencies warning them about Asian Carp decades ago. I am against introducing anything unless it is thoroughly studied. The only real danger from Snakehead fish is by letting Game and Fish Agencies poison our waterways to kill them. When they poison the Snakehead fish they also poison Trout, Salmon, Perch, Bass, Buffalo fish, Carp, Gar, Bowfin, Suckers, Bass and Bream. They kill all fishing and bowfishing for years.

The problem is that some oriental's turn them lose and harvest them later for profit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast