Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boots for backcountry elk hunts

Boots for backcountry elk hunts

Just curious what others will be using. I'm leaning towards the Lacrosse Broadside, or Danner pronghorn.

I've Gone Trad

if i get to go this year, it'll be Kennetrek Mountain Extreme 400's....

Irish setter Field Trackers and a pair of Merrell Hiking boots (for heavy pack ins/outs).

-ZA
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

I can vouch for the Lacrosse Broadsides. They were very comfortable on my week long elk hunt last year.

Danner Pronghorn. Elk hunting doesn't nessecetate fancy footwear, IMO. Just good solid boots yuo can put lots of miles in.

Quote Originally Posted by ELITE@LAST View Post
    if i get to go this year, it'll be Kennetrek Mountain Extreme 400's....
    I second that, I used to wear Meindl's but I picked up a pair of Kenetrek's a few months back Wow they are amazing.

Coon
    Coon....Go deep and hunt hard
    Hoyt CRX32
    Back Gold Ignite, Trophy Taker Pronghorn, Fuse Quiver, Scott Rhino XT
    Easton ACC360, 28 1/2" draw, 60lbs, 420 grns, 261fps
    ><>

Russell boots, there made to order ...for your feet
    http://www.russellmoccasin.com/main.html
    Hoyt Carbon Matrix ld
    Hoyt UltraElite & Pro Elite

If you're hunting the sage flats or maybe some rocky stuff, I'm sure the Pronghorns would be fine. But if you're going into the steeps and anywhere that's wet, I'd steer clear of them.

I was thinking about getting a pair of Pronghorns a while back, but I haven't read a whole lot of good about them. Atleast as far as being a good durable boot that will last several seasons. I've got the Danner Elk Hunters and have put 100's of miles on them hunting and training with no problems other than they're a little heavy.
    Bowtech Insanity 29" 70LB - love it
    Elite GTO G1 70lb 29" CRACKERIZED!!
    Customized Bowtech Beast 70lb 29" CRACKERIZED!!

For steep country, heavy weights, and a lot of miles, go with Lowa, Kennetrek, Hanwag, or Meindl. The first three are the best brands available, and probably interchangeable. I've got a pair of Meindls.....they're great, but the Lowas beat them out slightly. You've got to pay to get any of these, but you get what you pay for, and they're the best.

Listen to Deathbringer. That's good info. If you hunt steep backcountry with a heavy pack you need a stiffer boot with a hard sole and a mountaineering design. The brands he mentions are the ones I'd consider. Lacrosse and Danners are a completely different class of boot that don't have anywhere near the support. I have the Meindl Denalis from Cabelas. A great boot and very comfortable. I still have an old pair of Danners (frontier) that I wear sometimes in easy country. Wearing them in the sttep stuff feels completely inadequate. Kinda feels like driving without your seatbelt on.

Not sure if you saw this, but I just had a big thread on boot selection for Elk hunting.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=679568

I bought a couple pairs of Danner pronghorns and returned them, mainly because they didn't fit my feet at all. Not something I wanted to hike all day in. I then went to LL Bean because they had a good selection of hiking and backpacking boots that I could try on. I bought a set of all leather day hikers and wore them around for a few days, good quality boots but I developed a hotspot in one of the boots, so I returned them. Then I was down to EMS or Cabelas for trying on boots. Cabelas has the Meindls(perfekt hiker was the one I was interested in) and EMS has the Asolos.

Long story short, once I tried on the Asolos at EMS I never made it to Cabelas. The TPS 520 was the most comfortable boot I had ever put on. The guy who helped me at EMS was fantastic, really knew his stuff about hiking and backpacking boots. I also got fitted for Superfeet insoles while I was there and I highly recommend them for whatever boots you get. I tried the orange, green and blue and went with the orange. All have varying degrees of arch support. The Asolos are kind of pricey ($230) but a very well made boot.
    Last edited by Meleagris1; May 7th, 2008 at 10:47 AM.

Do you have a link to the Aolos boots?

-ZA

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Not sure if you saw this, but I just had a big thread on boot selection for Elk hunting.

I bought a couple pairs of Danner pronghorns and returned them, mainly because they didn't fit my feet at all. Not something I wanted to hike all day in. I then went to LL Bean because they had a good selection of hiking and backpacking boots that I could try on. I bought a set of all leather day hikers and wore them around for a few days, good quality boots but I developed a hotspot in one of the boots, so I returned them. Then I was down to EMS or Cabelas for trying on boots. Cabelas has the Meindls(perfekt hiker was the one I was interested in) and EMS has the Asolos.

Long story short, once I tried on the Asolos at EMS I never made it to Cabelas. The TPS 520 was the most comfortable boot I had ever put on. The guy who helped me at EMS was fantastic, really knew his stuff about hiking and backpacking boots. I also got fitted for Superfeet insoles while I was there and I highly recommend them for whatever boots you get. I tried the orange, green and blue and went with the orange. All have varying degrees of arch support. The Asolos are kind of pricey ($230) but a very well made boot.

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!

Meindl Perfekt 7" Hiker

Early season Colorado, good hikers will be better than "hunting boots" as I will be backcountry.
    2007 Martin Bangal 70# - True glo 5 pin sight - WB rest - CX 300 - Thunder Head 100g BH - S Coil

If you want to only buy one pair of boots for the rest of your hard-hunting days, then look at White's Boots. They are made as tough as nails for backcountry firefighters and are the most comfortable boot you'll ever find. I ordered some last year and couldn't be happier. Sure, they are more than twice the price, but you'll buy 6 pairs of any that you mentioned before you wear out the White's. Order now, though, because it is a long waiting list once fire season starts.
    Hunt hard, learn something everyday in the woods, never give in, and that's the moment the big bull will step out broadside.

Bring a GPS. It's awkward to eat your hunting partners.

Those look nice Paul. Very similar to my Merrell Phasers...

http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/...-Gore-Tex.aspx

I haven't had to use the Merrell's much b/c we ain't killed and elk yet.

I hope to rectify that situation this Sept.

-ZA

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!

Kennetrek Boots are awesome boots. They last much longer than the Danner Pronghorns if you are going to be hunting them hard and putting alot of miles into them. The danners will only hold up for 1 season, where you will get many more seasons out of the Kennetreks. Personally, I switched to the Asolo Fugatives and LOVE them.. They are more of a hiking boot, but they are sturdy, comfortable and made to hike the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_ID View Post
    If you want to only buy one pair of boots for the rest of your hard-hunting days, then look at White's Boots. They are made as tough as nails for backcountry firefighters and are the most comfortable boot you'll ever find. I ordered some last year and couldn't be happier. Sure, they are more than twice the price, but you'll buy 6 pairs of any that you mentioned before you wear out the White's. Order now, though, because it is a long waiting list once fire season starts.
    Whites kick A their also made in spokane washington and its cool you can go in their and watch them make the boots!
    2012 elite hunter Nap Apache Vital Bow gear Star track FMJ'S tipped with a RAGE 172 p&y

2012 Hoyt vantage pro Spotthogg hogg father Goldtip 22 396

Paul,
    When I was doing my boot search, the 520s made my top 3... Great boot! The Lowas fit my feet better but between Lowa, Meindl, Asolo, Raichle and the Crestas the quality is a wash. All are excellent boots, it is just a matter of figuring which boots fit your feet the best. You found a great pair of boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post

Cabelas Danner Elk Hunter

Good comments from everyone...but I do have to say I love my Danner Pronghorns. They are extremely comfortable, durable, lightweight, supportive and completely waterproof. From the customer reviews on Cabela's site there are not many boots that have received better reviews. They may not suit your purposes, and certainly to each his own, but most people consider them to be one of the best all-round boots out there.

Rough mountainous terrain could well demand a different boot, but I just felt I had to speak up about some of the pretty negative comments about the Pronghorns.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

Danner Pronghorns are a great all around boot, lasted me well for 3 years but I am needed more ankle support now.
    If I had good ankles I wouldn't change.
    I have went with the Meindl's and will give them a good try before giving my review. Maybe after this month I will have put some good miles on them.
    To enter the woods in pursuit of a wild animal, brings my soul alive, It renews the energy within and brings a peace to my life.
    It puts things in perspective, it gives value to life, and perseverance through difficulties.
    It gives me an understanding of what makes me tick!

Pronghorns are great boots for moderate terrain. Very comfortable, but they are definitely not what you want when you are traversing a steep shale slope with a 50 lb pack on your back.

because they were my three best selling boots last year i decided to do my own field test on LaCrosse Broadside non-ins, Danner Pronghorn non-ins, and Kenetrek Mountain Extreme non-ins.

the LaCrosse was moderately comfortable out of the box, and comfort remained the same through the life of the boot. unfortunately the stability started to break down after about 400 miles (12 weeks) and they developed a nasty squeak in the left boot. overall performance grade: B-. for the same money as the Pronghorn, they don't hold up.

the Danners were more comfortable than the LaCrosse out of the box (even though the platform is very similar, the instep had a little more give). as with the Broadsides, the comfort level remained constant throughtout the life of the boot, but the stability in the shank and ankle broke down very quickly. overall performance: B+

of the three, kenetrek impressed me from day one. they felt great to wear (although I did add a Sole heat-molded footbed for added comfort) right out of the box. as they broke in (extremely rigid midsole and ankle support) they felt even better. NicWax Aqueous wax was used to preserve the leather without softening it. i've put almost 1000 miles on these boots and they look, feel, and perform like they are less than a month old. Added bonus, if you do ever wear out the soles, send them in and a cobbler in bozeman can re-sole them for a very minimal fee.

hands down the best boot i've ever sold or worn... jim wanted to build a sheep-hunters boot, and he ended up building one of the best boots on the market.
    Hoyt Faktor 34, Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg, Carbon Injexion, Ripcord Code Red
    "Through the heart and through the lungs... look out Bambi, here it comes"
    *** Kenetrek Boot and Sitka Gear dealer ***

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast