a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Alternative Archery Services

Alternative Archery Services

Im planning on ordering a new bow from Alt. Archery Services. Could anyone here tell my what the approximate shipping costs would be for a bow being sent to Florida, or any southeastern state for that matter. I am worried because of the fact that they are European based that the money i would save on the equipment whould be counteracted by the shipping costs.
    thanks in advance,
    Welsch

cost

Cost is usually $30-40, takes about a week to arrive.

You can check the estimate shipping option and they will let you know the shipping cost before confirming the actual order. They will usually get back to you the next day with that.

dave

I've ordered from them a few times, and delivery has been very prompt - just 3-5 days.
    You can ask for shipping costs before you finalize the order.
    If I recall, my costs were about $30 for limbs and a few accessories. Because of the shipping cost, I generally try to pool my purchases with friends at my club or limit my purchases to major items.

I also order from them often, when your receive the "order recieved" email, you can even reply to that and ask questions, the are very prompt and personal and will answer every time. A tube of arrows cost me about $12 to ship, some other items mostly $20, and suggest riser and limbs probably close to $30 or so as everyone else said.
    The big shipping cost comes with things like bow cases, as much as 70-80 USD, but I did that once with a riser, limbs and everytinig I could think of (except the arrows) and they stuffed it all in the case and that was that.
    Great Service, you can ask them anything anytime. Usually, at the risk of being redundant, it all arrives in about 5 days.
    Many items the prices are so good it out weighs the shipping cost, except fo some US Major Brands you'd buy here anyway.

I find it best to let them handle how shipped, and it works well every time.

The bows I've received from them were all about $30 thru Royal Mail with insurance.
    Jack

I know they've done a deal that if you buy 3 packs of kurly vanes you get free shipping. I've taken advantage of this many times when I didn't mind waiting 3 weeks for them to get here. This offer might be if all your order is only kurly vanes, but you could always ask.

Get an estimate from them before ordering. I ordered something lighter than what you're planning and they charged me twice as much as people mentinoed by mistake. When I asked them to adjust the shipping they got ugly with me. The customer is not always right over there!!

Why not buy from Lancaster, Ten Ring or K1 here in the US?

Don't know what you're planning to buy but a Hoyt Nexus goes for $501 at Alternative but it's only $429 at Lancaster or Ten Ring. No deal there.
    Last edited by sadarcher; May 12th, 2008 at 11:13 AM.

my 3 main sources have always been LAS, alternative, and sometimes K1( aside from the AT classifieds!!)......i buy US made stuff only from LAS or K1...european and korean mostly from altservices.....all are great to deal with....
    two x-factor(25") set-ups with sure-loc supreme/ quest-x /hoyt super rest,cavalier champion II rest,beiter plunger and clicker, soma cex2 29" rod, doinker chubby backweight,fomax damper,jager grips....70" 26# samick athlete limbs..68" 34# border HEX5-H mk2 limbs..32# 68" border CXG limbs...mckinney II 725 arrows...PLUS spigarelli explorer II barebow riser..

Quote Originally Posted by jmvargas View Post
    my 3 main sources have always been LAS, alternative, and sometimes K1( aside from the AT classifieds!!)......i buy US made stuff only from LAS or K1...european and korean mostly from altservices.....all are great to deal with....
    Pretty much do the same, other than just adding stuff in while at one place or the other when the cost isn't different enough to make much of.

As for the Service of Altservices, I've ordered from them often, and never had anything ugly happen, in fact very personable contact.
    Always able to respond to the confirmation or dispatched emails with questions, the sales email address, also at bottom of all emails, and they will respond quickly.
    Had Item missing, once, they didn't even question my saying I couldn't find it, and immediately sent it to me free of charge (fast shipping, and cost), and sent me an apology email.

All three are great, IMO, and each have special qualities and knowing what to buy and where is the key to saving a bit of dough, though honestly, I'm more of an "I want it now" buyer, so if one has it in stock and one doesn't, I buy from instock even if it's $20 more or whatever. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post
    As for the Service of Altservices, I've ordered from them often, and never had anything ugly happen, in fact very personable contact.
    I didn't have any problem with them until I asked why they charged so much for shipping and they said "I'm surprised you're complaining about something that weighed 16 US lbs." I wouldn't have complained but the package was marked 8 US lbs on the shipping lable and I weighed it to be sure. When I mentioned they overcharged me 8 lbs worth of shipping, they got ugly. They said "see if you can get shipping on your own for that amount!" I never did get a credit, only a series of insults via several emails.

I actually tried to stop the order before they shipped it and they conviently didn't answer my emails until after they shipped it.

The item turned out to be a piece of junk so it was $200 down the toilet.
    Last edited by sadarcher; May 13th, 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadarcher View Post
    The item turned out to be a piece of junk so it was $200 down the toilet.
    what was the item?
    (this is an electronic post; no signature is required)

Spig string jig. Alternative says they use it for making all their strings. I doubt it as the ends of the posts are too big to get the finished loops off, the posts are too close together and not high enough. The length adj screw goes thru a piece of aluminum that galls and wears out. The bases for the arms gall the aluminum when you rotate them. There's so much slack in the 2 long pieces, it's hard to get all your threads the same tension. The aluminum is so weak you can't use a clamp to fasten it to your bench. You need to use some type of strap clamps. I only wanted it because it wasn't that expensive, it collapsed to a smaller size for storage and it was lightweight aluminum. They charged me shipping for a steel jig that was twice the weight.

I did a review of this jig in the past.

Spig string jig. Alternative says they use it for making all their strings. I doubt it as the ends of the posts are too big to get the finished loops off, the posts are too close together and not high enough. The length adj screw goes thru a piece of aluminum that galls and wears out. The bases for the arms gall the aluminum when you rotate them. There's so much slack in the 2 long pieces, it's hard to get all your threads the same tension. The aluminum is so weak you can't use a clamp to fasten it to your bench. You need to use some type of strap clamps. I only wanted it because it wasn't that expensive, it collapsed to a smaller size for storage and it was lightweight aluminum. They charged me shipping for a steel jig that was twice the weight.

I did a review of this jig in the past.
    Interesting in that over on the Arrows & Strings forum there is a post where the individual praises his beloved Spigarelli serving tools over all others.

sad, my suggestion to you would be not to order from Alternative Services anymore. That should make things a lot better.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Interesting in that over on the Arrows & Strings forum there is a post where the individual praises his beloved Spigarelli serving tools over all others.

sad, my suggestion to you would be not to order from Alternative Services anymore. That should make things a lot better.

Dave
    Dave,

My review was of Spigarelli's String Making Jig, not their serving tools. You can see from my description of posts and arms and clamping it to a bench that I wasn't talking about the serving tool. I haven't seen anyone praise the string making jig. If you wish to buy the string making jig after reading the problems I described, have at it. I'm sure Spigarelli's other products are better quality.

Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't bought from them since they stuck it to me. Hopefully it won't happen to someone else either with a low quality string jig or over charging for shipping. I wish someone had put out a post warning me of them as I've seen plenty of people talk of their rude mannerisms since I ordered.
    Last edited by sadarcher; May 13th, 2008 at 04:32 PM.

Dave,

My review was of Spigarelli's String Making Jig, not their serving tools. You can see from my description of posts and arms and clamping it to a bench that I wasn't talking about the serving tool. I haven't seen anyone praise the string making jig. If you wish to buy the string making jig after reading the problems I described, have at it.
    I bought this jig from Altservices a year ago about. I've made tons of recurve strings on it and still do, and knew from the get go that if someone was to over-tighten the bolts as if it was steel, problems would occur. Aluminum grips pretty good with modest tightening. That being said, it would be better if it were stronger, I agree, but then it would be heavy.
    I happen to love that jig, and I don't have it mounted at all, use it unmounted, and it's simplicity allows me to whip out a string in 30min.
    I do however, have little wedges I made, so when the string is put under tension to stretch or center serve on the jig, I can crank the winder and not put unwanted pressure on the post-bar bolts.

Two of the strings I made from that jig, were on bows that won tournaments (I'd have to attribute that to the Archer, but it's nice having the notoriety). Never had a problem with strand tension, or getting the loops off for a recurve loop size, it's fine to me.

Never had a bad experience with Altservices either (I was missing something from one order, one time, and when I alerted them they didn't even question it, just sent it to me at no cost refunding my money (though it was only a $18 item) with an apology email). They've always been pleasant and personal with me.

That's my experience regarding the jig and the company in question regarding this thread.

Many of us however, have different experiences with different retailers, and though there may be many bad ones out there regarding this company, this is the first one I've heard (no need to send me links to them, thanks)).

This was the reason for me praise to their service, and yet, it seems there are conflicting opinions as always. It's too bad to hear someone having a bad experience with a company I happen to praise often.
    I also praise K1-Archery, and LAS often, and have not ever had a bad (quite the opposite) experience with those retailers either as I've purchased often from them as well.

I work for a major retailer (not Archery Equipment), and yes, most transactions go well, and unfortunately, some don't.
    Part of the game.

I've been using Altservices since I first encountered a catalogue of theirs in Liverpool back in 2000.. I've returned items to them twice, and have had no issues with them. They may sometimes lack syntactic sugar in their emails, but they get the job done

I once asked them for recommendations on buying a case long enough to fit my 41T4G centraliser - the response was to use a shorter centraliser I got another response from them the same day recommending some actual cases as well. It amused me..
    Amateur recurve archer, professional coder
    Targetscheme is dead, try XCount

PSE X-Factor w/Jager grip, Samick Extremes, MKIIs w/X-Wings, SureLoc Quest-X w/Titan scope, Beiter 41T4G + 3inch pin extender, 90x0 vbar, Cartel Multirod twins

Thumbs up

Alternative is a very good source, you just have to consider that large items will cost a lot to ship.

Also be aware that most US built products are cheaper from a US seller. (Hoyt, Easton, Doinker, PSE, SureLoc, etc.) They are a great source for some specialty items that we just get here, or Europeon, or Asian produced products.

I usually wait until I have several items that I want, and order it all in 1 order.

I bought this jig from Altservices a year ago about.
    Raptor,

Would you mind tellling me how much shipping they charged you for the string jig? To get a quote you needed to give them your credit card number. I know they don't put how much weight it was on the invoice. I found out by accident when they slipped out and said they charged me for 16 lbs when it was clearly marked 8 lbs on the shipping label. Had they not told me it was 16 lbs, I would have thought that's how much 8 lbs cost to ship. When I asked them how much they charge for shipping something that weighs 8 lbs, that's when they lost it and started flinging insults. They don't want to be questioned how much they charge for shipping. I didn't think asking that was unreasonable. Most US companies try to offer fair and honest shipping and if they make a mistake will probably make an adjustment. I'm sure if Lancaster double charged someone, they'd make good on it.
    Last edited by sadarcher; May 16th, 2008 at 10:16 AM.

Raptor,

Would you mind tellling me how much shipping they charged you for the string jig? To get a quote you needed to give them your credit card number. I know they don't put how much weight it was on the invoice. I found out by accident when they slipped out and said they charged me for 16 lbs when it was clearly marked 8 lbs on the shipping label. Had they not told me it was 16 lbs, I would have thought that's how much 8 lbs cost to ship. When I asked them how much they charge for shipping something that weighs 8 lbs, that's when they lost it and started flinging insults. They don't want to be questioned how much they charge for shipping. I didn't think asking that was unreasonable. Most US companies try to offer fair and honest shipping and if they make a mistake will probably make an adjustment. I'm sure if Lancaster double charged someone, they'd make good on it.
    Good point, I ordered other things when I ordered the jig (I also try wait until I have similar length or larger quantities of products needed before ordering), so for starters, and since there are records of my orders there, here's what was in the order:
    tem Qty Product Description
    1 1 Arco Sport Spigarelli String Making Jig
    2 2 BCY Inc. Model 26 Bowstring Serving Tool
    3 1 Kurly Vanes Dayglow RH Green 45mm
    4 1 Alternative Glow Wrap Dayglow Orange
    5 1 Alternative Lining Tape
    6 8 Cartel X-PERT shaft 660
    7 10 Cartel X-PERT point 90gn
    8 12 Cartel X-PERT Nock green

Total cost for shipping for all of this, was $38 USD (from UK, I thought this was fair, and like that I can buy any quantity of Cartel Shafts that I shoot for one purpose (ACE 620s for other, and believe it or not the X-Pert nocks, being so different, I thought I'd try but keep for serving reference, as using Pin Nocks for XPerts, and Beiter for ACE), I've always let them decide shipping method as it's always been acceptable and yet remember, this was some time ago, but I will check as I also keep record of the invoices on the computer, when dispatched, I'll look there as this record doesn't show the weight of all this (or individuale weight), but the other might (don't have package anymore).
    Get back to you....

Well, the electronic invoice doesn't have weight either, and package/packing slip long gone. Sorry.

Good point, I ordered other things when I ordered the jig (I also try wait until I have similar length or larger quantities of products needed before ordering), so for starters, and since there are records of my orders there, here's what was in the order:
    tem Qty Product Description
    1 1 Arco Sport Spigarelli String Making Jig
    2 2 BCY Inc. Model 26 Bowstring Serving Tool
    3 1 Kurly Vanes Dayglow RH Green 45mm
    4 1 Alternative Glow Wrap Dayglow Orange
    5 1 Alternative Lining Tape
    6 8 Cartel X-PERT shaft 660
    7 10 Cartel X-PERT point 90gn
    8 12 Cartel X-PERT Nock green

Total cost for shipping for all of this, was $38 USD (from UK, I thought this was fair,
    Thanks for checking Rapture!!

That does sound fair as I paid almost $70 USD shipping just for the string making jig alone and you paid only $38. Looks like they really stuck it to me BIG TIME!!! I wonder why they did that to me and were so ugly and rude about it as I probably would have made more orders had they refunded the excessive amount. I've bought alot of archery gear since then including several sets of limbs and risers. It's just hard to understand why they wouldn't just say "Sorry, we charged you for a heavier steel jig by mistake and we'll make good on it" unless this is something they do quite regularly to boost their profit margin.
    Last edited by sadarcher; May 16th, 2008 at 02:14 PM.

Wow! $70 is a lot, and yet I almost expected to pay something like that due to it's length. A case I ordered, due to it's length and size recently, cost me $80, but I stuffed some things into it that I needed as well, to help balance the shipping cost (and didn't change it at all. Cases, large ones even in US, if not shipped ground, cost close to that if you want it fast as well).
    But still, that's quite a bit more than what I expected (obviously, you must have been shocked).
    I know they have been working with different shipping methods this year not only for fast delivery, but lower costs to outside UK. They even asked me once when trying a new service, if I could let them know as soon as it arrived, so they could record the time it was taking.
    I always leave the box (let us choose) checked, for shipping method, if I choose something else, it's going to usually cost more, and with this option checked, they will ship at the lowest rate they can get.

As before, when I had that Item missing or questions, I always reply to the "Dispatched email", "sales at altservices", it seems the reply is quick and personal and usually it's very kind and personable, and the response is nothing but trying to be helpful (seems like it's always one of the Goodwins that personally replies (maybe more sales oriented, keep customer happy and all that and have the power to correct things, and you situation doesn't sound like their nature).

If you called, I don't know who you would have talked to, but maybe the person that shipped it the wrong way and they actually did have to pay that much (choose the wrong method, and it will) and didn't want to own up to the mistake.

Never the less, its a bummer. I would have thought they would have made good, unless you chose a specific shipping method, and they had no choice, but doesn't sound like that's what happened

Dillon,
    Did you get your bow yet?