Thread: Rangefinder question-Nikon 550 ID or Bushnell 1000 ARC?

Rangefinder question-Nikon 550 ID or Bushnell 1000 ARC?

For those of you that have used either, what do you think about them?

What color is the readout on these units?

Any drawbacks between the two?

To enter the woods in pursuit of a wild animal, brings my soul alive, It renews the energy within and brings a peace to my life.
    It puts things in perspective, it gives value to life, and perseverance through difficulties.
    It gives me an understanding of what makes me tick!

arc????

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I think the arc thing is the biggest load of bull they have tried to push on archers yet. If you use the old A squared + B squared = C squared, you will see that a 50 yard shot from the ground only read 50.68 yards if 25 feet up in a tree? Do you really need to pay extra to subtract that yard? When hunting, can you tell the difference anyway???? I don't have a 51 yard pin anyway Once again, sorry for butting in. I use a cheap sport that works great for me, $105 off ebay.
    Steve (Bartman)
    Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ, and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. So make sure you pray for our soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman3562 View Post
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I think the arc thing is the biggest load of bull they have tried to push on archers yet. If you use the old A squared + B squared = C squared, you will see that a 50 yard shot from the ground only read 50.68 yards if 25 feet up in a tree? Do you really need to pay extra to subtract that yard? When hunting, can you tell the difference anyway???? I don't have a 51 yard pin anyway Once again, sorry for butting in. I use a cheap sport that works great for me, $105 off ebay.
    You're asssuming your 25' up in a tree in flatass Kansas. Think outside the box. Mule Deer at 60 yards down at the bottom of a cliff in the Colorado Rockies is going to mean upwards of 10 yards difference - i.e. a miss counted by feet if you don't compensate for the angle.

I cut 14 yards on a shot at an elk two years ago, a bull in full velvet in late august, I shot over his back because I didn't cut enough yardage!

If you have a 50 yard limit it doesn't matter much, but on some guys they actually get more accurate at longer ranges.....at least more consistent. We proved that at the AT hog hunt.
    To enter the woods in pursuit of a wild animal, brings my soul alive, It renews the energy within and brings a peace to my life.
    It puts things in perspective, it gives value to life, and perseverance through difficulties.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by elksniper View Post
    You're asssuming your 25' up in a tree in flatass Kansas. Think outside the box. Mule Deer at 60 yards down at the bottom of a cliff in the Colorado Rockies is going to mean upwards of 10 yards difference - i.e. a miss counted by feet if you don't compensate for the angle.
    You are correct. If you were 36 yards (108 feet) above a mule deer that was 60 yards away, my range finder would read 70 yards. I don't think outside the box that far because that isn't a shot I would take.
    Sorry, just my opinion, not to be taken as a bash on people who do. I believe everyone has the right to make there own decisions.
    Steve (Bartman)
    Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ, and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. So make sure you pray for our soldiers.

I have the nikon rifle hunter and like it alot,easy to use.

You are correct. If you were 36 yards (108 feet) above a mule deer that was 60 yards away, my range finder would read 70 yards. I don't think outside the box that far because that isn't a shot I would take.
    Sorry, just my opinion, not to be taken as a bash on people who do. I believe everyone has the right to make there own decisions.
    I'd take it in a heartbeat with all factors considered - no wind, good shooting position, etc. No hesitation, especially if it was an elk with vitals the size of a 22" Escalade wheel. I wouln't take that shot while back in Indiana for multiple reasons - first I'd never get that much of an angle or have a clear shot through the heavy woods.

ANybody else?

Love the new nikon. It is flat out awesome.
    Mathews Heli-M Tactical 29.5" 60-70
    Mathews Creed Camo Riser/Black Limbs 29.5" 60-70
    Mathews Chill-R Tactical 29.5" 60-70
    Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg & Boss Hogg
    Fayette County & Allegheny County PA

Looking at these two rangefinders it shows a big difference in size of the units.
    The Nikon: 5.1" x 2.7" x 1.5"
    Bushnell: 3.1" x 2.8" x 1.6"

After reading up on them I think I will go with the Bushnell 1000 ARC, if anybody has any negatives to this unit I would like to hear them now....please.

I agree with BARTMAN3562 more of a gimmick I hunted KS.for 35yrs and WY. for 10yrs.my livings alt.is 5500ft.and hunt the mountains at up to 10,000ft. have not seen where it has made a differ. at any animal I have shot and practiced at on 3-D shoots and animals. At very steep angles out to a little over 50 yrds. and if it was not like a cliff real steep would never need to think about a ID or ARC. I live in a basin with mountains all around me the Big Horn Mountains East side and the Rockie Mountains less than 40 miles W. and the Yellow Stone National Park on the west side of me less than 70 miles.

Bushnell ARC

I had the Bushnell Elite 1500 ARc and loved it. Quick acquisition and easy readout. I just bought the Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC. The same qualities, but in a smaller, easy carry unit. I like the Bushnell price and performance.

ID&ARC more of a gimmick