Archery Talk Forum banner

hay bales?

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  sits in trees 
#1 ·
Practicing with hay bales [with paper targets] rather than purchasing target bags, is there a problem here; Either with the field arrows or with the broadheads? Also considering, I will be using both Slick Tricks and the mechanical 2 or 3 blade rage broadheads.:darkbeer:

#3 ·
wrinkled fletchings.

oh... and hay everywhere...

#4 ·
maybe straw, arrows will fly right thru hay without even slowing down. there are many homemade inexpensive tagets that you can make that will last a good long time. many have been discussed right on these boards..a couple
2x6s or plywood peices cranked down over certain layered materials (old carpeting) with racheting straps to compress whatever material is one i saw mentioned on a post here....

#6 ·
I have found that depending on the bales you're using, you may find yourself digging for broadheads(I've done this many times having missed the 3D target):eek:

You'll have no problems with field tips shooting into bales(done all the time at shooting ranges)

good luck

#7 ·
http://www.pabucks.com/homemade_target.html

This is one kinda like a block target. i was thinking of doing this but dont have the cash right now. pretty good idea in my opinion hard to say what would be the best thickness of foam to use i was thinking of 1 inch but looks like he used 1 1/2 - 2 inch stuff.

#8 ·
Carpet padding

Find some old carpet padding. Cut it 3-4 feet wide and roll it up very tightly until it is about the size of a garbage can. Use three or four strips of duct tape all the way around to hold it together.

Shoot away!

That's what I'm using for FTs and BHs. Works great. Both are stupid easy to remove.

I have a large garbage bag coming up from the bottom and another coming down from the top to keep it dry.

Best value for the $$.

#9 ·
i have shot into a round hay bale (not straw) when it was fresh. we had a local farmer drop us one off. it wore out pretty quick from being outside in the elements. pass throughs became a problem too. i have a morell yellow jacket bag target (field tips only) that has lasted several years with a couple people shooting it, but it is showing signs of wearing out. thus, i'm trying the "plastic bags stuffed in a feed sack" target. it has taken a while to acculmulate enough plastic bags though, i have heard the tighter you pack them in the longer they last. we'll see i guess.

#10 ·
Round Bales

I prefer the 5ft round bales to practice with. the arrows pull out easy and of course there is a bigger miss zone for the longer shots.

I turn the bale and shoot into the curved surface since it has a tighter weave. If you shoot into the flat surface, the arrow will bury too deep into the bale so as to be lost.
And hay is chepaer than a target in many parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.