Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mathew bow reviews (DXT, Drenalin,Switchback XT, & S2)

Mathew bow reviews (DXT, Drenalin,Switchback XT, & S2)

Ok, I have searched Mathews' bows because I'm in the process of looking into a new bow, and Mathews has really drawn my attention (I know everyone doesn't like them, and I'm not trying to start Mathews vs. x bow company). I've seen people ask questions about different bows that have came out recently. Today, I shot the DXT, Switchback XT, Drenalin, and the S2 (I know the XT and Drenalin have been out for a little while). I'm going to give my reviews:

DXT- What an awesome bow. Short, light, fast, accurate and quiet (which all the bows I shot are like that). The short ATA is a little different than usual. The draw cycle was great, but it wasn't the smoothiest one I shot. Overall, it was a great bow, but it wasn't me. It was extremely light, but that is a plus (seeing if you are going on a spot and stalk) and a negative (feels as if the wind could play a factor when in the woods).

Switchback XT- Excellent bow. A longer ATA than the DXT, but still just as nice. It was one of the smoothiest I shot all day. The draw cycle was better then the DXT in my opinion.

Drenalin- Nice bow. It was nice shooting, but I did have a few things I didn't like about it. The draw cycle was the worst out of all 4 bows I shot. It was light as the DXT, but it just had that draw that really disappointed me.

S2- Like the other bows, it was an awesome bow. It had the weight of the XT, and the ATA of the Drenalin. It is built like the Switchback and XT since S2 stands for Switchback 2. Of all the bows I shot, this was the one I loved the most. A real smooth draw, balanced weight, fast, and like all Mathews I've shot, quite. All-in-all, this is the bow that got my attention. I will be purchasing this one soon.

I wasn't trying to down any other company or any other Mathews' bows. Remember, this is from my aspect (I'm 17yrs, 5'10", 27.5" draw). I encourage anyone looking for a new bow to go out and do what I did. It will help you see the little things you like and dislike in any bow. I hope this helps people out, and please, feel free to ask questions.
    1 Timothy 2
    2013 Hoyt Charger "blacked out"

Thumbs up

Good report.

Good luck to you this fall!!!!

Post pics when you get it set-up.
    Mathews Z9 - HHA Slider - Trophy Taker Pronghorn Pro - B-Stinger Stabilizer - Fletcher Shorty - Grim Reaper Hybrid - Gold Tip Kinetic XT - Trueflight Feathers (Always)... _____ going to try Mission Dagger XB this season as well - Gold Tip Laser 3 - HHA Optimizer XB scope & adjustable mount system____ ___ - _________ Facebook: Hunters Choice Archery Pro Shop

This info straight from Mathews. The S2 is a switchback with a different (but same size) idler, and different camo. Now I would never fault any one for buying a NEW bow but you might save a ton of cash on a LN switchback from the classifieds. I too think the switchback/S2 is the best bow made to date for all-around use. Lots of others agree.
    "The Yankee Bowman"
    '13 LH Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL-60lb-Orange w/Black hardware
    '14 LH Hoyt Faktor 34-65lb- Realtree Xtra

Quote Originally Posted by standsitter View Post
    This info straight from Mathews. The S2 is a switchback with a different (but same size) idler, and different camo. Now I would never fault any one for buying a NEW bow but you might save a ton of cash on a LN switchback from the classifieds. I too think the switchback/S2 is the best bow made to date for all-around use. Lots of others agree.
    To me the S2 draws smoother than the SB..and is a little lighter.

Bama..There is really no bad choices of the bows you shot.
    I have had them all, I like the SB as will as the Dren.

What are you getting Black / Camo or both?
    JBK BOWSTRINGS With the 24 Month Guarantee on All sets of strings!
    www.jbkstrings.com

2014-2015 Team #24 - Team Center Punch

Camo. I believe the S2 only comes in camo (I did the customize thing on Mattews, and camo was all that was shown); however if I go with a DXT, I'm thinking about black riser and camo limbs, if I can do that. So right now, it's between the S2 and DXT and the S2 is winning out for me.
    1 Timothy 2

Thanks for the review's. Best of luck.
    Duck or Bleed.

Thanks everyone for your compliments and for your added on information.
    1 Timothy 2

Quote Originally Posted by bamabowhunter19 View Post
    Camo. I believe the S2 only comes in camo (I did the customize thing on Mattews, and camo was all that was shown); however if I go with a DXT, I'm thinking about black riser and camo limbs, if I can do that. So right now, it's between the S2 and DXT and the S2 is winning out for me.
    You can get the S2 in All Black also..
    Maybe that will push you towards it more...
    JBK BOWSTRINGS With the 24 Month Guarantee on All sets of strings!
    www.jbkstrings.com

2014-2015 Team #24 - Team Center Punch

Yea, I went to Mathews last night and noticed that. I was thinking about the SB XT. Now, I'm undecsive. S2 or DXT? AH! I like the way they both shot (I just started thinking about it). My dad is getting it for me for my graduation (told him I wanted a bow instead of a senior trip) Does anyone have some advice? I shot both, but I want the one that will benefit me in the long run.
    1 Timothy 2

You really can't go wrong with the DXT or the S2. That said I bought the S2 because it fit me better than the DXT. I did the same as you and shot all of them. I shoot just about every day and I like my S2 more and more every time I shoot it.

Oh well, I'm going to PM you rutnstrut
    1 Timothy 2

I LOVE my Swith Back X T,and will never sell it!
    I have shot the Drenelin,and it's ok , but didn't really do anything special for me.My son in law has won lots of shoots with his drenelin,and owns 2 of them.
    I think the DXT is ok for shorter draw length shooters,but not much over
    27" , and many I've talked to are not liking it!
    The S2 sounds intriuging , but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet.
    I'm looking for a 3-d dedicated bow,and I'll test the s2 before I buy!

I bought a DXT because it was short and light. But for me, it was too short and too light. I shot it for about two months and just couldn't seem to get the accuracy I wanted out of it, which was probably me and not the bow. I went and tried the Drenalin and the S2. To me the draw on the S2 was much smoother. I ordered the S2 and sold my DXT. I shoot it much better. It just seems too hold on the target better, probably due to the extra weight. It is probably a couple of ounces too heavy, but I can deal with that to get better accuracy.

I have a DXT and I shoot it better than a target bow, I am a 28dl and the peep distance is fine for me. everybody is different, but I definitely miss my switch xt, I don't think you'll be disappointed with any you choose, just figure out what you want to do with it and make your decision from there. I got my dren ld hoping to shoot lots of spots this winter and only made it 4-5 times and I shoot my dxt and gto better anyway, point being each bow fits a person different and its good you shot what you were interested in

I would like to Thank You and welcome you to the dark side, any choice would be excellent, as with all bows these days, there is no bad choices you have to go with what you like the best! It's alot of money, spend it wisely and get the best you can afford. Shoot Straight.

Good review!

What I want to know is are you going to AU or UofA this fall?

WAR EAGLE

Great reviews! Seems that one of the major advertising "advantages" (light weight) really isn't that popular....
    Keep smiling… It makes people wonder what you’ve been up to.

Good review. The Switchback (S2) is one of my all time favorite bows. Each has its place. Maybe you should have more than one Mathews, as I do. This morning the Drenalin LD shot really good for me.

5R
    Mathews Solocam, Chill, and MRs
    Scott Archery Releases/CBE Sights
    Starrflight FOBs, GoldTip Arrows
    Trophy Taker Shuttle-T
    Leupold Optics & Rangefinders

Agree 100% with your review.

I tested the 3 new guys this year. And the S2 does it all for me.

I've got an XT and love it and doubt I will ever part with it. I'm looking at other math. bows right now but will keep the XT.

I just purchased the DXT. I think this is most likely the bow I will die with unless I just can't pull it one day. It's small but very accurate. I agree with everyone here that you really can't make a bad choice out of the ones you are looking at. The important thing is to give yourself time to learn the bow before deciding you made a mistake. If you decide the features are right for you, and then after taking it home, you decide you made a mistake, be patient. There is a learning curve with every bow and none of them will feel "perfect" until you've shot it for a few weeks. Think of them like cars. You get a new car, loving everything about it, yet it feels strange driving it and you're not nearly as comfortable as you were in your old car. Yet a few weeks later, you almost forget that it's a new car. Good luck and I'm impressed by your dedication, choosing a new bow over a field trip. Not many people your age would make that choice. I'm sure your Dad is proud as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TRL242 View Post
    I think this is most likely the bow I will die with
    Till death do us part...you Mathews guys sure are hardcore.
    Keep smiling… It makes people wonder what you’ve been up to.

i have owned many mathews bows and loved all of them,well i got me a dld and for me it is the best yet,out of the box perfect bullet holes. setting it up was easy.it has a37 ata good for hunting and 3d have fun.
    jeremiah 29:12 proverbs 2:6

mathews

I have the dren and the switchback. Traded for both recently for a synergy and x-force ss. They were great bows but the draw was harder on my shoulder. Went with the two mathews. Both are great bows. Would not like to part with any of them. Both are shoulder friendly and smooth as silk. The switchback is a bit smoother and heavier which holds on the target better, but the dren is smoother and faster. Each one has it's place. For the ground blind I will go with the switchback, but the treestand and ambush sling the dren for manueverability. Haven't shot the S2 but I think I would prefer the heavier switchback.

i just bought a mat hew heli m. i first bought a bow tech insanity. the insanity is a very fast bow, however its very long, and the color sucks. it also appeared to have a lot of noise as the arrow released and flew threw the air. the heli m isn't as fast, about 25 fps second slower. however its extremely light and quite. its awesomely smooth and quite forgiving for a short bow. i am shooting bemoan 340 and i am getting close to the fps that was stated the bow got . so far very impressed. another thing is i don't want to get ready for a big hunt and all of a sudden have a timing issue with the bowtechs, which i hear happen all too often, i decided to stick to the tried and true mathews. also heard that bow tech took a huge dive with their customer service last year, concerning crossbows, so a lot of bow shops in michigan dumped bow tech all together, but thats a different story in itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast