a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G5 Expert II Rest...Uncensored Unabridged

Thumbs up G5 Expert II Rest...Uncensored Unabridged

The fine individuals at G5 have increased their product offerings significantly over the last year and being a Southpaw I'm normally a little behind on testing the new stuff

I did get my hands on their new Expert II arrow drop-away arrow rest. The rest did not disappoint and as always G5 has the bowhunters in mind This rest is simple, well-built and above all---->QUIET

The launcher for this rest will not give you any noise when drawing as is the case on some types of rests...this material allows carbon or aluminum to slide over it noise-free
    To adjust the right/left you loosen the set screw to the right and spin the roller to where you want it...quick, simple and painless

The Expert II has the elevation adjustment; whereas, the Expert I does not. You loosen the set screw shown here and then on top there is a allen head screw that micro-adjusts the up/down of this rest.
    In this photo you can also see another ideal thing and that is there are 2 locations for the drop-away cord...upper one for attaching it to a cable slide and a lower one for attaching it to the down cable. The drop-away cord is very easy to change and install with just an allen head screw

Last edited by Doc; June 14th, 2008 at 11:09 PM.

Quiet

Part of the noise-free operation of this rests comes from the fact that the rest falls against some sound dampening material so you don't get a clank, clack, bang or thud...it just falls.

Included in the pack are 2 drop-away cords (the infamous G5 blue or camo). You also get an allen for adjusting and your choice of 2 different types of arrow holders. I like the one that clamps the arrow

This is the arrow holder I prefer. The bow can be flipped upside down and the arrow stays put. The arrow is lifted out on the draw from sliding back and up.

Down position

The rest at full draw. Keep in mind this isn't at full draw...it's just me pulling down on the cord. I had to put out this disclaimer, because I didn't want to get yelled out for drawing a bow without an arrow In this photo you can also see the 4 different holes around the allen screw (screw to far left) that allows you to adjust spring tension

Overall, it's very quiet and extremely user friendly. If you need to change the drop away cable it's a matter of removing an allen head screw...no springs or hidden casings. The launcher is silent and I like the fact the rest falls away from the shelf, so you don't have to back your launcher well off the shelf to prevent it from striking and making noise.
    This is just my thoughts on the rest and I figured I would share with the bowhunters

Thanks for the review Doc!!!

Thanks for all the pictures I have been looking at this rest but no pictures did it justice in the past. Now I think I will order one.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter2 View Post
    Thanks for all the pictures I have been looking at this rest but no pictures did it justice in the past. Now I think I will order one.
    No problem...I like doing pictures, because each picture saves me 1,000 words right?
    It is tough to get a real feel for something in a catalog or website, so hopefully those that still have dial-up won't be too upset with me

thanks doc

You working for G5 now Doc?

Quote Originally Posted by marforme View Post
    You working for G5 now Doc?
    Nope...just relaying my experiences I enjoy reading reviews from other folks and just call them like I see them. We get hit hard with talk about new products in January right after the ATA but I wish we'd see more AT'er exclusives

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Nope...just relaying my experiences I enjoy reading reviews from other folks and just call them like I see them. We get hit hard with talk about new products in January right after the ATA but I wish we'd see more AT'er exclusives
    I agree, only problem is a majority of reviews are done by staff shooter and just used as a means to push a product....I find that very annoying. I actually like the G5 rest a lot and would probably have one on my bow if I didn't like the Limbdriver so dang well.

Quote Originally Posted by marforme View Post
    I agree, only problem is a majority of reviews are done by staff shooter and just used as a means to push a product....I find that very annoying. I actually like the G5 rest a lot and would probably have one on my bow if I didn't like the Limbdriver so dang well.
    Anybody can review a product and say what they want...I prefer to take photos and describe how the product works and the things I like about it or dislike about it. I prefer to do a review as opposed to this product is cool and works good I think the pictures speak for themselves on how this rest is built, the innovations put into it and the descriptions highlight certain things and discuss functionality.
    It's up to the reader to decide if this product is for him/her. I do think this is a great product for bowhunters though It's quiet and the rest actually falls away from the shelf as opposed to towards it.

I was looking at those but opted for the rip cord.They looked like the arrow might easily fall off.

Nice presentation Doc
    Hey dumby....tired of your arrows falling out of your quiver? Save yourself 200 bucks.....turn it over!

Maybe I do spend too much time in the brush....looking out.It's time better spent then at the truck....looking out!

Quote Originally Posted by twisted1600 View Post
    I was looking at those but opted for the rip cord.They looked like the arrow might easily fall off.

Nice presentation Doc
    I had a RipCord...good rest and I used it for about a year...I didn't like the fact that the cord went into the housing, which could get "gunked" up and when I tried to change the cord on it...the springs and gears scared me away

The arrow holder is great, push the arrow down on it and it holds the arrow very snugly. Flip the bow upside down, shake it, spin it and the arrow will still be in the holder. When you draw the arrow moving backwards and up releases it from the holder.

Nice review Doc.

Hopefully.... in the next couple weeks, I'll get a Hostage Pro rest and give it a full review. I haven't seen one yet on AT.

Oh... and there will be an Eberlestock Blue Widow pack review in August, done "ZA style".

-ZA
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

Quote Originally Posted by ZA206 View Post
    Nice review Doc.

Hopefully.... in the next couple weeks, I'll get a Hostage Pro rest and give it a full review. I haven't seen one yet on AT.

Oh... and there will be an Eberlestock Blue Widow pack review in August, done "ZA style".

-ZA
    Excellent, I haven't used either of those things nor have I seen reviews or product tests on either..looking forward to hearing about them Be sure to give us some nice pictures
    I wish we had more product reviews/tests on here when we're all thinking about and gearing up for the season It's good to hear various opinions on different products/companies/etc....the good, the bad and the ugly

I installed one on an 07 Bowtech. Very nice fit and finish and super easy to to set up. Replaced a WB.
    Doc, what is the black cupped washer for? Any ideas?
    Thanks
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
    if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
    have that problem."
    -Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by simi06 View Post
    I installed one on an 07 Bowtech. Very nice fit and finish and super easy to to set up. Replaced a WB.
    Doc, what is the black cupped washer for? Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Sure that is for the rest mounting bolt. I noticed that I didn't include the mounting bolt in the picture...my apologies for this over-sight.
    Glad to hear you have some arrows through one...quiet isn't it?

Very quiet indeed. Solid as all get out too. I was amazed at the camo how well it mached the Bowtech.
    Never thought of that washer for the mounting bolt.
    I was skeptical about using the lock screw on his riser. I could not get the G5 to mount totally flush so instructions said to use lock screw. When flush the rubber for his rest hit his shelf.
    After using micro adjuster and laser alignment tool the Cobra sight needed one line of adjustment.
    If I wasn't happy with my Trophy Taker I would be installing one for myself.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
    if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
    have that problem."
    -Author Unknown

that's a nice looking rest. I am always glad to read the Doc's reviews because they are very realistic and you can believe them! Doc- if you have an extra lefty that needs further testing, send it down to Massillon! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast