Thread: Colorado GMU 36

Question Colorado GMU 36

Tell me what your Elk hunting experiences have been in that area.

Charter member of the Missouri Bragging Rights Shoot

Who is "THE HOOD ? "
    Many are the plans of a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21.......PBPGINFWMY

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Joe View Post
    Tell me what your Elk hunting experiences have been in that area.
    It's no good Joe............nothing but a bunch of 380" lazy bulls standing next to the camp site. No adventure in that!
    ArcheryTalk is a Gun Free Zone. Check out www.GunTalkWorld.com for gun related items.
    Sending payment via PayPal Gift option? Bad idea

Gmu 36

This is an extremely rugged area, comprised mostly of BLM lands and White River National Forest. Access is pretty limited - unless you have horses. Lots of elk if you can get to them and get them out.

Gnu 36

Lots of elk. Lots of high country (10k + Feet) hiking. Most people that hunt back there use horses or a guide. A great place for a true "Back Country Elk Hunt".
    "YOU CAN"T GRILL IT, TILL YOU KILL IT", UNCLE TED
    Martin Savannah 55#, OPM Adirondack Htr Dlx 55#, 615gr. Purple Heart Taper footed wood arrows

Quote Originally Posted by RxBowhunter View Post
    It's no good Joe............nothing but a bunch of 380" lazy bulls standing next to the camp site. No adventure in that!
    John, ....yeah, you're right. If'n they're not 400+" I don't want them

Who is "THE HOOD ? "
    Many are the plans of a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21.......PBPGINFWMY

Quote Originally Posted by Roskoe View Post
    This is an extremely rugged area, comprised mostly of BLM lands and White River National Forest. Access is pretty limited - unless you have horses. Lots of elk if you can get to them and get them out.
    Uhhhh What's BLM ?

Who is "THE HOOD ? "

Bureau of Land Management. They have millions of acres out west. Generally, a little rougher terrain than what the USFS manages.

that's where my elk camp is. So i've hunted it 5 or 6 times since '01. It's fair to good, however, the elk in that area are not known for being large. Most of it is wilderness (NO ATVS, bikes, etc) or private (no access). Some National Forest, as well. Most of the hunters i've seen (if not all of them) will shoot anything with antlers, so a 'rag' bull can be a herd bull in this area.

Of course, some big bulls do exist, but it's definitely not a trophy area (relative to some other areas). Maybe if you were to climb way back into the Gore Range and hunt above treeline... you could find a TOTALLY different experience.

IF you don't get WAY back from the roads you will see a LOT of hunters. It is very heavily hunted area. However, getting back might help with that (we hunt 2 - 4 miles from the road and i think you'd need to get further back). please caveat all of my thoughts based on us being 1/2 way between back-country hunters and car-campers. We camp from our car ... WAY back on an unmarked road. we're 'tweeners.

It's hard to find a good meat locker in 'town', as town is Vail and the surrounding communities. Not exactly rural mountain communities that depend on hunting to spur the economy. Their economy is just fine without hunting. So you'll need to plan accordingly for that. I could probably say the same thing for finding someone willing to pack for you. I'm not aware of any pack teams that farm themselves out. They may be there, i'm just not aware of them. Have a pack and a buddy and you will earn your steaks.

with a LOT of hunters, i've found the bulls somewhat call shy. Certainly to bugles. Cow calling and spot/stalk seem to be our best techniques.

We hunt at 9800' give or take. first week of season. Expect 30/40s in the morning and 60/70 by 3 pm with a quick rain cloud most days at 2. I'll be there again this year. P.M. if you have more questions that i didn't answer. Good luck.
    Last edited by Duke_II; June 21st, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

Co-Creator of my two Children. My family Pro-Staff.

Thanks Roscoe and Big Bull Joe,

....and thanks Duke2 for the detailed account of the region.

Any others with information please spill the beans.

Who is "THE HOOD ? "

No problem. If you commit to going, send me a PM. I lived in that area for 5 years. Hunted A LOT of it and actually still maintain an office in the community. I can probably share more specific information about where and when we find the elk, or a good meal in Vail or surrounding communities before you head back into the hills.

Co-Creator of my two Children. My family Pro-Staff.