a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: New female archer BOW

New female archer BOW

Hi ladies. my 22 year old sister is looking to get into archery. No competition or anything. Just enjoys shooting and wants to try deer hunting. i was wondering what you ladies suggest for bows. She can only pull 45-50lbs. She about 5'6 130lbs-140lbs. She was looking at the renagade bows, but i told her not to be sold by every good reveiw you read. She can spend up too $500, but would like to see her spend a little less just in case she doesnt stick with it but its her money.
    Thanks for you input.

Check out Team NB on Youtube or huntvids.com. Public Land DIY hunts in Mass

Either the Martin Firecat or Bowtech Equalizer. Both are wonderful bows. Just my opinion here........I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions.
    Good luck in the search!!

Dee

There are many choices. if she wants to save on the $$$ side of things the diamond edge is a great womens bow. if she wants a more serious and expensive bow then i would suggest a bowtech equalizer, elite ice, or just about anybow that she can get her hands on and shoot. the best thing she can do is shoot as many bows from as many different manufacturers as she can and then decide what feels the best for her.
    For Sale: DNA with full throttle cams, 27.75" amo draw 59 lbs 408 gn arrow at 293 fps
    For Sale: Supra(50, 60, or 70#) with short now madness limbs, 27.75" 73 lbs 408 gn arrow at 308 fps

ill make sure she shoots plenty of bows. I didnt know if there were things that a women needs to take into consideration when buying a bow that might not affect a man as much. Like brace height, ata and such. i would figure there the same but i dont know . never had to set up a bow for a women before. I want to make sure i dont miss anything.

I have bought three bows in the last year for my wife and daugthers, they are shooting Hoyt Trykon sports and Hoyt Kobalt. The most important thing to remember is start with a low draw weight that will grow with your skill, and a short draw length, most people including men are shooting to long of a DL. Find a good pro shop that you are comfortable with ! Good Luck and welcome to Archery !

For me for 300 dollars for a package deal you can not beat the Diamond Edge my Wife and Daughter both shoot them

I would suggest getting her a bow in the 25-40# range. Better to get a bow that is light than a bow that she cannot pull back correctly. Shoulder injuries stink.
    I would also forgo some speed and find a more forgiving brace hieght. somewhere between 7-8" should be plenty. I imagine she is a short draw (like 25" or so) so this brace height would be like 9-10" on a 30" draw bow. Very forgiving. Have her shoot every thing she can and figure out what she likes.

i think the choice depends on her draw length.. The first bow i bought, they measured me at 25" draw.. well, i could never "get it" together. No wonder,a year later and another bow later, my actual draw length is 27"... big difference and alot more choices in bows if she is over 26". Be sure and have her measure at a pro shop, or at least by a couple different people.
    There are alot of good choices for that price range.

You have got the right Idea !

Quote Originally Posted by passthru11 View Post
    Hi ladies. my 22 year old sister is looking to get into archery. No competition or anything. Just enjoys shooting and wants to try deer hunting. i was wondering what you ladies suggest for bows. She can only pull 45-50lbs. She about 5'6 130lbs-140lbs. She was looking at the renagade bows, but i told her not to be sold by every good reveiw you read. She can spend up too $500, but would like to see her spend a little less just in case she doesnt stick with it but its her money.
    Thanks for you input.
    So far you are thinking ! Its good to ask what the ladies feel about thier bows, Now take her to a Pro shop , A real one , have her draw measured with the Intended release , trust me , makes a difference .

Now once you know her " EXACT " measurements you can open the doors to whats available , as was stated before , over 26-26.5 the bows available really open up .

Keep in mind though , alot of folks draw too far , the first knuckle of the index finger should seat pretty nicely in the corner of the mouth .
    By making sure you do not go further and develop bad form , you also open up the ability to use back tension releases, by being able to still have rotation of the shoulder . If you go past his point ( Regardless of what some say! ) you cannot properly use these types of releases . Also allowing the shoulder room to rotate means less stress on the connective tissue .

Regardless of the Bow you have her try , Keep in mind that Proper fit allows proper form, Proper form ensures Proper Function, Keep them in the X !

I got a Martin Lepoard to start. It has been a great bow! It draws very smooth and I am hoping to get my first archery deer with it. It also had a nice price tag as well. My husband figured for the price it was a good bow for me to start out on and grow with.

thanks all. Im taking her to the pro shop some time this week and well get her all set up. Thanks for your input. ill keep you posted with what she gets.

I just got my gf a hoyt kobalt and she loves it. If she is hunting I think the kobalt if she is comfortable with it. the reason I liked it was because of the speed factor. As far as I know(dont hold me to it) the kobalt is fastet lightest short draw bow on the market now.