Thread: Hanging a deer feeder

Hanging a deer feeder

Dont know if this the right place to post this but how do you hang the 30 gal feeder barrels any suggestions and pictures will help out alot

???

just a question...curious that is all...

do you guys actuallly hunt these feeders?

just got one to try out havent hunted over one yet but I might if it works good

sounds like cheating to me......

baiting is illegal here in canada...

anyway sorry to hijack just wasnt sure what was up with a feeder...

Here is a pic of mine hanging last season .I hang mine with a boat winch as the crank ,have an L bracket to hang it on with a pully .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HOYT HAVOC-TEC,EXTREME RT900,DROP ZONE ,MUZZY 3 BLADE,ACC 3-49
    HOYT AM32,VIPER H1000,DROP ZONE ,MUZZY MX3 ,TROPHY RIDGE CRUSH 400

US Army 1981 - 1989

We've hung them. Toss a rope over a branch and hoist up the feeder and tie off the end of the rope to the trunk. To refill, untie, lower the feeder, fill, then hoist back up.

You can also use a pulley if you so desire by tying it to the stout branch. Sorry I don't have any picutres, but both ways work ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwaco View Post
    We've hung them. Toss a rope over a branch and hoist up the feeder and tie off the end of the rope to the trunk. To refill, untie, lower the feeder, fill, then hoist back up.

You can also use a pulley if you so desire by tying it to the stout branch. Sorry I don't have any picutres, but both ways work ok.
    Yup.

If you've got a large/deep feeder....the more feed you put in the more dudes you'll need to hoist it unless you've got a pulley or block & tackle type rig.

This will be moved to The Bowhunters Section but I have to secure mine in some means otherwise someone will steal it. I started off with a 5 gallon and it had the solar charger on the top screwd down and they yanked out the wires that went to the battery but they could not get it down. I have ir on one of those chain links that has threads on it and they could not get two hands on it to loosen it it was at about 8 ft off the ground so I extended it even higher it is now at about 10 feet and I have a 2 inch piece of galvinized pipe sunk in the ground with 6 bags of 60lbs concrete at its base to handle the weight though not I have a 30 gallon I use but only for rifle but nothing much comes into it. Though it is legal in some places to use a spin cast feeder like Texas and Michigan it is not a sure thing a deer will come in to it. At least these days, it is the same for baiting though you can only have 2.5 gallons spread out in a 10 x10 ft area not piled up here in Michigan. I use it once baiting is allowed for firearms but more for trail camera pictures to see what is coming in to it after dark.

Anyway mine is off the ground with a 10 ft pipe that has a 90 degree that hangs out about 3 ft and has a eye bolt drilled through a small pipe that supports and then again the chain link with thread nut so that they have to work to get it down it also requires a 10 ft ladder and standing on the 3 step down to get it up there as well as to fill it one time for a 3 week period it last and again can only let out the max per day of 2.5 gallon amount. It just spins and seems the fawns hear the spinner plate and come in at dark.

Good Luck,
    LFM
    Loyal Oneida AF/ LFM Shooter since 1995, Easton XX75 2514, Magnus Stinger 125 two blades, Pollington Pro Grip Release,

I use to be against feeders. I am not to sure that I am still not. But my opinion is what is the difference if you set a stand on the corner of a cornfield in a funnel or if you put your stand on an acorn ridge, or the only watering hole around for 2 miles? There realy isnt much difference in my opinion. I do not use feeders but I can reason with someone who does.

We hung one on a farm we use to hunt in KY...Here's what we did....
    We hung a pulley about 15' up on a big limb, ran a steel cable from the feeder through the pulley then back down to the ground. We took a clamp and made a loop on the free end of the cable then used the winch on my buddy's Polaris ATV to pull it up in the tree, once the feeder was up we took another short piece of cable and tied it around a smaller tree then hooked the feeder cable to that one to hold it. When it needed refilling we just drove the ATV up there and hooked onto the cable with the winch then unhooked it from the small tree then lowered it down. It was a 35gallon drum type feeder and using the ATV winch we didnt have to break our backs pulling it up in the tree.
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    sounds like cheating to me......

baiting is illegal here in canada...

anyway sorry to hijack just wasnt sure what was up with a feeder...
    Might be illegal in AB and MB but it is legal in SK and ONT
    2008 Ross Cardiac 70Lbs, QAD pro HD, Sims modular stab, Copper john dead nutz 2 sight, Scott Sabertooth release, G5 Meta peep, beman arrows with ONESTRINGER arrow wraps topped with Slick Tricks or GT2's and RIDGERUNNER sling

Quote Originally Posted by thr2tom View Post
    I use to be against feeders. I am not to sure that I am still not. But my opinion is what is the difference if you set a stand on the corner of a cornfield in a funnel or if you put your stand on an acorn ridge, or the only watering hole around for 2 miles? There realy isnt much difference in my opinion. I do not use feeders but I can reason with someone who does.
    An open mind is a wonderful thing, I appreciate your comment.
    >>>>>>>-------Team 15----------------->
    1911 is faster than 911,....
    There are no real rules about posting.
    There are no real rules about moderation either — enjoy your ban.
    MOLON LABE!!!