a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Changing draw length...Will it change point of impact?

Changing draw length...Will it change point of impact?

I tried a shorter DL today (see my earlier post)..Mostly was forced to....but I think I like the feel.

Anyway....1 inch shorter...but when I chronographed it I had only lost 4 or 5 fps...not much to worry about.

But before I had chronied it, but after the DL change...I found that the bow was shooting low...Basically my 30 yard pin had become a 20, my 40 became a 30 and my 50 became a 40. My 20 yd pin now was dead on at 15.

I had assumed this would have been the result of loss of fps...but I don't think 4 fps will make that much difference.

So I now think that by shortening my DL I must have changed where I place my head and hold my eye (I use an Anchor Sight..not a peep)...I was now holding it a little lower than I had been I think...

I think that resulted in my line of sight down my pins changing....resulting in the low shots...

Does all that make sense...and sound correct?

Thanks for the help...

Keith
    Last edited by moethedog; July 19th, 2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: typo

yep....you lose or gain speed with the adjustment...so you do have to make a small adjustment on the sight.

hook
    2010 PSE Vendetta XL, Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2012 PSE Dominator 3D Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2014 PSE Supra Max, Doinker,CBE,Goldtip Arrows.

Hook...4 fps isn't going to make that much difference, is it.

I've dialed poundage up and down before...at 4 fps I never saw much change in POI.

Thanks...

Keith

some cams as you change DL you change the nock travel therefor changing your POI...

it doesn't take much to change POI

it would really depend on the speed of the bow i guess,im always messing with m kids bow on dl and it does but on a faster bow probably not much...i wouldnt thing your anchor or peep should change because of dl adjustment,how much did the arrows p.o.i change with the adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by LHpuncher View Post
    some cams as you change DL you change the nock travel therefor changing your POI...

it doesn't take much to change POI
    there ya have it...learn something new here everyday...thanks

hook

Normally, changing the DL to SHORTER....will have an effect on the peep height above the arrow at full draw by a tad...and make you shoot HIGH, not low!

In addition, the shorter DL also stops you from raising the wrist on the bow hand...and another reason to shoot HIGH and not low with the SHORTER DL.

You never said which cam system, but with today's cams, while speed is affected SOME...the POUNDAGE of the bow normally isn't.

One other thing....with many of the hybrid cam systems and even those with double modules....CHECK YOUR CAM SYNC when changing modules...the cam synch has probably changed too!

As far as "losing" or "gaining" 10 yards....NOT LIKELY!

field14
    Just let it float and SHOOT THE SHOT! Author of: "ProActive Archery", "The Puzzled Archer", "The Puzzled Cyclist".
    -field14 (Tom D.)

'O7 Cheetah...with the M-Pro cam...

Keith

you normally lose around 10 fps for every 1" decrease in dl. (changing poi)
    also your nock height will change (effecting arrow flight ,and changing poi)
    your peepheight will change (changing poi)
    your anchor will change (changing poi)
    the power stroke will change (shorten by 1" poi will change )
    the spine of the arrow will stiffen (changing poi and arrow flight )
    and the bow will need to be retuned (changing the poi)

so as you can see you have done more than simply decrease you draw length by 1"

Dont know about duel cams but every time I change my dl on my single have to move the nock point then readjust the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anynamewilldo View Post
    Dont know about duel cams but every time I change my dl on my single have to move the nock point then readjust the other stuff.

Same with hybrid cams....change DL, and the nock travel, cam synch, peep height at full draw, etc changes.

That is exactly WHY it pays to get the CORRECT DRAWLENGTH...set it, then be PROACTIVE and mark everything down, both on the bow itself AND in writing...so that the 'settings' can be easily duplicated WHEN the time comes whereby something has changed.

Pretty tough to duplicate something if you don't have it measured and marked to begin with!

MOST shooters, and I must admit, a LOT of even top echelon shooters haven't a clue as to where their current or 'best shooting' setup is at or was at when things were working properly! MOST shooters are constantly tinkering and moving stuff...but they fail to keep track of what they have done, and don't have a clue as to where things were when they started piddling around!

The Drawlength is the most critical aspect of a bow/shooter combination setup...and yet, so FEW shooters have a clue where this "setting" really is, or how to find out what THEIR best setting for DL actually is...let alone how to mark it and then duplicate it!

Then there is the issue of the rubber tubing type peep site.....LOTS of bowhunters use these things...and WHEN the tubing breaks, they simply just reattach the tubing to the peep and continue on...never realizing that they have just changed the tune of the bow and their nock travel, and thus their impact point!

NOTHING in this sport is a "gimmee"....you must be proactive and pay attention!

field14
    Just let it float and SHOOT THE SHOT! Author of: "ProActive Archery", "The Puzzled Archer", "The Puzzled Cyclist".
    -field14 (Tom D.)

One of my buddies went to a shorter DL and his point of impact went up and a little right. It is what it is . . . . just move the sights.