a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Mow weeds before Roundup?

Mow weeds before Roundup?

I'm getting ready for my fall plots and after one season with the plots the weeds are quit heavy. Should I mow them down then apply Roundup or leave them tall? They are about 12"-14" high right now.

Good Shooting, Bill
    The difference between an Old Archer and the Young Archer is that we old ones are a little slower getting the arrow to the "X".
    Bowtech Tribute
    & 07 Hoyt Pro Elite

Years of enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by BIG ARCHERY NUT View Post
    I'm getting ready for my fall plots and after one season with the plots the weeds are quit heavy. Should I mow them down then apply Roundup or leave them tall? They are about 12"-14" high right now.
    Leave 'em tall. You'll need some leaf area to soak up the chemical.

Im using it now. if you let the weeds burn then try mowing them it may be had to mow and will turn to a rope like weed. Id mow wet or alive then. roundup.
    Do you plan to till up the lot? If so dont use roundup just till up the plot with all the weeds in it.

In a perfect world, I'd spray, till, spray, till, plant. But in most cases, due to lack of time or equipment thats not possible. If I were you I would spray now, then in another month till and plant. Try to plant just before a rain. That way, whatever you plant should germinate quickly and hopefully out compete the weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter_21_03 View Post
    In a perfect world, I'd spray, till, spray, till, plant. But in most cases, due to lack of time or equipment thats not possible. If I were you I would spray now, then in another month till and plant. Try to plant just before a rain. That way, whatever you plant should germinate quickly and hopefully out compete the weeds.
    Do you mow before you spray? I know with my home garden after the second tilling you have gotten most of the weeds so I understand what you say about the repeat tilling.
    Good Shooting, Bill
    The difference between an Old Archer and the Young Archer is that we old ones are a little slower getting the arrow to the "X".
    Bowtech Tribute
    & 07 Hoyt Pro Elite

Years of enjoyment

if you mow you will need to wait about 5 days to spray for best results. i would do this only because it will get the new growth under th tall stuff
    2010 G5 Primal, 72lbs, 28in draw, Trophy Taker Smack Down, G5 Optix XR, 5575 GT XT Hunters, Magnus Stingers 100gr,

FL hit it right on the head. If you mow, you need to wait a few days in order for the weeds to begin growing again. As long as they are actively growing they will absorb the herbicide and you'll get a good kill. If the weeds around only a foot tall, you should be able to get a good kill of everything just by spraying without mowing.

DO NOT mow before you spray.

Roundup works by contact with the leaves on the plant. You'd get a kill if you mow but it would work better if you spray on the weeds before you mow.

You actually probably waited a little long to spray. As plants get bigger they also get harder to kill. Roundup works best when the plants are fairly young.

When you spray try not to do it right in the heat of the day. A misconception with Roundup is that it works great in the heat because it burns the plant. However I was at a chemical seminar awhile back and they told us to spray in the cooler part of the day. The plant tends to soak up more when its not really hot.
    "Amateurs practice until they get it right.....Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by xswanted View Post
    DO NOT mow before you spray.

Roundup works by contact with the leaves on the plant. You'd get a kill if you mow but it would work better if you spray on the weeds before you mow.

You actually probably waited a little long to spray. As plants get bigger they also get harder to kill. Roundup works best when the plants are fairly young.

When you spray try not to do it right in the heat of the day. A misconception with Roundup is that it works great in the heat because it burns the plant. However I was at a chemical seminar awhile back and they told us to spray in the cooler part of the day. The plant tends to soak up more when its not really hot.
    Thanks everyone for the input. I would think late afternoon would be best then so it stays moist all night. My weeds are not too thick and I think I should be able to get contact on everything big and small.
    Good Shooting, Bill
    Bowtech Tribute
    & 07 Hoyt Pro Elite

Years of enjoyment

No mowing!

Do not mow the weeds before you spray at all. Use a good surfactant with the round-up and spray in the morning or evening to prevent drifting. The main thing is to know what kind of weeds you are dealing with. The younger the weeds the better. If you can find someone to spray it with a restricted use licensce (sp) then they can purchase a stronger version of the chemical than you can. If weeds are too tall then I recommend discing the ground first then wait for the weed to germinate and get about knee high and then spray. Any weed that is over knee high is going to be hard to kill this time of year. Drought stress makes it tougher. Just a few thoughts from an old soybean and cotton farmer from the delta of Arkansas.

Also if you spray and get a good kill then I recommend no till planting. I you have to work the ground to plant it then another generation of weeds will sprout along with your seeds. Just be ready to spray as soon as the plants are big enough to withstand the chemical. Always follow the label!!!!!!
    Last edited by BeeCee; July 21st, 2008 at 04:56 PM.

You mow it to 6" in height..think of it as dosage (like medicine) 600mg does not do the same thing for a 90lb wman as it does for a 350 linebacker, right? It also fores the plant to take in more nutrients (or roundup) due to the stress of being cut.
    Green and growing or ripe and rotting?
    Obsession Evolution 60#
    Lone Wolf & Millenium stands, Gray Wolf Woolens- Predator Camo, Zen Ray & Vortex Optics, MBG Rush, ProV, Easton DOA, Grim Reaper 1 3/8" heads

we always mow before we spray. we tried it with out mowing 1 time and it just didn't kill everything. So we brushhog, spray, let sit for 2 weeks, till & plant. Works great for us.
    Mathews Switchback, puttin' the smack down!

definitely mow now then wait 1-2 weeks and nuke the area the round-up will work on all the new growth encourage by the mowing. It will be hard to kill the weeds at the height they are now. MOW, WAIT, SPRAY.
    "The Yankee Bowman"
    '15 LH Hoyt Pro Edge Elite-65lb- Max 1
    '14 LH Hoyt Faktor 34-70lb- Realtree Xtra
    '14 LH Hoyt Faktor 34-65lb- Realtree Xtra

Spray it before you mow. Depending on the weed you may or may not be off label. At any rate, if you're worried about not getting a good kill, just up the chemical rate a few ounces and use a surfactant.
    Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL
    Hoyt Contender Elite
    Bowtech Invasion

Sounds if the majority are saying Mow, Wait & then Spray.

Cannot locate any info from the Monsanto web site so that is why I'm trying here.

Thanks and it looks as if i will follow the majority.
    Good Shooting, Bill
    Bowtech Tribute
    & 07 Hoyt Pro Elite

Years of enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by BIG ARCHERY NUT View Post
    Sounds if the majority are saying Mow, Wait & then Spray.

Cannot locate any info from the Monsanto web site so that is why I'm trying here.

Thanks and it looks as if i will follow the majority.
    It really depends on how much time you have to wait before you plant. If you spray now, you wait 2 weeks for chem to work, then you can mow/plow. Depending on the type of weed, you may not even have to mow after spraying---the weeds may lay completely down (that's my experience with grasses and non-woody type weeds). On the other side, if you mow, wait 2 weeks, spray, wait another 2 weeks for chem kill---well, you're a month in before you can even touch the ground which puts you near the end of August. That's cutting it close in some places.

12-14" isn't a very tall weed. I've sprayed stuff up to shoulder high and had good kill with less material to mow. Less mow chaff is preferable for subsequent plowing/tilling for a better seedbed.