Archery Talk Forum banner

How I'm using my UCR's with climbing sticks...

Tags
ucr
20K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  boonerbrad 
#1 ·
I thought I'd post up some pictures here in the bowhunting forum to show some of you guys who have purchased UCR's how I'm using them with my Lone Wolf climbing sticks. I think it's a good thing to have some pictures up with explanations on what is what if any of you guys are thinking about doing this yourself.:nod:

Please be careful, always wear a lineman's belt and a safety harness and remember...

WARNING:
I am not, and will not be held responsible for the usage, performance, or liability associated with using the UCR's. It is up to you, the purchaser/user, to determine the UCR's suitabilty and capabilities for the manner or use in which you are going to use it. I make no stated or implied capabilities, ratings, or uses for the UCR's. Use at your own risk!

Here is one of my Lone Wolf sticks attached to a small pine using one of my UCR's. Some guys have asked about the color (different batches of the rope have color variances... some of it is jet black, some is a charcoal grey). With use, all of the UCR's will lighten up in color to a neutral grey color that blends in well with tree bark.

Please read the captions with the pictures, as they go into some details about how I'm setting up my UCR's.

The next series of photos show the different parts of the UCR's and my nomenclature for naming them.

This is the "constrictor" section of the UCR.

This is the "tag end" of the constrictor section.

This is the "static line" section of the UCR. Note the "tag" end of it in my hand between my thumb and index finger. The "static line" and the "constrictor" sections each have a 2" eye loop on their other, respective ends that can be seen looped around the Lone Wolf stick's Versa Button.

The next series of pictures will show some important setup information.

The main "jist" of using them with my climbing sticks is to pull the tag end of the static line tight while sliding the constrictor around the tree as far as it will go. This is a two handed operation and REQUIRES that I use a climbing belt/lineman's belt AT ALL TIMES!!!!!! The UCR will not be secure at this point, so I have to slide/work the body of the constrictor (stretching it out) so that it will constrict around the static line, all while being compressed against the backside of the tree. This is called "milking" the constrictor. If you have purchased a set of UCR's and played with them, you'll know what I'm reffering to.

You can see here that the constrictor is not very tight against the static line.

Here I am "milking" the constrictor section around the backside of the tree.

Here you can see that the constrictor section is fully "milked" and is tightly constricted against the static line and is compressed against the backside of the tree.

Below are a few pictures of me standing on the LW sticks. In my opinion, the UCR's, if properly attached, and set, are every bit as secure as the original Lone Wolf cam-buckle straps. I had jumped up and down on the LW stick prior to taking these pictures.... it's locked on tighter than a pitbull on a porkchop.:cocktail:

I hope that this pictorial has answered any questions some of you guys that have UCR's have asked me about. :thumb:

Please remember to ALWAYS wear a safety harness and a lineman's belt when climbing ANY tree, with any tree climbing steps, sticks, ladder or climbing stand. Sustaining injuries from falling from a treestand or off of a climbing device is easily avoided by simply "HOOKING UP" and staying "HOOKED UP".

Please post up if you have any questions, and you guys stay SAFE this coming hunting season.:nod:

Thanks.

-ZA

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a set of these. And they are much easier to use then he shows:wink:

I can't wait to use mine when it counts. Less then 2 months.

You will defiantly love these things. Light, easy to use, no clanging.

Wish there was more to add but these things are just to simple. I cannot believe there not standard equipment.

#4 ·
I tried out my new UCRs yesterday while trimming shooting lanes. I liked them a lot. As mentioned in ZA's post, it's a two hand job, but it's worth it not to have to keep track of the metal buckles. After practicing with them a few times, I found them simple to use. The steps felt good and secure.

#5 ·
I haven't used them "in the wild" yet, but from what little I have used them around the house, they work very well. Yes, you have to use two hands, but that isn't that big of deal if you have a good lineman's belt.

#6 ·
I really like the way they are made but I don't know if I can "milk" them tite enough to hold my ladder against a tree. I use API quik stiks and they really need to be tite to the tree. I still need to play with them more in the "field" before saying they won't do what I need.

#12 ·
Went from 10 lbs 15 oz to 10 lbs flat by switching from 4 cam buckles to 4 UCR's. They're easy to use with a little practice, and much quieter. The only advantage that the buckles have is in tightening down onto a tree. The UCR's tighten by being pulled downward, the buckle can be tightened into the tree. This only made a difference on one tree I've had them in, a slick and crooked beech that the UCR's didn't like very much.

#14 ·
I have used them on my LW. I use the top hook. So I just hang as I do the steps. Hang stand etc. the only trick is the bottom. You need to milk the ucr pretty tight with the platform raised. Then lower the platform to really tighten. I have found I need to repeat this a couple times to really get it solid. Takes practice but I think it is the way to go to really make the setup super silent.

Not sure it would do well with the offset bracket.

Next project is to remove the top plug in the sticks and make some plastic bushings to stack the steps. That way I can set the whole setup against the tree and pull apart and position as I go up to really speed the process. Slinging and pulling the steps up are just another clang waiting to happen.

I want 110% no noise on my way in and up.

#16 · (Edited)
Is there a previous thread showing how you loosen the UCR's? If not could someone explain it? Thanks
You grab the constrictor section at the point where the static line comes out of it and pull it back along the static line. This will relax the constrictor and allow the it to slide easily over the static line, thus loosening the UCR.

Grab it where my fingers are here and shove it to the RIGHT to loosen the UCR.

-ZA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.