Thread: Legalities: where can you shoot?

Legalities: where can you shoot?

Coming back to the sport from over a decade off..

back in the day, I could put a target next to my fence at my apartment and shoot away no problems.

but Im wondering if that (like so many other things) has changed..

I live in an apartment, I would love to be able to just put the target in my garage and shoot at it from outside.. I know it would be safe etc etc.. but would I get in trouble for it?

what about shooting at a public park? (again with reasonable care taken to be safe about target placement)

Im just curious where the law stands on bows and shooting them.

i was told by a DNR officer that it is perfectly legal to shoot targets with a bow and arrow in my backyard, just nothing alive. i dont think you can shoot at public parks, but it all depends on the state you live in.A sherriff or DNR officer can usually tell you
    2007 PSE X-Force 6
    Radial XWeave 300 Grain STL Hunters-Smoke Ramcat
    Vapor Trail Limbdriver
    Trophy Ridge React 5 pin

Many parks here in AZ have it posted that you cannot shoot archery or hit golf balls in the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Jensen View Post
    Many parks here in AZ have it posted that you cannot shoot archery or hit golf balls in the parks.
    Well my local park stats "no fireworks or firearms" but thats it.

the park is rather large and even at peak times VERY sparsely populated. I cant see any issue with shooting there myself, but my judgment is not what counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnutt View Post
    Well my local park stats "no fireworks or firearms" but thats it.

the park is rather large and even at peak times VERY sparsely populated. I cant see any issue with shooting there myself, but my judgment is not what counts.
    Check with your local law, and be sure the person you are talking to understands a bow IS NOT a firearm. In my town, we can't shoot firearms, but archery is perfectly legal. Also, if you shoot at your home, be sure you have a suitable backstop for that occasional flyer.
    Proud to be a Bowhunter.

DO NOT SHOOT anywhere where there is the remotest possibility of a stray arrow hitting someone.

There have been lots of threads about this - people shooting in their backyards for years with no problems, and the cops/neighbors approval and so on.

But there have also been threads here of accidents - nocks breaking, strings and d-loops letting go, and the arrows going through fences and hitting cars and things by accident.

Check your local by-laws regarding discharge of projectiles within residential areas. And even if it's legal, don't take any risks. Not only could you hurt someone and get yourself in a heap of trouble, you'll hurt archery in general.

It's just not worth the risk. Again - DO NOT SHOOT anywhere where there is the remotest possibility of a stray arrow hitting someone.

Ny is 500 feet from any dwelling unless you have written permision from the owner.

If you live in an apartment, then aside from the law, it is up to the owner of the apartment complex. It is their property.

First you are going to have to check with local zoning and laws, county ordinances and city ordinances as well to determine the legality of shooting a bow within city limits, proximity to dwellings, etc. Some towns classify archery as firearms, so shooting them in city limits is a no go.

Second you do not own the land, so even if legal you will have to get permission from the landowner. Most are too worried about liability issues to allow such things, especially at an apartment comples.

I doubt very seriously that any state park or city park will allow shooting bows within the parks. Possible, but very doubtful.......

You really need to check your local ordinances as it will vary from city to city. If you live in a rural area, it is more likely they will allow you to shoot your bow.

Where I live in CA (where almost everything fun is illegal), it is illegal to shoot a bow in the city limits unless it is at an archery range. There are free public archery ranges in several public parks. Archery shops can have indoor archery ranges. We also see signs posted at parks saying archery and golf are prohibited.

If you shot inside your apartment or garage, as long as no one could see you, I don't see how you could get a citation. If you are visible to others, then it may become an issue.

Just remember, an arrow from a compound bow will blow right through drywall and into the next apartment. You can bet someone will call the police if any projectile comes into their apartment or house.

Ray
    Last edited by Ray.Klefstad; July 22nd, 2008 at 11:56 AM.

I checked with a local police officer and he told me that in the county where I live, shooting a bow in a residential area is considered discharging a deadly weapon! He told me that firing a gun or bow would carry the same penalty. After seeing a few guys shooting their bows in their back yards with no regards to safety, I fully understand why the law exists!

Perfectly legal here in Illinois. I spoke with the authorities about this and they told that is nothing prohibiting the use of a bow on your property. Heck I have had a police officer watch me shoot one day and he sat in amazement because he did not think that bows were that accurate.

If you do decide to shoot in your backyard or something make sure that you take the extra precautions, so that you limit any chance of a possible injury to someone else.
    Athens Factory Staff
    Dead Center Archery Factory Staff
    If it is brown it's down. I love animals they're delicious- Ted Nugent