Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Butchering a deer

First let me say great thread. Have a question. Ive never seen the parts so clearly labled so Ive always winged it not knowing how the hind legs are supposed to be seperated. Ive never payed attention to how many pecies I end up with I just always take off every sliver of silver on something thats going to be steaks or roast. In the last pic before wraping for freezer the Sirloin or front of round has a white vein on the right side. Isnt that more silver? I believe Ive seperated that and anything looking like that and removed. Am I being too picky? Is that a thin peice that doesnt matter or am I looking at that wrong and isnt what Im thinking?

Nothing is really to picky when butchering. I to separate the muscles and remove all silver. If I want to make a ham then I won't go so far. It's all about want amount of time you want to put in and the results you want.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Quote Originally Posted by Anynamewilldo View Post
    First let me say great thread. Have a question. Ive never seen the parts so clearly labled so Ive always winged it not knowing how the hind legs are supposed to be seperated. Ive never payed attention to how many pecies I end up with I just always take off every sliver of silver on something thats going to be steaks or roast. In the last pic before wraping for freezer the Sirloin or front of round has a white vein on the right side. Isnt that more silver? I believe Ive seperated that and anything looking like that and removed. Am I being too picky? Is that a thin peice that doesnt matter or am I looking at that wrong and isnt what Im thinking?
    When trimming out the sirloin, there is one group of three muscles that together are shaped kind a like a whole turkey breast, this group I leave together and cross cut it into steaks about 3/4" to 1" thick. Other than the tenderloin, this is the best cut of the deer. The thin membrane holding it all together isn't any problem. Usually when I grill, I do a package of 4 butterflied loin chops and package of two sirloin steaks and my wife and daughter would eat the chops and I would get the steaks, well a while back my daughter accidentally grab one of my steaks, now I have to fight her for them. I tried to keep the sirloins as my little secret, but no longer.
    Parker Inferno 65# @ 29-1/4 draw
    TruGlow 4 pin sight
    MPSI drop away rest
    PSE Xweave Bowmadness 300s @ 29-1/2" with 100 gr 3 blade Rages, total weight 404 gr.

ttt
    I'm not an inspiration; It's just the situation I'm in and I'm doing my best......

this is a good step by step process, I have only butchered one deer and this is the best described way to seperate the front and hind quarters

love this tutorial
    PSE Brute X

TEAM 6 --Buck Yeah--

so i came across this and wow it is great... the only time i take my deer to get cut up is during rut when i want to be in the woods killing... but other than that i cut em up... funny post though... thought it was great

Great thread! Having a young son myself I certainly found the way you wrote it hilarious!
    I wanted to post not only to mark it, but to thank you for a well wriiten and very informative thread.
    Best to you and yours!
    Cheers

Well it was a great thread...

Thank you for this great post. It removes the mystery of butchering a deer. I'm gonna try it. My son will love it. lol

Pics are gone Anyone put them on a blog or know another great processing pictorial or video?
    2012 Bowtech Assassin Black Ops 26.5" ~65#
    Trophy Ridge 3 pin - QAD Hunter

I do would like pictures.

I to

Tag
    Pse brute x, Webb custom string, gold tip arrows, trufire hardcore max release, RAGE broadheads

Got it laminated and ready to look at all winter to make my next butchering job easier. Thanks Rancid.

PDF of Directions

If you want a PDF of the directions, email me or pm me with your email.

This really is a useful article. I have processed my own deer for years. How much different would it be for other animals?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345