Thread: Old Bow Has Speed

Talking Old Bow Has Speed

My girlfriend recently purchase a used bow, from a co-worker, for me. I was always saying I wanted one but never pulled thru, with the purchase. Anyway, Its a Golden Eagle Formula 3D Dual Cam 57# with 28DL. I thought this bow being 7 plus years old was going to be a little slow and the archery shop did too. Today I went to the shop and asked him to congr. This bow is not maxed out I can actually crank it down further, if I wanted too. The be at 57# is at 265 on the congr. We were both suprised. The first thing he said was that Just Went Up on Ebay.

My first thought is his chrono is way off. I don't know anything about that bow, but 7 Years ago their wasn't much of anything that fast at 57 lbs and 28".
    Top Notch Taxidermy
    Preserving your memory one Mount at a time...!

'08 PSE X-Force 28" draw 60 lbs 370gr 298fps 73ft/lbs KE
    Trophy Ridge Drop Zone, Trophy Ridge Alpha 5 V-pin, Trophy Ridge ShockBlock stabilizer, Vibracheck string suppressor, Cabelas Elite Stalkers w/ Blazers, Muzzy 100gr 3-blade

A fellow here on the classifieds was selling an old Carbon Extreme (10 yr old)ready to hunt with the case for $150 TYD.

If memory serves me right that is a 280 FPS bow.

A new ready to hunt 280 FPS bow now days $750-1K

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Having shot Golden Eagle bows in the past they are great bows . My formula 3D was shooting 305 at 74 pounds with 31 inch draw . My old browning mirage in old Ibo trim with overdraw and 90 pounds and 25 inch beaman carbon was topping 320fps .
    Hoyt contender Gtx cam 56lb
    30.5 in draw
    348 grain gold tip
    284 fps

Thumbs up Lots of speed "back then."

Lots of bows could shoot well over 265 even 10 years ago. On average, most faster bows today are quieter, and have less recoil and vibration than the "oldies." My 29", 60# Bowtech Pro 38 Dual Cam (2001) will shoot 324 fps with an IBO weight arrow. It is not a noisy or unpleasant bow at all. Congrats on getting the GE.
    "It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

"Some feel that all should do as they do: this is questionable at best." sew

I was just suprised about this bow and yes the conograph is working correctly. This show is one of the best, in my area. These guys know what they are doing. I was not trying to brag at all. I can purchase a top notch bow, if I want too.

I have a golden eagle iron eagle that is over 10 years old. when I bought it Golden Eagle was claiming it was capable of 317 fps. I never had the thing chronied by it is no slow poke.
    I am OzArcher!!!
    Hunter of the Knock
    Emmissary of the Bandicoot

Quote Originally Posted by OzArcher1 View Post
    I have a golden eagle iron eagle that is over 10 years old. when I bought it Golden Eagle was claiming it was capable of 317 fps. I never had the thing chronied by it is no slow poke.
    Cool Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OzArcher1 View Post
    golden eagle made 2 iron eagle bows in 1996..the one you could only get in a 60# D/W and it had a IBO of 335and a AMO of 248.. it was only made for one year unlike the other iron eagle that had a 50-70# D/W that was made for several years.. both bows had the exact timeing cams..i still have my 60# iron eagle and everyonce in a while i will get it out and shoot it..it gives a new meaning to the word wrist slap if you dont hold it right...i stll have a few rasberrys on my left arm from 10 years ago lol...it was the first truly speed bow if i remember right and it sure could shoot gold tips great and thank god for steelheads because muzzy's wouldnt fly at all at that speed...the iron eagle wasnt produced after a few years because it was so hard for people to control it with speed...oh i may be wrong about the speed bow part.. if i remember right martin had the fury that was a speed bow too and i had one of them also but it didnt have the speed that the iron eagle did.. both were a 5 1/2 brace height.. thnak god for the new bows lol

Iron Eagle

I had 3 Iron Eagles between 96 and 98.

The Iron Eagle Pro was available with 45-60, 55-70, 65-80 lb limbs. Had a 6" brace height, Xact timing 317fps IBO. It was screamin in 96.

In 98 with the 65% K-Cams it was rated at 331 fps IBO It also had Xact timing and Xact Draw stop.

I wonder if anyone knows who designed the K-Cams

I also had a Golden Eagle Formula Pro....fast bow but Heavy!

I forgot to tell everyone but my Golden Eagle Formula 3D has new vapor trail string. I'm wondering if this helped the package out too. I agree with you about the gold tips. They fly well. I was trying out some Muzzy's MX 3, they fly well, but not grouping with my field tips. The are low and to the right. I might have to adjust by arrow rest, to correct the problem. I thinking about pulling the trigger and getting some Rage. I have to sneak the broadheads past the G-Friend.

savagebandit - would you happen to remember the length of the bowstring for your GE Formula 3D? Just pulled mine out to get ready for fall and found the string had snapped in storage. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    the iron eagle wasnt produced after a few years because it was so hard for people to control it with speed
    your right about that, if I remember right I had arrows going everywere at first, but once I got used to it, (and got some good/right superslams) it was an excelent bow. In fact I it was my only bow until earlier this year whem I upgraded to a silverado sabre
    I am OzArcher!!!
    Hunter of the Knock
    Emmissary of the Bandicoot

265 is very possible, but of course without an arrow weight listed it is a meaningless number. That would be indeed fast with a hunting weight arrow, but with a very light arrow most compunds of the last 10-15 years will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by joeprec View Post
    265 is very possible, but of course without an arrow weight listed it is a meaningless number. That would be indeed fast with a hunting weight arrow, but with a very light arrow most compunds of the last 10-15 years will do that.
    I'm using an expedtion hunter arrow 5575, with blazer vanes and 100 gr field tips for practice and 100 grain grim reapers, cut on contact. I'm using vapor trail string.