Thread: Binary Strings/Cables Adjustments - Learning to tune

Binary Strings/Cables Adjustments - Learning to tune

I have read many different threads and have seen several variations on the effects of twisting or untwisting strings and cables on the binary cams. I was wondering if someone would be willing to fill in the blanks for the scenarios below:

1. Twist Cables = "____" DL; "____" DW; "___" ATA; "___" BH

2. Untwist Cables = "____" DL; "____" DW; "___" ATA; "___" BH

3. Twist String = "____" DL; "____" DW; "___" ATA; "___" BH

4. Untwist String = "____" DL; "____" DW; "___" ATA; "___" BH

5. Twist Cables & Strings = "____" DL; "____" DW; "___" ATA; "___" BH

6. Untwist Cables & Strings = "____" DL; "____" DW; "___" ATA; "___" BH

7. Twist Cables & Untwist String = "____" DL; "____" DW; "___" ATA; "___" BH

8. Untwist Cables & Twist Strings = "____" DL; "____" DW; "___" ATA; "___" BH

9. Let-Off is a function of (i.e. strings, cables, draw stop, etc.) "____" with the "___". In other words, what factoer effect let-off.

I am new to tuning my own equipment and would love to learn as much as I can and gather as much inut as I can. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. Twist cables, slightly increase DL, increase DW, very little effect on ATA and BH.
    2. Untwist cables, slightly reduce DL, reduce DW, very little effect on ATA and BH.
    3. Twist String, Decrease DL, Decrease DW, Decrease ATA, Increase BH
    4. Untwist String, the opposite of each of the above.
    5. Twist cable and string, Called adding to the pre-load of the limbs. (May make the bow come up to peak weight a little sooner in the draw but most binaries seem to have quite a bit of pre-load already.)
    6. Opposite of the above.
    7. Twist cable and untwist string, Increase DL, Increase DW, Increase ATA, Decrease BH.
    8. Opposite of above
    9. The draw stop is designed to set the let off on binaries. If you adjust any of the factory spec lengths the change will affect where in the draw cycle the draw stop hits the limb. In some cases the amount of twist you add or take from some combinations of string and or cable may make it impossible to get the amount of let off and or valley you want.
    10. Other factors you need to consider are your tiller measurements (they need to be balanced top and bottom.) and your limb bolt adjustment. Tightening your limb bolts will of course raise your DW but it will also slightly increase your ATA and slightly decrease your BH. Loosening your limb bolts will do the opposite. Somebody smarter than me may jump in and correct me on any of these.

Thanks for this information.

The only problem I have is that the 2007 Guardian doesn't have a drawstop peg. The string stops against the modules.
    Default it will be 80% let-off.
    I added a plastic cap to get the let-off down to 65%, but I can't get it close to that value.

After trying several ways to get there I stuck at 60#/14#, so about 77% with the plastic cap on the modules.
    What am i doing wrong?

The timing when drawing and backing it up seems to me perfect.
    The poundage and braceheight is like factory specs, just like the axle2axle.

I don't get it...
    New Breed Archery Cyborg & Horizon
    Sureloc - Arctec - Propoints - Bowjax - Scorpion
    << New Breed Target staff - ArcheryCentre.com staff >>

What I have found is the slaved cams (both cables connected to the cams) work like a 2 cam bow. Twisting the cable on the outside of the cam (end that connects on the edge, not the center) will change positioning of that cam more while leaving the cam position of the opposite cam.
    LeEarl

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBob View Post
    1. Twist cables, slightly increase DL, increase DW, very little effect on ATA and BH.
    2. Untwist cables, slightly reduce DL, reduce DW, very little effect on ATA and BH.
    3. Twist String, Decrease DL, Decrease DW (wouldn't this increase the DW), Decrease ATA, Increase BH
    4. Untwist String, the opposite of each of the above.
    5. Twist cable and string, Called adding to the pre-load of the limbs. (May make the bow come up to peak weight a little sooner in the draw but most binaries seem to have quite a bit of pre-load already.) (Sounds like this would increase DW. What effect would this have on DL, ATA, BH?)
    6. Opposite of the above.
    7. Twist cable and untwist string, Increase DL, Increase DW, Increase ATA, Decrease BH.
    8. Opposite of above
    9. The draw stop is designed to set the let off on binaries. If you adjust any of the factory spec lengths the change will affect where in the draw cycle the draw stop hits the limb. In some cases the amount of twist you add or take from some combinations of string and or cable may make it impossible to get the amount of let off and or valley you want.
    10. Other factors you need to consider are your tiller measurements (they need to be balanced top and bottom.) and your limb bolt adjustment. Tightening your limb bolts will of course raise your DW but it will also slightly increase your ATA and slightly decrease your BH. Loosening your limb bolts will do the opposite. Somebody smarter than me may jump in and correct me on any of these.
    Thanks for the input. Can someone comments on the questions in red above?

What bowtech told me about let-off on a Guardian

To adjust let-off on a Guardian. Untwist string to increase let-off %. Only do one twist at a time and check let-off.

Quote Originally Posted by MAG00 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Can someone comments on the questions in red above?
    3. Twisting (shortening) the string will Decrease DW.
    5. Draw length should stay about the same. ATA will decrease and BH will increase, but neither as much as by just twisting the string.

ttt