a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: The 5 grain per pound rule

The 5 grain per pound rule

How much stress do you put on today's bows by shooting a minimal 5 grain per pound arrow? Should we expect these bows to last for years under these conditions, or should we shoot heavier arrows? Thanks in advance for your input.

If you shoot Barnsdale/Hoyt and Martins with laminated limbs 5grs. per pound no problems and PSE X Forces seams to be doing fine but not naming a couple and we all know who they are 5grs. per pound is not enough.

I shoot every bow at 5 gr lb and have for years..... I shoot often and I shoot year round....... I have never experienced a bow or limb failure...... I shoot a lot of 3-d and IBO events and know a pretty big circle of people who do the same and also dont seem to have any problems...... Most limb failures seem to be pretty isolated to specific brands or models of bows.....

Surely the 5gpp rule of thumb is overly simplistic. The best guide to arrow weight is here:

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery8.html

I think 5 GPP is pretty safe these days, except for the aformentioned blow-up prone bows . . .

Actually, I think in most cases with good equipment you can go below 5 GPP with no big deal risk. I shot my HCA (bansdale limbs) quite a bit this summer at about 4.2 GPP and 32" draw with no problems so far. (don't know what would happen after years of doing this though)

Quote Originally Posted by PB26 View Post
    Surely the 5gpp rule of thumb is overly simplistic. The best guide to arrow weight is here:

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery8.html
    This is absolutely true. It's a known fact that for any given arrow weight and draw weight a longer drawlength equates to more speed.This is because a longer draw stores more energy (stress) in the limbs. It stands to reason that a shorter draw stores less energy (stress) so a lighter arrow can be shot with a certain amount of safety.

To that end I still stick to a 5gr/lb rule even at my 27" draw. Not because of some rule or warranty issue. Just because I choose to.
    PRESERVE, PROTECT, AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES FROM ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, including the POTUS
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    UBP Life Member,PSAA Life Member
    Hutch~N~Son strings by Bowstring Depot

The 5 grain per pound rule

Quote Originally Posted by CDN View Post
    How much stress do you put on today's bows by shooting a minimal 5 grain per pound arrow? Should we expect these bows to last for years under these conditions, or should we shoot heavier arrows?
    Year 2000 Hoyt UltraTec still going strong shooting 5.06 grs per pound - 286 fps.
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver Pro, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Deuce, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Stinger
    with Stinger back bars.

I'm down around 4.8 grain per lb... so far it's working out OK.
    -2008 Martin Firecat w/ 2009 CAT Cams and 2010 Limbs

-2008 Pearson Spoiler Angle