a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Piston Point Broadheads?

Piston Point Broadheads?

Thinking of trying these out this season.

Any good reasons not too?

I understand they "fly like field points" but I prefer to check just in case, is there a "practice" version?

Or is one even necessary?

Also wonder about damaging them pulling out of a foam block.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe it was Bowhunting World magazine that did a test on mechanical broadheads and both the Piston Point and the ones from Tru Fire that are similar had great flying characteristics, but when torture tested by shooting through Durock, both heads did not penetrate as well as most and both of these heads were destroyed. All the blades broke off. Might do just fine in deer.

I believe the Piston point broadheads are now called the Undertaker broadheads by Trophy Ridge! Primos outdoors is shooting these heads.
    2011 ATHENS ACCOMPLICE 34
    http://www.jayhawkoptics.com JAYHAWK OPTICS YOUR SOURCE FOR VORTEX OPTICS AND ATHENS BOWS
    Team #37 Lung Busters
    Seeking out new sights on the strength of my feet and the courage of my lungs

I know 3 guys who took elk with them last year and rave about them- haven't heard anything but enthusiastic praise so far.

Konawa, Oklahoma www.robertsretreatlodge.com
    I shot them into a broadhead target and they failed to open.... I think they started to open but the pressure on the blades was greater than the head so they closed back up.

In a deer I don't know, but other broadheads did open in the target so I don't use piston points any more.

The one made by tru fire cannot close back up and works fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Dashai View Post
    I shot them into a broadhead target and they failed to open.... I think they started to open but the pressure on the blades was greater than the head so they closed back up.

In a deer I don't know, but other broadheads did open in the target so I don't use piston points any more.

The one made by tru fire cannot close back up and works fine...
    I never "trust" what a broadhead target shows me as far as whether or not it will open up in a deer. Every Spitfire I've ever shot into a Block-type target is fully closed when I pull it out. Unless the broadhead is sticking out the back, you cannot be 100% sure.

I have not used the Piston Point, but I do use a broadhead that is kind of similar: the Rocky Mountain Revolution. It has three, rear-deploying blades like the PP, but it has a sliding collar v. a sliding tip that deploys the blades. It is easily the most accurate broadhead I've ever shot and I'm guessing the Piston Point would be just as accurate and just as strong.

Revolution

Piston Point
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse
    2011 PSE X-Force Dream Season Evo in black/camo; AAE DOA drop-away rest
    HHA OL-5019 sight; 1/4" Red Eye Peep; Spot-Hogg Saturday Night Special release
    27" Easton XX78 2314's with NAP Twisters and wraps; 125 grain Magnus Snuffers

They will be on the end of my arrows this year!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RH#8 View Post
    They will be on the end of my arrows this year!!!!
    I stopped to buy my hunting license last night and they had packs of the Piston Points and the new Tru-Fire heads on the rack. I realize looks can be deceiving, but those Tru-Fire heads just look like they would have serious penetration issues. The PP heads look good.

Good luck with them!
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse

They fly great, as any mech head should. They do not make a practice head so you'll want to buy a pack for practice and a pack for hunting.

You will see some damage to the blades (small nicks)when you pull them out of a foam target because the blades fold towards the tip when you pull them out.

I took two deer last year with them with very impressive results,I definetly will be using them again this year.

Piston Point

I shot my Ks Bruiser with one last year ran 40yds fell over Awesome entrance and EXIT hole, blood trail a blind man could follow I will be using them on Elk this yr. I even called the Primos guys to enquire about their success on Elk they had nothing but praise granted they are in the business of selling the "undertaker" but I firmly believe that if it didn't work they wouldn't market it nothing hurts a business worse than a faulty product and They must be good business man they seem to be growing. MWC
    Bowtech Bows Crackerized
    Land of OZ ie:monster bucks atleast on TV

Never mind my original post I found out the blades fold forward. sorry
    Love to see them do the wobbly dance just before they fall

I shot a Antelope quartering away at a long distance and they opened on the soft skin behind the ribs and passed threw the ribs on the other side huge entry and exit. Friend shot a 370" bull elk at 45yards once again huge enrty and exit holes. Very happy

Quote Originally Posted by ASASN View Post
    I shot a Antelope quartering away at a long distance and they opened on the soft skin behind the ribs and passed threw the ribs on the other side huge entry and exit. Friend shot a 370" bull elk at 45yards once again huge enrty and exit holes. Very happy
    Deer is one thing; elk another. Hearing about good entry AND exit holes on a 370" elk sounds good to me.
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse

Thanks for the replies and comments.

Sounds good to me