Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: quoting the bible to non-believers

quoting the bible to non-believers

When people quote the bible to non-believers do they realize that most agnostics/atheists don't care what the bible has to say? We don't follow the bible for a reason. You giving me a direct quote is not going to convince me to start believing, ever.

To religious folk - if atheists had a book to which they subscribed that detailed their beliefs and I quoted it to make my point, would it carry any weight with you?

Most times quoting the bible (unless specifically debating passages) comes off as bible thumping or fundamentalist preaching.

This has been your agnostic public service announcement, thank you.

I can't remember the quote from sunday school, it's been a loooooong time. But something to the effect of "Christians are the Bible most people read."

And now you know why you will have a difficult time finding any postings that I do that have verses quoted. I try only to quote when someone asks, or to show an incorrect assumption.

Dwayne
    Barebow attitude: I sure hope I hit that bullseye!
    Compound attitude:I sure hope I dont miss that bullseye!
    Archers Attitude:I sure hope I can help this guy hit the bullseye.
    If shooting a Doe is pointless, Is the shooting of a Buck a way of racking up points?

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneR View Post
    And now you know why you will have a difficult time finding any postings that I do that have verses quoted. I try only to quote when someone asks, or to show an incorrect assumption.

Dwayne
    I-we greatly appreciate that as well as few other posters who do not quote scripture just "becasue" but only when specifically addresses scripture debate....
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

What I wanna know is why is it when Skeptics quote the Bible to alleged "Christians" the Christians lie, wheedle, cajole and attempt to mistranslate it into meaning something other than what it says and means.

Best example being that whole "Sell everything you have and give it to the poor" admonishment from Jesus.
    People who fixate over homophobia and dietary restrictions will preach till they are blue in the face how Jesus somehow did not mean what He said. When you point out, "Uh, no, He did, because He lived that way and so did His followers" they get quiet.....

LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKSTER View Post
    I-we greatly appreciate that as well as few other posters who do not quote scripture just "becasue" but only when specifically addresses scripture debate....

I'm still not changing my sig.....

Just joshen ya lil BUCK.
    Kravguy said I could have my mancard back.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar1305 View Post
    What I wanna know is why is it when Skeptics quote the Bible to alleged "Christians" the Christians lie, wheedle, cajole and attempt to mistranslate it into meaning something other than what it says and means.

Best example being that whole "Sell everything you have and give it to the poor" admonishment from Jesus.
    People who fixate over homophobia and dietary restrictions will preach till they are blue in the face how Jesus somehow did not mean what He said. When you point out, "Uh, no, He did, because He lived that way and so did His followers" they get quiet.....

LOL....

You mean like a person who's fixated on telling others to selling everything they have and food restricts on how Jesus said to live till he is blue in the face.....Templar save us all the time and redundancy of your post by just putting the above in your signature lines.....

My gosh man your as reduant as the every knee shall bow before God crowd....
    Last edited by BUCKSTER; August 5th, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by savedbygrace View Post
    I'm still not changing my sig.....

Just joshen ya lil BUCK.

That's okay I read your signature lines once and don't read them anymore....well except when you added in the can't type part.....

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    When people quote the bible to non-believers do they realize that most agnostics/atheists don't care what the bible has to say? We don't follow the bible for a reason. You giving me a direct quote is not going to convince me to start believing, ever.

To religious folk - if atheists had a book to which they subscribed that detailed their beliefs and I quoted it to make my point, would it carry any weight with you?

Most times quoting the bible (unless specifically debating passages) comes off as bible thumping or fundamentalist preaching.

This has been your agnostic public service announcement, thank you.
    pretty fun, that.

Now to wait for the verses to be posted.
    ...evil comes right off with a little paint thinner.
    - mattawamkeag

I've created a seperate thread and moved the "sell everything and give to the poor" stuff to that thread.
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=732202

That's okay I read your signature lines once and don't read them anymore....well except when you added in the can't type part.....

I'll let ya know when I add the "BUCK is my hero" line so you can be impressed.

I'll let ya know when I add the "BUCK is my hero" line so you can be impressed.
    Sweet.....just let me know when

Quote Originally Posted by sj_lutz View Post
    I've created a seperate thread and moved the "sell everything and give to the poor" stuff to that thread.
    Better make that a sticky for Templar

Now, as to redundancy. Just because an argument has been raised before doesn't mean it is no longer relevant. Good points don't expire. Though, I also agree, hearing the same thing over and over again can get boring. Doesn't make the argument wrong, though.
    <evidence><
    ..../............\.......
    Hoyt GM OR - Adcock ACS LB - Bickerstaffe ELB - USA Archery Level 2

"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.” HL Mencken

Sweet.....just let me know when
    Fixed. I hope you realize that I wouldn't do this for just anybody...

Plus I'm doing it at the risk of having too many lines in my sig and getting the bant for not changing it. Now thats true friendship right there. *2 thumbs up*

Plus I'm doing it at the risk of having too many lines in my sig and getting the bant for not changing it. Now thats true friendship right there. *2 thumbs up*
    Awesome.......Now in my daily affirmation I can say And Darn gone-it SBG thinks I'm a hero....instead of my normal.....I'm Buckster and darn gone-it people like me

friendship right back at You can remove it so you don;t get moded for over lineage....and I will read your signature line 5 times today to say thanks

Banning sequence initiated........10.....9..... 8.....7......6.......5.....4.. ...

That's a big AMEN bro Booger!!!

How about those Twinkies

....and I will read your signature line 5 times today to say thanks

Now thats the real plot behind my scheme.....MUAWWWWWWHAAAAAHAAA A!!!

You know your my bud, wouldn't be no fun if we couldn't pick at each other.

Quote Originally Posted by sj_lutz View Post
    Banning sequence initiated........10.....9..... 8.....7......6.......5.....4.. ...
    O man...forgot you upgraded to mod status....Im sure we can, ahemmmmm($$$$$), work something ($$$$$) out....

PS>>> Sorry Boog didnt mean to hijack

Quote Originally Posted by Basura Blanca View Post
    That's a big AMEN bro Booger!!!

How about those Twinkies
    Its the summer of stun!! Thats what we call it in the business. You'd think after losing the team's best 2 players we would suck, but every damn year we contend.

O man...forgot you upgraded to mod status....Im sure we can, ahemmmmm($$$$$), work something ($$$$$) out....

PS>>> Sorry Boog didnt mean to hijack
    Yeah I don't care (see the Twins post).

This was really just a heads-up for anyone who thought they might magically convert someone by quoting the bible.

It also is somewhat funny to hear we are going to hell, which is just a concept from the bible in which we choose not to believe. Although it is nice to know some people believe we will go to a non-existant place that we don't think exists. Thanks for your concern, it not without consideration.

You could probably fit "BUCKSTER is my hero" in the title under your name.

Quote Originally Posted by booger
    This was really just a heads-up for anyone who thought they might magically convert someone by quoting the bible.
    Those ones are spooky.
    They throw in a verse that has nothing to do with the topic and think it has magical powers.
    Sometimes I like to throw out a "OMG!!! I've been saved and it was all because of that verse you quoted." just to bug them.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post

You are correct.

You are correct.
    Great...now she's going to have to get a costume and a cape and everything---hold that, I just remembered that scene from the Incredibles, better skip the cape...
    <evidence><
    ..../............\.......
    Hoyt GM OR - Adcock ACS LB - Bickerstaffe ELB - USA Archery Level 2

"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.” HL Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post

Those ones are spooky.
    They throw in a verse that has nothing to do with the topic and think it has magical powers.
    Sometimes I like to throw out a "OMG!!! I've been saved and it was all because of that verse you quoted." just to bug them.

So true......magical powers....over the Internet...... Then you ask them to stop preaching and they say "I'm not preaching" uh-yeah you are and your not suppose to lie either tsk tsk

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast