Archery Talk Forum banner

Beijing Olympics chest protectors

7K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  wis_archer 
#1 ·
I give up! Does anyone know where to find one of those cool chest protectors some of the olympic women archers are wearing - they have Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, etc.?

#2 ·
I always assumed they were 'home' made. Maybe they are made by a company since Winnie and Mickey seem to be the only alternative ones to the solid colors we usually see.

#6 ·
I would have to say some form of "homemade" - be it from scratch of just a sticker/patch.

I know a few years back I was playing with different bow slings (I hate the ones that attach at the stabilizer bushing). I found the finger slings to be somewhat uncomfortable and was looking at a wrist sling - however they cost more than I really wanted to spend one something I couldn't resale (no one around here used them).

What made up my mind to try it was watching a video of one of the South Korean women in the last Olympics shooting. It was a video talking about follow through and had a close up of her bow hand - I noted the little plastic end from a shoe lace and the markings of one of the laces I had been using to see if I liked the sling. So, basically, I chose the sling I liked and just worried that is stopped the bow from flying out of my hand (ended up wrist sling). I figured if a shoestring and a clasp that looked like the one I purchased from Home Depot was good enough for her it was good enough for me. I also noted that even the Olympic recurve people also make their own equipment in some cases.

Personally I also made my own chest protector - I fitted a piece of cloth over the area I wanted to cover - though I used a piece of newspaper for the first fitting. I then pinned some strapping material where it looked like it would pull and just looked to see what it did and adjusted the fit points until I couldn't really feel the protector on myself. Then I sewed it all together. Unfortunately cloth is cloth (no protection than a shirt) and it needed something more substantial under it so I affixed a piece of cross stitch material under it slightly smaller than the cloth. Light, cool, stiff, and I can wear it all day and never note it is there.

Quite easy to make and it fits me exactly, I like it quite a bit. I could have chosen any material but since I like plain old blue that is the color the covering is. I would guess that even if they used mass produced equipment they like to personalize what they have and add patches and such. I know I would.

#7 ·
Easily made on a dye sublimation or flat bed UV digital printer. Any decent sign shop could do it. Similar to the iron on T-Shirt type printing.

Cya!

#9 ·
I think it's odd that the IOC doesn't make them cover trademarked material.

There are very strict rules in place regarding what logos, and the sizes of the logos, that can show.

#10 ·
That's what I was thinking. I thought I had seen something on AT a while back about logos on the bows themselves too. Are equipment logos something they are more lax on now?

Last I saw, there are no Mickey and Pooh brand risers and limbs. Hoyt better jump on that!

#15 ·
I know we (Paralympic Archers) have very strict rules about the size and number of logos on our equipment and no logos can show except those of the manufacturers of that particular piece of equipment. Even some of the logos on my shoes will have to be taped over because only "one" can show, and we won't receive a tenth the coverage that the Olympic archers will get.

I don't think Hello Kitty makes chest protectors. :tongue:

#16 ·
THe "thing" on the chest protector is not Hello Kitty. So it may not be a logo of any kind, just some cartoon character.

There may be a copyright violation but chances are it is not a commercial logo and thus, ok for decoration.

I wonder why the Koreans want to look cute? Theer were some pretty scary looking women but the Koreans always looked non threatneing. Some psychological tactic?

Cya!

#18 ·
Ta-re Panda?

The one Yun's wearing looks like Ta-re Panda - "Droopy Panda" popular in Asia. A lot of Asian women like to look cute rather than look sexy, so all over Asia you see grown women carrying Gucci bags and hello kitty cell phone charms.

Copyright? If you've been to China or Korea, you know you can buy a copy of anything at one of those huge street markets! They are REALLY good at copying things.

Those chest guards are cute, though. Gave me some ideas...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.