Archery Talk Forum banner

Treestands

1K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  rjtfroggy 
#1 ·
Just wondering what alot of you guys use for treestands where you have to put them up and take them down everytime you hunt an area. I hunt some public land and I have always favored lock on stands and climbing sticks but it seems like I have alot to carry in and set up just to hunt for a few hours and then take it all down in the dark and try to be quiet packing it in, during set up and take down, and packing it out. Not to mention having to carry it all and try to be able to shoot at an animal on the way in if the shot presents itself. I am wondering about a climber this year but I want one that is stable. We have one but if you shift your weight the slightest bit then it moves and feels like its coming off the tree. Anybody have a good suggestion for a good climber I am thinking about a summit bushmaster because of the open front, or a lock on and sticks that would be easy to pack in and set up quick? I just want to be able to get in quietly and hunt without taking 15-20 mins to set a stand up.

#2 ·
Just wondering what alot of you guys use for treestands. I just want to be able to get in quietly and hunt without taking 15-20 mins to set a stand up.
I have used Summits a long while and have never felt unstable. I use a Viper and stand to shoot a bow, but I like them a lot. I am 6'4" 235 and they are large enough for me to be comfortable in and weigh in at about 20#'s. Any climber can shift if you get your weight all on one side or lean out to look around an obstruction, so be careful out there. I read a lot of good things from bow hunters on Lone Wolf stands as well.

#5 ·
Yep!

There is a learning curve to climbers. Picking the right tree, setting up and climbing quietly.

There are advantages as well, you can hunt much higher if need be, you can move to a different location quickly and easily, you only need one stand to hunt nearly anywhere you'd like and you don't give away any spots like you would if you left a hang-on for another sit.

#4 ·
Doghouse Blind

I hunt some public land and I have always favored lock on stands and climbing sticks but it seems like I have alot to carry in and set up just to hunt for a few hours and then take it all down in the dark and try to be quiet packing it in, during set up and take down, and packing it out.
I also hunt alot of public land and do alot of walking to get away from the truck type hunters. I bought a doghouse blind a few years ago for around 45 bucks on sale and it has worked great. It only weighs around 13 lbs, I think mine weighs less because I dont carry the inside poles or the stakes (havent needed them). This blind is very quiet I have set this blind up and got in it with a small 8 point not even 75 yards away.
I set the blind with the back facing downwind and I have fresh earth scent wafers in the windows. i leave the earth wafers attached when I put the blind away in the bag it came in, smells like a handful of dirt when you get in it. Also use a three legged stool I got from Academy paid 9 bucks for it, and a bow stake that holds my bow in front of me. I have killed alot of deer with this set up and Knock on wood have not been winded yet.
I also have a climbing stand I bought 10 years ago, dont remember the name but it weighs around 15 lbs, I rarely use it anymore since I started doing this.

#7 ·
I really like how the Lone Wolf system works. I have 4 LW Alphas with climbing sticks and I can hang a stand just as quick as going up with a climber. The climbing sticks you can strap to the stand to carry them in.

#8 ·
I hunted last season mostly without a stand. Id usually try to find a spot that was elevated and make a natural blind out of anything I could find. Kinda felt like I was more turkey hunting, but I did see deer. This really works better for rifle hunting though unless you practice shooting your bow sitting down.

#13 ·
I have a Lone Wolf climbing stand and it is very light and pretty quiet. You have to be fairly athletic to use it. I have a friend who took one look at it, laughed, and said no way could he get up a tree with it. That is the stand that I use on Public Hunting prop.
I had a really nice Tree Lounge stand stolen off public hunting land. It was locked with a thick cable type lock which was cut by the theif. I would not ever leave anything in the woods on public property that I would be upset at loosing again.

#14 ·
I would not ever leave anything in the woods on public property that I would be upset at loosing again.
Thats the thing I dont trust anyone around here so I want something that I can take in and out every tiem I hunt. I think I am going to go ahead and order the bushmaster. I tried out my uncles viper again and I was impressed with how solid it felt on the tree. Not a lock on but close.

#15 ·
I believe I have the best bowhunting climbing stand, ever. About 3 or 4 years ago, summit came out with the clearshot. The seat was attached to the platform. It also had a climber piece to help get up the tree. Mine only weighed 15 lbs. What I liked about it was it was just like a chain-on. No handles to get in the way. And with the stirrups, I was up the tree in no time. They quit making it for some reason, But I'm glad I still have mine. They probably didn't market it very well, but I'll tell you that it's a dream to hunt out of.:wink:
tommy

#16 ·
Tree walker has 2 models that will give you an open front. They wt. about 16 lbs on average and are quiet and very easy to use. They also pack in quietly are pretty quiet setting up, are rock staedy and go around trees that are 26 inches around,also you can sit in one all day.
Seats are a mesh type of netting that slide on the bar stock so you can sit facing or away from the tree.
I was never a climbing stand fan until I found these at a sportsmans show, I always used a large lock on (rivers edge or permanent but now you will not find me in anything but my tree walker. Like them so much I bought a second one for when I am changing location. I leave mine in the woods locked and camoed in so they are pretty hard to find.
Best part of all they are all :usa2:
You can find them at www.treewalkertreestands.com
or go to sponsors page and scroll down then click on them, do a search no negatives that I know of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.