a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Carrying a pistol while bowhunting in Pa.?

Carrying a pistol while bowhunting in Pa.?

Can you legally carry a pistol while bowhunting in pa. if you have a concealed weapons permit? I have read the digest and it seems pretty unclear unless im missing something. I had a run in with bears 2 years ago so Im going to get some spray. This is just to clear up a friendly dispute betwwen me and a guy I work with. I cant find anywhere it says yes you may carry one. If you have some proof one way or the other can you point me to where it might be. Thanks for your help

Mathews z7
    Black Gold Acsent
    Qad Hdx
    Proline Bowstrings

I dont know about Pa but in Idaho Washington Oregon you cant Carry a firearm of any type reagrdless if you have a permit or not.
    Vantage Elite spots and dots, alien Z 3D, Warthog Hunting, Savanna long bow fun.
    Victory Pro Staff shooter
    Posten so the spot doesnt move.
    Level 3 community coach

Quote Originally Posted by mathews xt 600 View Post
    Can you legally carry a pistol while bowhunting in pa. if you have a concealed weapons permit? I have read the digest and it seems pretty unclear unless im missing something. I had a run in with bears 2 years ago so Im going to get some spray. This is just to clear up a friendly dispute betwwen me and a guy I work with. I cant find anywhere it says yes you may carry one. If you have some proof one way or the other can you point me to where it might be. Thanks for your help
    Why do you need to? I hunted in clarion county PA for 4 years on my grandmothers property and never needed a side arm.. Nothing in them woods is gonna get ya buddy i promise

yes you can in pa. started two years ago. as long as you have a permit . BUT what didn't make sense was I got a new one & hunting & fishing was on the application .

Quote Originally Posted by DrenalinhnterCO View Post
    Why do you need to? I hunted in clarion county PA for 4 years on my grandmothers property and never needed a side arm.. Nothing in them woods is gonna get ya buddy i promise
    Yes you can but you can't use it to dispatch a wounded animal or anything like that. Self-defense only.

And yes there is a need to. You never know who you might run into out in the woods, there's some creeps out there and if the ever hit the fan I'd like to have something to protect myself with. The more stories I hear on the news the more I wish I was 21 so I could pack a sidearm with me while alone in the woods.

In MI you can if you have a CCW this season I will be packing a glock 36 .45ACP. You never know what kind of A-- you will run into

I have had my CCW for years and really never felt the want or need to have to carry a pistol with me while bowhunting........however after moving to this area (York/Harrisburg) I'm starting to rethink that position. I always approach my vehicle after dark very carefully and am seriously considering toting along the 9mm anymore.

Yeah we can legally do it here now with a CCW........I'm kind of on the fence as to wether or not I will but at least I have that option!

I didnt say there was a need to. I agree it cannot hurt but this is just to clarify a dispute. Can someone tell me where it is written. Thanks
    Mathews z7
    Black Gold Acsent
    Qad Hdx
    Proline Bowstrings

On page 20 in the Pa digest, it seems to me that with a Licence to Carry you can have a handgun while bow hunting, it also says you can not have one bow hunting with a Sportsman Firearm Permit. So it depends on which permit you have.

What you should Do is Call your Local Conservation Office and Get it Straight from the Horses Mouth as to what you can or can't do, if its that unclear in your Regs book! If I have a Question that Is somewhat in that Gray area between Rules I just Give the CO in the next County over a call and Ask......Got his Cell in the directory on my Cell!! I would Rather be Clear on Something before I take a Chance on doing something i'm not supposed to?

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Archer View Post
    What you should Do is Call your Local Conservation Office and Get it Straight from the Horses Mouth as to what you can or can't do, if its that unclear in your Regs book! If I have a Question that Is somewhat in that Gray area between Rules I just Give the CO in the next County over a call and Ask......Got his Cell in the directory on my Cell!! I would Rather be Clear on Something before I take a Chance on doing something i'm not supposed to?
    That's the best thing to do.

This was discussed on AT about a year and a half ago. Here's a copy and paste from NRA's website regarding the Bill that was passed....

"On November 29, Governor Ed Rendell (D) signed House Bill 2563, sponsored by Representative Ed Staback (D-115), into law.

This legislation will allow individuals with a valid Right-to-Carry permit to carry a firearm for personal protection while engaged in any hunting activity or other activity regulated by Title 34 (Game & Wildlife) of the Pennsylvania Code. This new law takes effect in 60 days. Currently, any individual with a carry permit, including law enforcement officers, must disarm before archery hunting and spotlighting. HB 2563 will remove any requirements for individuals who are permitted to carry a concealed firearm for protection to disarm while engaged in any activity regulated in the Game Code, including all hunting seasons.

The bill specifically states that concealed firearms are for personal protection only, and are not to be used to hunt or harvest any wildlife unless the Game Code authorizes them."

Copyright 2006, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
    This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
    3 Bowtech Destroyer 350s

For Sale: Kahles 3.5-10x50 American Hunter w/ TDS Reticle $600

Copied and pasted from 2008-2009 PA Hunting and Trapping Digest

"Firearms - Handguns: A Sportsman’s Firearms permit or a License
    to Carry Firearms is required to carry a handgun, or have in a motor
    vehicle. Licenses to Carry Firearms permits are issued by county sheriffs
    or the Philadelphia Chief of Police. The License to Carry Firearms
    permit only entitles bowhunters or spotlighters, for instance, to
    carry firearms that fall within this classification.
    County treasurers
    issue Sportsman’s Firearms Permits. A person holding a Sportsman’s
    Firearms Permit may not carry a concealed handgun or a loaded
    handgun in a vehicle, and may not carry a handgun while
    bowhunting or spotlighting
    ."

Yeah, they try to make it about as clear as mud, but the portion in italics above states that with a License to Carry Firearms, you can carry your loaded handgun concealed while you're bowhunting or even when you're spotlighting. Just don't make us all look bad and leave it laying on the passenger seat when you're spotting...
    3 Bowtech Destroyer 350s

For Sale: Kahles 3.5-10x50 American Hunter w/ TDS Reticle $600

Quote Originally Posted by Live4Rut View Post
    Yes you can but you can't use it to dispatch a wounded animal or anything like that. Self-defense only.

And yes there is a need to. You never know who you might run into out in the woods, there's some creeps out there and if the ever hit the fan I'd like to have something to protect myself with. The more stories I hear on the news the more I wish I was 21 so I could pack a sidearm with me while alone in the woods.
    .....Trust me I have lived around bears my whole life.... they kill my game cams, and I see mothers and cubs turkey hunting. A bear tried to run up my tree while I was bowhunting and the wind swirled. I never felt the need to carry a gun or spray. The bears that freak a guy out are the bears that are not afraid of humans the one's that live their life in a development.

....I am definitely more nervous about a bunch of bowhunters with 9mm's running around the woods afraid of something or someone, than I am afraid of bears. It's the people with pistols that freak me out.

Your permit has to be for protection! Which when you got most sheriffs departments tell you to get protection becuase it covers everything. It never hurts carry a gun with you when you are alone. There are alot of freaks out there, who knows what might happen.

Nothing in them woods is gonna get ya buddy i promise
    Yeah right. I'm thinking back at the black bear with 3 cubs that had me cornered in my treestand. She knew I was there, just couldn't figure out where. At the time I always carried a 9mm, simply because it was light and handy. Figured if she came up after me in my tree stand, I'd stick it in her mouth and cap off 8 rounds. Talk about being apprehensive walking out of the woods in pitch dark wondering if I was going to bump into them. Started carrying my 45 after that. I'd rather have it and never need it than need it and not have it!

Oh, I forgot to mention the warning to be on the look out for meth labs that have been showing up in out of the way places. Turns out the druggies like to get old motor homes or campers, park them out in the boonies, and start cooking up product. They found one set up in the area I used to hunt.
    Last edited by ultratec00; August 20th, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PA.JAY View Post
    yes you can in pa. started two years ago. as long as you have a permit . BUT what didn't make sense was I got a new one & hunting & fishing was on the application .
    be careful with this one PA has a lot of federal land open to hunting and no hand guns on federal land during bow
    Hoyt Alpha Max32 30/72 posten stab. benfar double wide
    no merit pro team

I hunt in the most isolated desolate part of the county, down a dead end road grown over with weeds and trees.
    Couple of years ago a State Trooper was shot and killed here by a guy cooking meth on a old county road.
    Walking in, i often wonder when i round that curve what i'll run into.
    Its a perfect place to hide and cook dope.
    If they would kill a State Trooper, they would kill anyone.
    I might lose that argument with them standing there holding a bow.
    Quote Originally Posted by gun870guy View Post
    I wish more of you daisies actually went out and failed and learned something on yer own. This isn't a place to learn bowhunting from some J@ck@$$.

It's legal in PA with a Concealed Carry Permit for self defense. It is stated in the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyHOYT View Post
    Hunting shows have turned a once proud part of our heritage into a contest of inches. No wonder society sees hunting more and more in a negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar63 View Post
    I hunt in the most isolated desolate part of the county, down a dead end road grown over with weeds and trees.
    Couple of years ago a State Trooper was shot and killed here by a guy cooking meth on a old county road.
    Walking in, i often wonder when i round that curve what i'll run into.
    Its a perfect place to hide and cook dope.
    If they would kill a State Trooper, they would kill anyone.
    I might lose that argument with them standing there holding a bow.

True, true. One never knows what lurks in the woods. I would hate to be in the wrong area at the wrong time or a window of opportunity for someone else.

You CAN carry a pistol in ID.