Grip Issue

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Thread: Grip Issue

Grip Issue

Hey all,

Looking for some general guidance on form.

Recently, I switched from the stock grip for my Cartel Fantom to the Jager Best 2.0 grip. Ever since I switched grips my arrows are strongly pulling left and down, and the groupings are very inconsistent.

I try to adjust my hand, relax my fingers, etc., but I have very limited success. Sometimes the shot lines up great and I feel as if my grip was correct, but I can't seem to replicate what I'm doing - like the sweet spot on the grip is completely eluding me most of the time.

How does one find a good consistent hand position? What's correct hand position on the Jager grips?
    If anyone could point me to some resources or make suggestions on what I could try I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Just too 'individual' to prescribe a recipe for it, other than to encourage you to keep experimenting with different hand placements until the consistent winner emerges over time.

For what it's worth, with me the Jager 2.0 grip likes to be held snugly (but not tight enough to impede forward jump) on each side. I get this by curling my third and fourth fingers under so that the ring finger first knuckle is pressing somewhat into the side of the grip. That's not a recommendation, as such, only an anecdote that experimentation led me to that hand placement.

Look at these pics (just a few among hundreds of examples) - all of the archers have a unique hand/finger placement
    https://www.google.com/search?q=olym...j3M53gAMj6M%3A
    Last edited by lksseven; November 6th, 2015 at 08:23 PM.
    L K S
    Laus Deo

Your bow is telling you that it is not happy you abandoned and discarded part of her. Switch back and she may forgive you in time..

Or try marking your hand and grip to replicate a better position and see what feels best. Most agree that keeping the knuckles about a 45° angle is a good practice, with the pressure point at the base of the thumb.

uploadfromtaptalk1446855660480.jpg
    Bob Furman

Archery Motto: Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.

I find the Jager to be very comfortable and repeatable. Use the ridge on the left side of the grip to sit in the crease at the base of the thumb (in the life line) and then reach into the throat of the handle, reaching the thumb slightly towards the target. The pinkie side of the hand should be hanging loosely in the air, off the handle. Let the fingers hang loose. (I use a drill wth some of my JOAD kids, holding something like a chapstick lightly in the middle, ring and pinkie fingers, off to the side of the bow.)

JMartin589,

I've struggled with grip issues for an embarrassing amount of time. and while I agree with lksseven's words about how personal hand placement can be, I also agree with archeryal, because the 2.0 grip is what helped me understand bow gripping. It is also true that it is very repeatable, and Paul Jager writes that it was made to allow better consistency in hand placement.

For a lot of people, bow hand gripping comes natural and everything I write here sounds redundant. That's because the bow hand position was either very natural for them, or they were made aware of what they are doing during the shot cycle, and how pressure is applied to the body when the bow is drawn.

Let me ask you a couple pf questions:

1) Why did you switch to a Jager grip in the first place? You must have had a good reason to put a $60 grip on a $120 bow. From your post it sounds like you had more consistency before the switch.

2) Who did your string picture change, and did you notice if the inconsistencies correlate with string picture changes?

I've been trying to have less of my palm touching the grip, thinking that was causing the torquing.
    When I go back I'll try putting the ridge in my life line.
    And then the pressure gets focused on the base of the thumb, into the center of the grip?

I switched the Jager grip because I although my old grip gave some consistency, I wanted to experiment with a higher position to see if my form would improve.
    Also, while the stock grip was comfortable for me - I had no reference for whether it was helping or hindering me, as I had never tried anything else. The Jager was sort of an experiment in that regard, and I figured I could only improve with a high quality product.

This is the 1st thread I opened at AT. See if anything rings a bell:

www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3065570

With out seeing you shoot and with out good understand of what else might have changed or what the rest of your configuration is its very hard to give anything more than generic advice.

See bob's and lks's posts.

For instance, If your arrows were on the stiff side, and you corrected a major amount torque along with a very relaxed grip, then one possibility is your dynamic spine on the arrows could have moved further towards the stiff spectrum. Getting too stiff arrows could be causing clearance problems and left arrows. It can also lead to a much less forgiving configuration.

Please supply us with a lot mofe info.. ( read my sticky about what to include when asking questions) and fill in as much as you can.

D
    The Sticky "What to include" Glossary Thread Carbon Impact Thread

USAA Level 4 - NTS/Regional Coach
    It's the Indian, not the arrow!

It might help to see what your hand looks like at draw. If you have the tendency to heel a bit, it could be that the point on the left edge of the grip is causing torque. Also consider tucking the index finger along the side of the grip. It should get you into the webbing if this is the issue.
    Grip Tinkerer
    http://www.jagerarchery.com/

"Necessity is the Mother of invention, but Lazyness is the Father." -Me-

Why are you thinking that Jager 2.0 grip fits any hand without any personal modification...?

Well, here is a different perspective. I got a Jager 2.0 High grip and spent several months fighting with what I was perceiving as a torqueing problem. It was driving me crazy. Until it was suggested to me to try a Jager 2.0 Low grip. Bam - groups immediately tightened up. In fact, I put it on the morning of a FITA Field shoot and shot my best FITA field round.