Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice regarding unsafe coach

Need advice regarding unsafe coach

Hello

I am looking for advice regarding a level 3 coach that has shown to be unsafe and have no clue what he is doing. He doesn’t even know the whistle system and he is a level 3.

He has also been spreading slanderous comment regarding other coaches that it has caused the other coaches to loss students or have archers quit the sport.

I am keeping this kind of vague because I have tried to seek advice from someone who has been in the sport a long time and is in a position to do something about who blew the situation off. In fact several of us have tried to bring this to him several times to know avail.

I take this sport and coaching very seriously and I feel as an archer and a coach that I need to not drop this. I would hate to see someone give up the sport or even get hurt because of this person’s incompetence.

This is not political; I am really just seeking advice for others and myself.

I am signing this because I really need advice.

Thank you

Tori Schroeder-Kaspert
    T4alba@aol.com

Important...

If this is truly the situation...You need to....
    talk freely and straight foward to this individual. You need to get the support of any other coaches that deal with these kids and have a consensus of the coaches to speak about the safety issues with this coach in a zero tolerance way.
    You are saying safety is an issue. It MUST be addressed immediately.

we as coaches must not compromise our students, or anyone else for that matter when it comes to a safety issue. please man address this issue immediately. Don't let another day go by on the safety issues.

On the other issues invoving misinformed coaching practices you may take a more tactful approach.

But not on safety. Remember once an unsafe arrow is loosed there is no getting it back. No excuse for this. You are responsible as the range master, archery coach to stop this immediately.

But first things first. Form your group immediately and speak to this individual who says they are a level three coach and addres the safety issues. You should have more luck changing the behavior of this coach by havig the consensus of several coaches at once.You MUST bring each and every issue of safety concern out in the open and give this coach the proper handling technique of the safety issues that are being violated.
    Please we don't need an archery accident here.
    Remember the only way to handle safety isues is zero tolerance and a complete stoppage of the practices that are causing this situation immediately and completely.

As a coach yourself ,I feel you have an serious obligation to stop this behavior that is putting others in potetially harms way.

i cant be blunt enough here. Stop it now!!

We as coaches, and any coaches who read this post, are going to be expectig you to post another post tommorrow stating that these issues have been addressed to this coach and that he understands what he is doing wrong here and that he is committed to stop these unsafe practices.

Please let us know.
    Thank you
    yours in archery(safe Archery)

Joe Lorenti
    Pick a spot... success will follow.
    Proud parent of two nationally ranked archers.

Food for thought

Picking up where Joe left off I would like to relate a true story (without details) about how I found myself named as a defendant in a law suit while in college.

At the time I was a freshman, a member of the school Emergency Medical Services Team and a volunteer for the local town ambulance service. One night we responded to a mutual aid call with a neighboring town. I was a newly minted American Red Cross Advanced First Aid and Emergency care instructor and the LEAST experienced member of the team. (At the time Emergency Medical Technicians had only been certified for a few years.) Anyway, while on scene I witnessed an incident involving personnel from the city we were assisting. Making a very long and involved story I cannot discuss short, About a month or so later, the town I volunteered for, my crew chief and I received notice that we were named in a law suit involving care rendered by another service at that mutual aid call.

The town petitioned to be removed from the suit for a lot of reasons. According to the town’s council that represented us the judge was reluctant to remove my name and therefore the town because I was a”… certified instructor and should have recognized what was happening and taken appropriate measures to prevent the dangerous situation that occurred.” Ultimately after being deposed we were dropped as named defendants from the suit. It was definitely not fun.

That was 29 years ago and it has definitely affected how I do things. First, if I see something that is wrong or unsafe it is my responsibility to address the situation with those responsible. Second, If I hold a valid certification it is my responsibility to make sure things are safe or at least within minimum safety requirements. Three, regardless of who else is present if I hold a higher level of certification when something happens and I made no effort to prevent an incident or accident. I can expect to named as a defendant along with every other certified individual present. Unfortunately our litigious society has gotten worse not better in the last three decades.

Gary

Just to add a little to Joe and Gary's excellent advice, I have attached a link to an article my daughter, a dream team coach, and I wrote several years back. The important thing to remember is who is the customer? If a coach doesn't fit with the customers' expectations, then both should move on. While some coaches when approached with the unhappiness of the customer may alter their methods, my experience is that most will not change. It is better to find out early that it is not a good fit and find another coach.

http://www.texasarchery.org/Document...s/TB/CUYAC.htm
    tom

I thought I'd chime in here also. There are many styles and nuances to coaching, especially when it involves young people. Many things we would look at and shake our heads in disbelief are things that may be effective in some circumstances.

But a non-negotiable is safety. Accidents are always lurking about looking for a victim. A coaches duty is to protect, prepare and then train.

My advice is, if there is a range involved have the range owner get involved, it's his liability also. Get support from his credentialing body and fellow piers and gracefully confront this issue.

No need to get tough, unless he blows you off.
    P.I./ W&W4L/ Whatever... Pro Staff

I am sorry to hear that Tori. I assume it is at Woodley park. If that is the case, couldn't the Woodley park Archers 'banned' him from using the faculities? Or atleast write him a formal letter asking him to stop? (not sure if legally they can ban him since they don't own the faculities). If you need more force behind the letter then get El Dorado,Simi Park, local college etc clubs to also sign the letter (I am sure this sort of problem is well known to all of us).

If not then perhaps the club can write a letter to NAA/ Coach Lee and present the problem and ask that his Coaching Creditials be removed or atleast demoted.

Truthfully none of that might Prevent him from coaching but he may become so uncomfortable that he may leave on his own.

I think this highlights a loophole in the coaching creditial system if he got to level 3 and shows such lack of knowledge regarding level 1 information.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Just out of pure curiosity. Is there not a retest method within the NAA? I find it hard to believe that there is no machine in place to deal with this particular issue, it would seem fundamental to system to have a method of arbitrating complaints about coaches. This this type of thing must have arisen before.

Safety First...for most people?

This is as good a time as any to mention a very disturbing observation I saw at the practice range at the National Target Championships in Colorado Springs.

It is often said that archery is one of the safest sports. This is because archery range rules do not allow any room for accidents. One common sense safety rule for all levels of archers is that no one is down range when shooters are on the line, releasing arrows.

Yet, the "dream team" doesn't seem to have that same common sense. One "dream team" archer was actually shooting arrows into a their target when the archer on the next target over was pulling his arrows! Coach Lee was standing right behind the line watching the practice.

I suppose one could say that because of their ability we needent worry, and the targets were only at 10 meters, but accidents do (and will) happen. It would be interesting to see what the response of the NAA insurance carrier would have regarding this practice?
    Last edited by CM JOAD; August 22nd, 2007 at 01:05 PM.

What???

I can only speak for myself and those that I know personally. We work extremely hard to maintain a balance between safety and getting things done. In ALL cases we err on the side of safety. If athletes are shooting and pulling at the same time it is because EVERYONE involved is confident AND comfortable that the probability of an accident in minimal. That includes the Athletes involved and EVERY Coach on the field.

At the risk of being redundant [See my previous post.] IF YOU WITNESSED SOMETHING YOU FEEL IS UNSAFE. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO SPEAK UP AND BRING IT TO THE ATTENTION OF THOSE IN AUTHORITY IMMEDIATELY, IF NOT SOONER, RIGHT NOW! That would include in this case Coach Lee, Myself, any coach on the field, a judge, tournament official, NAA Staff Member, Boad Member the list goes on.

At the time you state the Dream Team was involved I was the FIRST Person that would be spoken to (before Coach Lee, and definitely by Coach Lee afterward) and since I received NO FORMAL or INFORMAL communication from anyone during or after Nationals regarding any incident on the field. I have to intrepret that as YOU were also comfortable with the situation and not concerned with safety at that time.

Gary

Gary Holstein
    USA Archery Junior Dream Team , HPP Regional & Level IV National Coach
    Last edited by coach1; August 22nd, 2007 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CM JOAD View Post
    This is as good a time as any to mention a very disturbing observation I saw at the practice range at the National Target Championships in Colorado Springs.

It is often said that archery is one of the safest sports. This is because archery range rules do not allow any room for accidents. One common sense safety rule for all levels of archers is that no one is down range when shooters are on the line, releasing arrows.

Yet, the "dream team" doesn't seem to have that same common sense. One "dream team" archer was actually shooting arrows into a their target when the archer on the next target over was pulling his arrows! Coach Lee was standing right behind the line watching the practice.

I suppose one could say that because of their ability we needent worry, and the targets were only at 10 meters, but accidents do (and will) happen. It would be interesting to see what the response of the NAA insurance carrier would have regarding this practice?
    This seems to be common practice on SoCal ranges. I was shooting 90 Meters at Woodley Park when an archer walked up to the butt next to mine and started shooting at maybe 20 yards.. I was freaked but was assured that is the way they shoot at Woodley.

As for the coach, determine who the certifying body is supposed to be, verify that he is actually certified, and then file a formal complaint. Any corroborating letters from other students should be included. It is the certifing body's responsibility to make sure their coaches are competent or why bother with a certification?

Cya!

Quote Originally Posted by coach1 View Post
    I can only speak for myself and those that I know personally. We work extremely hard to maintain a balance between safety and getting things done. In ALL cases we err on the side of safety. If athletes are shooting and pulling at the same time it is because EVERYONE involved is confident AND comfortable that the probability of an accident in minimal. That includes the Athletes involved and EVERY Coach on the field.

At the risk of being redundant [See my previous post.] IF YOU WITNESSED SOMETHING YOU FEEL IS UNSAFE. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO SPEAK UP AND BRING IT TO THE ATTENTION OF THOSE IN AUTHORITY IMMEDIATELY, IF NOT SOONER, RIGHT NOW! That would include in this case Coach Lee, Myself, any coach on the field, a judge, tournament official, NAA Staff Member, Boad Member the list goes on.

.... I have to intrepret that as YOU were also comfortable with the situation and not concerned with safety at that time.

Gary
    Confident and Comfortable? That is why they call them "accidents". Most people are very confident they can drive a car immediately before an accident. Most hunters are very confident that they won't shoot someone before the gun "accidentily" goes off. The best way to reduce accidents is to minimize the consequence if an accident were to happen. Shooting while someone is pulling on the next bale is NOT minimizing the consequence.

If that is what you choose to do at the training center is one thing. Doing it in front of all the other archers at the nationals is another. What kind of example are you giving? What would be wrong with following the safety rules of the tournament that "everyone" else is expected to follow?

As for me not caring...that is not true. I wasn't comfortable with it then and I am still not comfortable with it now. I WAS concerned with the safety at that time and I am still concerned now. You said it is "my responsibility" to say something. That is why I chose to bring it up now.

A few of us watching commented on it and simply shook our heads. Until I saw this thread, I really didn't know what good it would do to mention it. Unfortuantely, it would be nobody me versus the Dream Team and their National Coaches. So what happens? I mention it and you, as I expected, choose to "shoot the messenger". This is probably why none of us were too excited about mentioning in the first place. I am simply a Level 1 Coach. So much for trying to help the "Big Boys"
    Last edited by CM JOAD; August 22nd, 2007 at 02:51 PM.

Not true. I wasn't comfortable with it then and I am still not comfortable with it now. I WAS concerned with the safety at that time and I am still concerned now. That is why I chose to bring it up now.

A few of us watching commented on it and simply shook our heads. Until I saw this thread, I really didn't know what good it would do to mention it. Unfortuantely, it would be nobody me versus the Dream Team and their National Coaches. So what happens? I mention it and you, as I expected, choose to "shoot the messenger". This is probably why none of us were too excited about mentioning in the first place.

Besides, what do I know? I am only a Level 1 Coach. So much for trying to help the "Big Boys"
    I'm with you on this. Those coaches and archers should be ashamed of their behaviour. They may "feel" comfortable with being unsafe, but they are also modeling behaviour for upcoming generations.

This is nothing more than moral relativism. right IS right and wrong IS wrong. period!!! No matter WHO it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bdca View Post
    This seems to be common practice on SoCal ranges. I was shooting 90 Meters at Woodley Park when an archer walked up to the butt next to mine and started shooting at maybe 20 yards.. I was freaked but was assured that is the way they shoot at Woodley.
    Wow. That just doesn't sound safe. I've seen to many misfires and fingers slipping to do something that silly.

I just don't see how they can balance the risk/consequences equation with that kind of setup.

-Andrew

Coach1 worte: "If athletes are shooting and pulling at the same time it is because EVERYONE involved is confident AND comfortable that the probability of an accident in minimal. That includes the Athletes involved and EVERY Coach on the field.

I strongly disagree with this statement - I am not comfortable shooting while others are retrieving arrows on the next bale. I have been at some tournaments that - if I want to practice, I'm forced to do so with the knowledge that some people will walk down lane while I'm at full draw - in other words - THEY are comfortable, I am not.

If it is not possible to avoid the situation by shooting at a different bale, or different part of the field, I do my best to fall into sync with those on either side of me. If the group on my right moves while the group on my left is shooting, then what am I supposed to do? Frankly - I walk down to retrieve arrows with the less "accurate" shooters, hoping to minimize my own peril.

And before I'm flamed, yes, I do comment to my right and left that it is unsafe, I try to get the group to wait, but some archers don't believe the rules are for them and risk injury anyway.

What's the solution? Rules, enforcement and accommodation. 90 meters shouldn't be next to 30 meters - put some distance between sets of bales so that the group shooting at 90 and the group at 30 can walk as a group at different times and still remain safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Coach1 worte: "If athletes are shooting and pulling at the same time it is because EVERYONE involved is confident AND comfortable that the probability of an accident in minimal. That includes the Athletes involved and EVERY Coach on the field.

And before I'm flamed, yes, I do comment to my right and left that it is unsafe, I try to get the group to wait, but some archers don't believe the rules are for them and risk injury anyway.

What's the solution? Rules, enforcement and accommodation. 90 meters shouldn't be next to 30 meters - put some distance between sets of bales so that the group shooting at 90 and the group at 30 can walk as a group at different times and still remain safe.
    The solution is we need more range masters, tournament directors and coaches that will stand up for what is right. The problem is everyone lets it slide because they don't want to offend anyone. I'd rather have offended live people then spoiled dead ones.

Quote Originally Posted by coach1 View Post
    If athletes are shooting and pulling at the same time it is because EVERYONE involved is confident AND comfortable that the probability of an accident in minimal. That includes the Athletes involved and EVERY Coach on the field.
    That should NEVER ever happen period. It won't on my watch.

Keyword to above quote is "probabilty". I prefer the words "near impossibility"

Freak wind gusts, string breakage, limb failure, arrow breakage, inadvertant jostling by another shooter, even witnessed a seizure in a 21year old once.

Confidant my foot, thats pure arrogance at its worst. ANY RSO in ANY shooting sport better know when the range is hot and not let one toe of any archer period over the shooting line.

Shame on you for allowing that. Bloody shame.

I simply amazed we are even having this discussion. It is too much to believe that the USAT, it's coaches and anyone else remotely related would endorse this, much less participate.

WHAT are they teaching JOAD?

I challenge any HPP coach or Coach Lee himself to justify this behaviour.

Wrong or right, safe or not, there is a post in this thread that seems to indicate that that is pattern and practice at Chula Vista. My guess it is because coaching time is precious. And also at that level....(Reminds me of a master climber I met who climbed 5.11+ routes free solo. He had actually set the first 5.14, and everyone argued that at his level the risk of the rope breaking exceeded the risk of him falling...whatever.)

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=531192

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical Cat View Post
    Wrong or right, safe or not, there is a post in this thread that seems to indicate that that is pattern and practice at Chula Vista. My guess it is because coaching time is precious. And also at that level....

"At that level" - I used to be "at that level" and I was never comfortable with shooting while others were at the next target pulling arrows. As said before, anything can happen - broken knocks, releases that fire at will, damaged arrows, fletchings falling off in mid flight - all have unpredictable effects - and these are just a FEW of the things that happened to me personally. Unfortunately, it's going to take one mistake and then common sense will rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical Cat View Post
    Wrong or right, safe or not, there is a post in this thread that seems to indicate that that is pattern and practice at Chula Vista. My guess it is because coaching time is precious. And also at that level....(Reminds me of a master climber I met who climbed 5.11+ routes free solo. He had actually set the first 5.14, and everyone argued that at his level the risk of the rope breaking exceeded the risk of him falling...whatever.)

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=531192
    Yes, I made the post about this practice at the OTC. In fact at the time I challenged Coach Lee that this was not acceptable, especially in front of all the JOADs. I made my point.

A few years back the junior world trials were held in Chula Vista. One of the kids I coach was practicing on official practice day before the trials. The shooting and pulling simultaneously was occurring. On one end one of the kids on the official practice field saw a friend on the unofficial practice field and decided to cut across the field to see their friend. All of a sudden my archer sees a head in their compound scope as this archer was about to shoot. The archery couldn't let down fast enough and it still causes nightmares to this day. Anyone with risk management experience will tell you this practice is unacceptable. We are humans and shooting mechanical devices. Humans make mistakes and mechanical devices break. Mitigating the risk is so easy, everyone pulls at the same time. The arguements for shooting and pulling at the same time are so weak that any lawyer would have a field day in court were the worst to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    "At that level" - I used to be "at that level" and I was never comfortable with shooting while others were at the next target pulling arrows. As said before, anything can happen - broken knocks, releases that fire at will, damaged arrows, fletchings falling off in mid flight - all have unpredictable effects - and these are just a FEW of the things that happened to me personally. Unfortunately, it's going to take one mistake and then common sense will rule.
    The insidious danger here is long term. When an obviously unsafe practice is adopted by the pinnacle of the sport, it is in danger of becoming adopted by the lower tiers as being acceptable. 1 and only 1 accident resulting in injury when adherence to the rules could prevent it is totally unacceptable. What on earth happened to being the role model for other archers?

Right or Wrong?

I think it would be very easy get a determination whether the practice of pulling arrows while someone on the adjacent bale is shooting arrows is considered safe or not. The NAA can simply notify their insurance carrier. Problem solved! I am thinking that the insurance company has a very good feeling for the real value of "low probability".

Unsafe Coach

Thank you for the responses regarding the Unsafe Coach.

I need to set some things straight, first he is not a Woodley Park Archers Club Members or Woodley coach, but because we are a public range he can coach as he likes. We have asked him not to coach any Woodley Park Archers classes, but that is all I can do.

Second we have tried to speak to him regarding he dangerous coaching, but he said quote” That’s the way I was taught and I am a Level 3.
    This guy doesn’t even know the whistle system.

He seems to think that this is a personal vendetta, which it is not. I will be honest I can’t stand the guy and for good reason. I am one of the coaches he has bad mouthed; he has also told people who are very new to the sport that Woodley Park classes and range is unsafe and none of the coaches there know what they are doing. We get 50+ on our Wednesday beginner class and over 80 on our Saturday classes. Woodley is trying to promote the sport and teach in a safe and positive way. Not all of our coaches and instructors have a ton of experience, but they are safe.

Trust me when I say we have tried to talk to him, we also tried to have a supposed high level coach talk to him and it did not any good.

I did receive advice from Gary telling me that we should contact Brad Camp at USA Archery which we will do. Thank you Gary.

As for the person who posted that they demand that I post that I have spoken to this person and fixed the problem……

I am not shrinking violet if I have an issue with someone I don’t hesitate to get in their face and those who know me know this to be very true.

I would love to just post this guys name and trash him in a public forum, but I want to be professional and try and keep my involvement in the sport positive.
    I will not just make a post trashing someone without signing my name and hope that it gets solved.

I will keep you posted on the out come of this.

Thank you to those who gave me positive advice.

Tori

QUOTE=JLorenti;5180889]If this is truly the situation...You need to....
    talk freely and straight foward to this individual. You need to get the support of any other coaches that deal with these kids and have a consensus of the coaches to speak about the safety issues with this coach in a zero tolerance way.
    You are saying safety is an issue. It MUST be addressed immediately.

we as coaches must not compromise our students, or anyone else for that matter when it comes to a safety issue. please man address this issue immediately. Don't let another day go by on the safety issues.

On the other issues invoving misinformed coaching practices you may take a more tactful approach.

But not on safety. Remember once an unsafe arrow is loosed there is no getting it back. No excuse for this. You are responsible as the range master, archery coach to stop this immediately.

But first things first. Form your group immediately and speak to this individual who says they are a level three coach and addres the safety issues. You should have more luck changing the behavior of this coach by havig the consensus of several coaches at once.You MUST bring each and every issue of safety concern out in the open and give this coach the proper handling technique of the safety issues that are being violated.
    Please we don't need an archery accident here.
    Remember the only way to handle safety isues is zero tolerance and a complete stoppage of the practices that are causing this situation immediately and completely.

As a coach yourself ,I feel you have an serious obligation to stop this behavior that is putting others in potetially harms way.

i cant be blunt enough here. Stop it now!!

We as coaches, and any coaches who read this post, are going to be expectig you to post another post tommorrow stating that these issues have been addressed to this coach and that he understands what he is doing wrong here and that he is committed to stop these unsafe practices.

Please let us know.
    Thank you
    yours in archery(safe Archery)

Joe Lorenti

Unsafe coach

Thank you for the responses regarding the Unsafe Coach.

I need to set some things straight, first he is not a Woodley Park Archers Club Members or Woodley coach, but because we are a public range he can coach as he likes. We have asked him not to coach any Woodley Park Archers classes, but that is all I can do.

Second we have tried to speak to him regarding he dangerous coaching, but he said quote” That’s the way I was taught and I am a Level 3.
    This guy doesn’t even know the whistle system.

He seems to think that this is a personal vendetta, which it is not. I will be honest I can’t stand the guy and for good reason. I am one of the coaches he has bad mouthed; he has also told people who are very new to the sport that Woodley Park classes and range is unsafe and none of the coaches there know what they are doing. We get 50+ on our Wednesday beginner class and over 80 on our Saturday classes. Woodley is trying to promote the sport and teach in a safe and positive way. Not all of our coaches and instructors have a ton of experience, but they are safe.

Trust me when I say we have tried to talk to him, we also tried to have a supposed high level coach talk to him and it did not any good.

I did receive advice from Gary telling me that we should contact Brad Camp at USA Archery which we will do. Thank you Gary.

As for the person who posted that they demand that I post that I have spoken to this person and fixed the problem……

I am not shrinking violet if I have an issue with someone I don’t hesitate to get in their face and those who know me know this to be very true.

I would love to just post this guys name and trash him in a public forum, but I want to be professional and try and keep my involvement in the sport positive.
    I will not just make a post trashing someone without signing my name and hope that it gets solved.

I will keep you posted on the out come of this.

Thank you to those who gave me positive advice.

Tori

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast