Limb Length/poundage advice

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Limb Length/poundage advice

My 11 Year old is current shooting the following setup:

66" Recurve (25" Riser/short Limbs),
    20lb SF Premium + Carbon Limbs
    Draw weight OTF is 22lb (limb bolts wound in a bit)
    Draw length is 28 5/8s"

We are looking to increase the poundage slightly, I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get some help with:

1.) Given his draw length of 28 5/8s" would it be advisable to move from a 66" to a 68" bow?

2.) We are looking for a 3 - 4 lb otf weight increase. I am unsure whether to go for a 24lb limb (wound up + draw Length poundage gains) or a 26lb Limb (wound down)

Thanks.

blue -

YES - you should be using medium limbs.
    I would go with the 26# and start with the bolts full out, then increase the weight as tolerated.
    Since you are in a "strength building" phase right now, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the tune perfect with every weight change (adjustment).

However, the first thing I would do is crank the limb bolts FULL in and see what weight that gives you otf.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Viper1 many thanks.

Going to move up to a 68". Ordered both 24 and 26lbs to see how he gets on. Will see which suits and sell a set on.

Definitely agree the kid will probably do better with longer limbs, but if you are just trying to see how he progresses with the weight increase, yeah wind the limb bolts in more. You likely have a couple pounds to play with on the current limbs (which is a reasonable jump if you are trying to maintain form). 4# doesn't sound like much, but multiplied over 100 arrows, adds up quickly.

cheers

Ended up going with the 68/24lbs they give 25.15lb fully out and 27.4lb with the bolts all the way in. Now to sort some new arrows :-(

Quote Originally Posted by azureblue View Post
    Ended up going with the 68/24lbs they give 25.15lb fully out and 27.4lb with the bolts all the way in. Now to sort some new arrows :-(
    Carbon Impact Super Club 20/30 are a nice inexpensive arrow (http://www.lancasterarchery.com/carb...lub-arrow.html ) that would play well with your son's new bow setup. Swap the points for some 100gn ACE stainless steel points to increase FOC to a more reasonable number, and you'll be cooking with gas.
    L K S
    Laus Deo

Thanks. Not so readily available in the UK.

:-( is not for the cost but for the pain in getting arrow selection right.

Looking at ACC or ACG.

blue -

I may have missed something ... you have an 11 year old with a 28.625" draw?????
    How tall is he????

The arrows need to be commensurate with his shooting (ability and venue).
    Does he have any scores you can share?

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

I would email Jennifer at Carbon Impact and see if she has dealers over there.

Every time I call her, she's putting together orders for some overseas group. I was under the impression lots of Carbon Impacts end up in the UK. I just don't know where.

DC
    The Sticky "What to include" Glossary Thread Carbon Impact Thread

USAA Level 4 - NTS/Regional Coach
    It's the Indian, not the arrow!

Viper1
    He is 5ft 7in tall. You read it right his draw is 28.625 and to be honest this is being resitricted by his current kit hence the new limbs, arrows etc.....

Shoots club, county and national tournaments.

Indoors
    Portsmouth 540+/600 (5 dozen at 60cm face)

Outdoors
    40mtr 720 - 635 (6 dozen @ 120cm face)

Dchan
    All carbon shafts are not accepted at most shoots. Most are shared sports fields.

He is currently shooting acc arrows.

blue -

11 years old and 5'7"??? We're talking Earth years, right?
    At 5'7", he would also need fairly broad shoulders and/or very long arms.

Indoors, you're not going to do any better than aluminum.

Outdoors, if he is serious and finances permit, go to ACEs.

Sizes depend on final draw weight.
    That may be tricking because he's still growing.

Viper1 out.

Quote Originally Posted by azureblue View Post

Dchan
    All carbon shafts are not accepted at most shoots. Most are shared sports fields.

He is currently shooting acc arrows.
    Oh Right . I forgot about that rule over there.

DC
    The Sticky "What to include" Glossary Thread Carbon Impact Thread

USAA Level 4 - NTS/Regional Coach
    It's the Indian, not the arrow!

Viper1
    You are correct. He is very broad and has a very big wingspan. He is committed,16 hours+ training per week. Finance isnt a restriction within reason.

As we are in a technical phase right now we have been considering ACG's as a good midway point to see us through the winter. We have loads of points in various weights and pin nocks that we have collected getting his previous arrows (ACC 2-00's) tuned that can be used with the ACG's.

Once we approach the summer season and things have settled (draw length and weight) then we could consider ACE's.

Do you think with 1000 or 880 ACG we would be in the right spine range?

blue -

What you believe his draw length and draw weight will be?

If we say 29" and 28#, he'd be in the 780 - 850 range on ACEs.
    Sorry, just never thought the ACCs or ACGs were worth dealing with.

If you need a stop gap arrow, just use Carbon Ones around the 810 mark.
    In all honestly, with the scores you posted, I'd be more inclined to go with the C1s until things stabilize and his scores improve.
    When we talk about benefits from a given arrow, it's the score that matters, not the age of the shooter.

Viper1 out.

Thanks. His draw length approx 28.5 and his draw weight 25lbs.

blue -

That's right now.
    11 year olds have a nasty habit of growing, and if he's 5'7" already....

Indoors I would just use full length 1616s/NIBBs, and outdoors, the 810 C1s would work.
    Before someone jumps in and tells you C1s aren't consistent, a number of my students (and yours truly) have shot into the 800's with them on American/900 rounds.
    You can go with ACEs and pick up a few points, but there's that growing thing to be concerned about.

Viper1 out.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    blue -

That's right now.
    11 year olds have a nasty habit of growing, and if he's 5'7" already....

Indoors I would just use full length 1616s/NIBBs, and outdoors, the 810 C1s would work.
    Before someone jumps in and tells you C1s aren't consistent, a number of my students (and yours truly) have shot into the 800's with them on American/900 rounds.
    You can go with ACEs and pick up a few points, but there's that growing thing to be concerned about.

Viper1 out.
    Except they are all carbon shafts, he needs a composite...

Yes that's correct all carbon shafts are a no go for us.

I am curious why a 810 shaft for outdoors but a 1079 for indoors?

blue -

The C1's have a slightly smaller diameter than the 1616s and you can (pretty much have to) use heavier heads compared to the NIBBs for the 1616s.
    Sorry, forgot about that restriction.
    Kinda curious about why??? If it's a safety thing, you can get carbon splinters from an AC shaft as easily as from a carbon only shaft.

Viper1 out.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    blue -

The C1's have a slightly smaller diameter than the 1616s and you can (pretty much have to) use heavier heads compared to the NIBBs for the 1616s.
    Sorry, forgot about that restriction.
    Kinda curious about why??? If it's a safety thing, you can get carbon splinters from an AC shaft as easily as from a carbon only shaft.

Viper1 out.
    Two words. Metal detector.

Most shoots (not all) are on share sports fields. If a archer were to miss and the arrow was not found you can only imagine the uproar if a participant of another sport were to find it whilst sliding around on the grass etc...... Tournament organisers generally dont want to run the risk, so they tend to ask for them not to be used.

I have settled on the ACG's just unsure which spine, hence the above question about the 1079 and 810 spines. Toyed between the 1000 and 880 ACG's.