Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shoulder hit

shoulder hit

Shot deer in the shoulder this morning. backed out to let it die. My question is how lethal is a shoulder hit? I had about half the arrow in.

Team Archery Assasins

as long as your arrow made it thru the plate its a dead deer,on the shoulder blade dead center there it a slice line of bone that sticks out,you dont want to hit that line your arrow ussually has a tough time penetrating if hit,that was the old wise tail,under normal condition a shoulder hit would screw a deer up pretty bad,i had it already where you hit them dead center but a little high you could knock the shoulder right out of the socket that only happen to me once,
    Last edited by justanotherbuck; September 21st, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
    Come check us out on the largest Wisconsin,Michigan based hunting pages.....[https://www.facebook.com/buckchasers?ref=hl
    https://www.facebook.com/Wi.bowhunters

yeah i was concerned a litte when I saw that the hit was high and the arrow was sticking out. Hopefully when I go back out in an hour or so I will find her.
    Team Archery Assasins

half an arrow worth of penetration? my vote goes for dead deer

If you truely hit her in the 'shoulder' and got 1/2 the arrow to penetrate then you got both lungs most likely.....that deer didn't go 100 yds in that case.

Good luck and let us know!
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

I would also vote dead deer, it was smart of you to back out instead of jumping her out of her bed. Were you hunting from a tree stand ? If so, its definately a good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPappa View Post
    If you truely hit her in the 'shoulder' and got 1/2 the arrow to penetrate then you got both lungs most likely.....that deer didn't go 100 yds in that case.

Good luck and let us know!
    x2
    I deer hunt what do you do ?

I shot a deer yesterday right through the shoulder, it didn't enter directly through the shoulder but broke the backside shoulder, the deer tried to run away but made it maybe 70 yards in plain view and died within 15 minutes. I would guess your deer didn't survive more than an hour.

MasterYoda Guest
    ummm every deer that I have ever shoulder shot, I got complete pass through..... but I do use a stiff carbon arrow and a fixed blade head

Hope you find her! Sounds like a dead deer to me....1/2 arrow length through skin flesh and a shoulder blade that is not thick compared to other bones...soundsl iek she should be dead
    ~2011 Elite Hunter RT AP 25" DL, 52/53 lb, QAD HDX, CJ Mark I, Beman ICS Hunter 500s~
    ~2013 Elite Hunter Black Riser/Snow Camo Limbs 25.5" DL, 50lb-ish , VT Limbdriver Pro, Black Gold Widowmaker, GT Velocity XT 500s~
    ~Trails Cams: P32, P41, S40, SpyPoint IR5~

Sounds like you DEFLATED her to me!!!!!
    BOWTECH INVASION

I generally aim for an offside shoulder exit, especially on a doe. Id say she was done within a couple minutes after you shot her...

Clay
    Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT
    Oneida Osprey (Bowfishing)

Shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by Dude608 View Post
    Shot deer in the shoulder this morning. backed out to let it die. My question is how lethal is a shoulder hit? I had about half the arrow in.
    Sounds like you'll have some work to do.

But the rewards will be fresh meat today.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

That's a dead deer. Half the arrow of penetration slammed the vitals. Just give the deer some time.
    Lancaster Archery Supply - ProLine Bowstrings - Doinker Stabilizers

Prime Alloy - G5 Optix XR2 - QAD Ultra HDX - GT Hunters - G5 T3 / Strikers

Half an arrows worth of penetration tells me you hit the opposite shoulder. DEAD DEER!!!!! Will be checking back for your update.
    Crakerized Mathews Switchback 70#
    CX 300 Rage Hypodermic
    www.advanced-whitetail-hunting.com

Quote Originally Posted by beamen123 View Post
    that's a dead deer. Half the arrow of penetration slammed the vitals. Just give the deer some time.
    x2
    '13 Hoyt Carbon Matrix G3 29"/80# 518 gr. VAP250's @ 280 FPS

Prestige Worldwide Pro-Staff

I'm going for a dead deer vote. If you were any where near the back of the shoulder or an appropriate qaurtering shot you took out bothe lungs and she'll be laying in a pool of her own, red gold.

Thumbs up I Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishnId View Post
    I'm going for a dead deer vote. If you were any where near the back of the shoulder or an appropriate qaurtering shot you took out bothe lungs and she'll be laying in a pool of her own, red gold.
    Sounds like a Dead Deer to me... Best of Luck and keep us posted on the outcome... J.R.
    2008.5 Ninja & Realtree AP Camo Elite Z-28`s 07/08 Black Cammed "Killing Machine" Hardwoods Tribute AT CLASSIFIEDS Administrator CLASSIFIED RULES>>>----->http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/announ....php?f=8&a=168

Thumbs up

From the experience that I have had, I have hit a shoulder on two deer and both times I found them within 75 yards. Both had me wondering if I made a bad shot. I also saw plenty if arrow sticking out, but it does not take much to get half way into a deers chest cavity. Hope you find it.

I did the same thing last year on a nice spike at 18.5 yards . I never found him after I let him sit overnight . Two friends and I looked for over 5 hours the next morning but never found him . That really got to me as I know it was a kill shot but the timber had so much underbrush you just could not see anything. I found blood but not enough of it . I hope you find her because a thing like that can really mess with your mind .Good luck
    Team Exit Wounds

2014-2015 ArcheryTalk Deer Contest

Well we looked for quite a few hours. Not much blood to speak of. We tracked her for maybe half a mile. If she did not walk down a dirt road her less then dime size blood drops would not have even been seen. The arrow did not go in as far as I thought or was maybe hoping. 4 maybe 5 inches. She snapped the broad head off. Is it normal for a broadhead to snap like this (see pic). The rubber band marks how far it went in. Im thinking this deer is alive. Due to the lack of blood and how far we tracked her. Im thinking I need to go back to my Muzzys and get rid of these First cut Mechanicals. Some one asked earlier if I shot this from a stand. No from the ground. I wish I could have this back. As I look back I question my aim. Rushed shot? I dont know maybe just trying to look for an answer thats not their. It was a great hunt ruined by not recovering a deer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team Archery Assasins

dont sweat it to bad if thats all the penetration you got I would say that deer will be a little sore for a couple days but wiil be fine. I have butchered several deer that we pulled broadheads out of the shoulder.
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo Blacked Out
    2011 Bowtech Invasion Black Ops
    2010 Strothers Infinity
    If you can hunt it with a bow, I will!!!!!!

was there blood on the arrow to the rubberband? I'm thinking now that you shot shoulder and the broadhead just stuck there....no penetration whatsoever. In that case he deer is definately still alive.
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

I'll say 2 things:

1. The deer should be fine.

2. Get rid of the First Cuts and find another broadhead. There are a lot better quality heads out there than what Eastman makes, even some that won't break your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPappa View Post
    was there blood on the arrow to the rubberband? I'm thinking now that you shot shoulder and the broadhead just stuck there....no penetration whatsoever. In that case he deer is definately still alive.
    the last blood spot is at the rubberband. I just used the band to mark it.
    Team Archery Assasins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast