Thread: Need climbing treestand opinions

Was Central Illinois.... Back to Utah Now

Need climbing treestand opinions

I need some opinions on climbing treestands. I just moved and now have to hunt a public area where you cant leave stands up on trees. So my only recourse is a climber. I had one in the past and wasn't really impressed with it. It wasnt a "sit and climb", i found it hard to get up tree with. My friend uses a "sit and climb" and he says it is much easier to get up the tree with.

I am 5' 11" and i weigh 255 bs. I would like to hear some opinions as to what brand and make of climbing treestand to consider. My 2 main considerations are ease of use and comfort for a wide arse like me. Thanks for any recommendations on a climber you can give.

Back in Utah after 20 yrs...will miss those big Illinois Whitetails...taking it out on Speed Goats and Elk

summit goliath(sp) should work nice for ya!
    Compounds.....a crossbow without a stock..... ya its still archery...
    Trad bows.....a compound without wheels.....ya its still archery...
    Crossbows.....a compound with a stock....ya its still archery......
    Archery, its why we are all on archerytalk,...... so stick togather and help preserve all our interest, not just your own!

Or the Summit Titan

RED ARROW ARCHERY SUPPLIES
    BLACK EAGLE ARROWS
    U-SLIDE.COM WHAT'S HOLDING YOUR BOW ?

Thumbs up Sit and Climb!!!!!

You will not be disappointed in a Lone Wolf sit and climb. Best climber on the market IMO.

Try these www.treewalkertreestands.com
    Like you I was never fond of climbers then my wife bought me one of these for Christmas a couple of years ago, now I have 2, a Pro mag and the pro mag sl.
    I have since gotten rid of all my hang-ons and a brand new summit that scared the bejesus out of me when I used it.These tree walker are easy to use and all day comfortable.
    Look them up doing a search here on AT and you will not find one negative about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbdanbase View Post
    You will not be disappointed in a Lone Wolf sit and climb. Best climber on the market IMO.
    That would be what I would get if I was going to get a new one. I returned an API Bowhunter a few weeks back. Pretty nice stand but just never used it, it just set in my room. A couple things I didn't like about it though: a little on the heavy and bulky side, doesn't fold very flat, not a sit and climb style. What I did like was: the stability, it seemed pretty quiet to me when climbing, not having a bar in front of me when shooting my bow(but don't get the sit and climb then), comfortable. I though when I got it. oh I'm houng and pretty strong a not sit and climb wont bother me. lol Don't get me wrong it wasn't that bad but trying to do it slowly and with little noise made it more difficult. I still don't like the bar in front of me but if I was to get another one it would be a sit and climb and the one mentioned.

Not to change the subject or to try and change your mind but is a good prtable ground blind an option? You could pack it in and out just like a climber. Also you would have the option to have someone else with you in the blind like a cameraman or friend or family member. And hunting off the ground at eye level is a lot of fun. Good luck
    Team Slayer Outdoors

FOB -O------------> www.starrflight.com
    NC+ Seed Company, Double Z Decals(doublezdecals.com), Madge & Nettie's Cupboard, Prairie Spirit Realty/United Country

Equalizer. HANDS DOWN.

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Try these www.treewalkertreestands.com
    Like you I was never fond of climbers then my wife bought me one of these for Christmas a couple of years ago, now I have 2, a Pro mag and the pro mag sl.
    I have since gotten rid of all my hang-ons and a brand new summit that scared the bejesus out of me when I used it.These tree walker are easy to use and all day comfortable.
    Look them up doing a search here on AT and you will not find one negative about them.
    What makes them safer and more comfortable than a summit ??
    Ten point HLX
    Carbon Express
    Slick Trick Magnums
    Rage two blade

I used my first climber today. It was $100 from Dicks so it is a little heavy and probably not the best seat. I have no frame of reference to other seats. For ease of use it was great. No problem climbing up a tree, I am similar 5'11" 250lbs. The seat got a little uncomfortable after about 2 or so hours, but i could of had the angle wrong. But i didn't have 200 plus dollars to spend on a better climber. Figure out how much you can spend and then get the summit you can afford.

I know you asked about "climbers"...

But I just switched over to a Trophyline Tree-saddle this year and that is better than any climber I've ever used.

For public land mobility, I bring 4 lonewolf mini-climbing sticks and a strap on treestep that I modified to have 3 steps on one strap for my "platform". All together everything to get me in the tree weighs approximately 8#'s....and there is no bulky metal stand. Plus, none of it damages the tree, if that happens to be a rule in your state.

Not to mention, virtually ANY tree that can support my weight is now a candidate for "stand" placement. I dont have to find the "perfect climber tree" which is never right where I want it. I can get up in the nastiest, twisted, branch filled tree, with tons of cover, right over that monster buck rub-line.

Tree-saddle might not be for everyone, but I'd look into it if I were you.

The last climber I had was a Loggy Bayou Stalker Pro, which is awesome, and I dont plan on selling it, but I havent used it once yet this season...Tree-saddle and lone wolf mini-sticks have been with me on just about every hunt. Not sure I'll ever use a climber again.
    This will have to do until I can think of something clever to say.

Quote Originally Posted by electricstart View Post
    What makes them safer and more comfortable than a summit ??
    I don't know if it is safer but IMO it is more stable there is no need for extra straps or foot stirrups for climbing. They have a wide net style seat with an optional pad.
    I don't know about you but when everything feels stable and secure I feel safer and more comfortable.
    Do a search here on AT and this is one product that has yet to be flamed.

Nothing better than the Viper series from Summitt. A few years back my 6-2 290# football playing son was a bit fearfull of using the climbers we had back then. Then he used the Goliath that I purchased for myself - he would not give it back. Needless to say - went out and bought another one. Looking to buy one of their Titan's for the extra room - I just won't tell him about it.