Archery Talk Forum banner

How far will deer travel...?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Meleagris1 
#1 ·
How far do you think deer will travel for food. Like a dailey routine. If their bedding in one area for awhile and corn or alfalfa is near, how far will they travel between the two?

I'm restricted to hunting a huge mass of hardwoods (no acorns) and next to it is about two hundred or so acres of old pastures (hilly) and just beyond that is corn/alfalfa. I wonder if these deer are making this trip dailey/nightly or sticking to the hardwoods. And the deer feeding on the corn are they bedding closer to the crops. From my hardwoods to the crops would be a extensive trip because of the layout.

Thanks in advanced!!

#2 ·
I hunt a marshy area with a Soybean field in the east sideand a corn field about 1/2 mile away on the north side. Once the soybeans turn brown they start making the trip to the corn field.

#4 ·
if they are gonna use the same bedding area every day, I'd say about 5 miles or so. but if theres a food source a distance away, they will find a new bedding area closer to it so they dont have to move as much during daylight. I hunt a place north of me and he has deer all year except right now when all the fields are getting picked a few miles away. the deer will be back end of the month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.