Thread: sighting in my bow

sighting in my bow

hey guys. this is my first post and here is a little backround info...

i have just started bow hunting. my uncle gave me a buckmasters G2. it was his old bow and he had no use for it when he got his new one. this will be my first year bow hunting for whitetails.

i recently put a new peep sight on my bow and it messed up the sightings a little. the arrows grouped way low. so i lowered my whole sight all the way and they are still shooting low. so now do i have to lower each pin?

if i do this might be a problem because the area that i am practicing is only 20 yards max. i have 5 pins and i cant really sight in the 30,40,50,60 yard pins...

what is the best way i can do this, or is my only option to do each pin seperatly?

can anyone help me?

If you need your arrows to go higher then you will need to move your peep up, once you have no more room for the pins to move

You and your uncle wont have the same anchor points, and for this reason, you'll most likely have to do each pin on its own.

Hope this helps.

I would checking the nocking point to make sure it's not too high. Your nocking point should be no more than 1/8" above center. If the rest is too low or nocking point too high, then the arrow will dive upon release. Check the rest/nocking point setting first and then set your peep sight. The best way is to close your eyes when drawing...come to anchor with your eyes closed and once your set, open your eyes...you should be looking right through the peep into the sight. Align the sight ring in your peep when aiming. If these things don't work, then you will need to find a different anchor point.
    The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes....the average response time of a 357 Magnum is 1,400 feet per second.

Boars--->Longbeards--->Bears--->Boars--->Ram--->Antelope--->Whitetail--->Pheasant--->Boars--->Repeat

BROADHEAD TUNING<-----Click

i want to leave everything how it is but when i put the peep in i lowerd it a little. i dont want to mess with the nocking point and the rest at all. i just want to get this thing sighted in.

so if my arrows are shooting low, i need to raise my sight. correct? or lower my sight?

i think im making this harder than it should be...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by sniksoh View Post
    i want to leave everything how it is but when i put the peep in i lowerd it a little. i dont want to mess with the nocking point and the rest at all. i just want to get this thing sighted in.

so if my arrows are shooting low, i need to raise my sight. correct? or lower my sight?

i think im making this harder than it should be...sorry
    The first step of sighting in a bow is making sure everything is in tune and in alignment. You'll never get it sighted in properly if the nocking point and centershot are not set properly. To adjust your sight follow your arrow with the pin.
    The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes....the average response time of a 357 Magnum is 1,400 feet per second.

Boars--->Longbeards--->Bears--->Boars--->Ram--->Antelope--->Whitetail--->Pheasant--->Boars--->Repeat

BROADHEAD TUNING<-----Click

first you need to set your peep so that you can close your eyes and pull full draw then open your eyes and you should be looking through your peep. If not adjust it so you can. Now shoot a couple at 10 yds. remember you move your sight the direction of the miss. that is if your hitting left, move your pins left, if your hitting high move your pins up and so on. Once your good at 10 yds then you can set your 20, 30 etc.
    Just make it count, that's all I'm say'n.

rk is correct....your peep is NOT adjustable...everything else is, not the peep. Once you get everything close try shooting a b-head and see if it impacts the same height as a field pt....if not, you'll either have to move your rest or nock...also, how big is your uncle and how big are you? your draw length needs to be correct before doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sniksoh View Post
    hey guys. this is my first post and here is a little backround info...

i have just started bow hunting. my uncle gave me a buckmasters G2. it was his old bow and he had no use for it when he got his new one. this will be my first year bow hunting for whitetails.

i recently put a new peep sight on my bow and it messed up the sightings a little. the arrows grouped way low. so i lowered my whole sight all the way and they are still shooting low. so now do i have to lower each pin?

if i do this might be a problem because the area that i am practicing is only 20 yards max. i have 5 pins and i cant really sight in the 30,40,50,60 yard pins...

what is the best way i can do this, or is my only option to do each pin seperatly?

can anyone help me?

Anytime I change ANYTHING on my bow, I have to resight in each pin. Changing my draw weight changes how fast the arrow goes, which affects where my sights need to be. A new rest, new release, anthing- will have the same problem. You don't have exactly the same form as your uncle, so don't expect his set up to work without adjustments.

First, set your draw length properly. Decide if you are going to be using fingers or a release. Then set your peep. When you are shooting, how tight are your groups? If they are erratic, then it won't pay to sight in yet. Get your form down first. Once you have that down, then start sighting in.

I set my first pin at 20, then 30-60, some start at 10. Adjust the left/right, then work on your up down. Follow the arrow.. if you shoot left, move the sight left. If you are moving the pins and still shooting low, you may need to lower your anchor points. Setting your 20 will probably be the most tedious and time consuming. After that, find a large outdoor range to set the rest. If you are new to archery, don't really plan on more than 2 pins per day. It takes a while to get accurate at longer ranges.

I hope that helps. It can be very frustrating trying to get set up, but is very well worth it. Happy hunting!