Thread: Jim Edgar Panther Creek Hunting Trip (Pics)

Jim Edgar Panther Creek Hunting Trip (Pics)

So myself, Heidi (Blue Eyes), and our best friends Danny, Diana, and Blake all decided to try our hand at public land hunting at JEPC near Springfield, IL.

We drove down Saturday morning and checked into our place in Chandlerville, IL. First we started out by checking out Danny's new blind he bought so his wife Diana could hunt. This is her first year bowhunting.

Left to Right. Me, Blake, and Danny

Diana practicing her draw in the blind.

After that we all checked out our options for hunting. We knew of a few places that had been recommended but we had limited time to put boots on the grounds and check out the spots. The weather was NOT cooperating and neither were the crops. Most if not all the crops are still up and the temps were in the upper 60s with strong winds. Ugh.

Left to Right Blake, Danny, Me

After picking out a few spots that looked good we went out and tried our best. Here are a few shots of Heidi and I getting set up on the first evening.

We hunted in many different spots. We tried clover, cut fields, timber draws, and thickets. Nothing worked. In fact Heidi and I did not see a single deer all weekend. Blake saw lots of does and a decent buck and Danny and Diana saw lots of does and about a 130" buck. We all hunted hard and moved stands all weekend but no one connected on a deer.

For those that are interested JEPC looks like a great place to hunt and if you decide to hunt it put LOTS of time into scouting. The place is very intimidating because of its shear size. Food is VERY abundant for the deer and so is cover so you really have to put in your homework if you want to take home venison.

As a side note on our way out on the last night Blake finally connected with a buck.....with his BMW. We were on our way out of the park and an 8 point ran out of the ditch and Blake mowed him down. Damage was significant which really sucked. I didn't get pics of the damage, I didn't want to add insult to injury.

All in all we had a great time. We go to spend time with our friends and time in the outdoors. Maybe next year will be better.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 34 - Get Serious
    Spot Hogg - World's Toughest
    Doinker - World's #1 Stabilizer
    Easton Archery - Easton ACC 3-71

HEY,
    Good story with good pictures ! As an Il. resident who has private places to hunt, i've often thought of going to some public land just for a change of pace and to see how hard it would be to hunt a totally new never before seen place.
    Did you run into many other hunters? I know the weather had been plenty warm and that may have slowed hunters down if you didn't see many. I think when the chasing and rut is on, them places could be busy.
    It's also great to see the gals out hunting with you! Wish my wife would, but she's not much of an outdoors type.
    Good hunting to you.
    Proud Hoyt Vector 32 shooter !

Even prouder Christian,husband,and dad !

Thanks for sharing your story and Great pics !

Sounds like the deer had plenty of food and cover , making sighting minimal.

Great pics to go along with the story!
    One of those hunts where its not all about the harvest
    M3

Quote Originally Posted by 62backwoodsboy View Post
    HEY,
    Good story with good pictures ! As an Il. resident who has private places to hunt, i've often thought of going to some public land just for a change of pace and to see how hard it would be to hunt a totally new never before seen place.
    Did you run into many other hunters? I know the weather had been plenty warm and that may have slowed hunters down if you didn't see many. I think when the chasing and rut is on, them places could be busy.
    It's also great to see the gals out hunting with you! Wish my wife would, but she's not much of an outdoors type.
    Good hunting to you.
    We actually didn't see many hunters at all. Maybe 15-20 all weekend. Even if there were 100 hunters out there though that would still be 165 acres to each hunter. More than enough!

How well do Heidi's pink fletchings show up in the grass and such for retrieval? I've heard pink is one of the best colors for ease of finding....but I'm not man enough to head to the range in pink yet.

Looks like a fun weekend! Did you try hunting mid-day at all? Only deer I saw Wednesday were moving mid day.
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPappa View Post
    How well do Heidi's pink fletchings show up in the grass and such for retrieval? I've heard pink is one of the best colors for ease of finding....but I'm not man enough to head to the range in pink yet.

Looks like a fun weekend! Did you try hunting mid-day at all? Only deer I saw Wednesday were moving mid day.
    No, no midday hunting. I saw a doe out in a field around 12:30 when we went to lunch on Sunday. Didn't think too much about it. It was so warm that the though of hunting was not too enticing.

Pink fletching do show up VERY nice. But I can't do pink either so I just go with all white.

Kudos to a man that can do pink fletchings, he is better than I.

Awsome pic's ...
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 , LimbDriver ProV , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt AM 32 , Drop Zone , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt Havoc -Tec , Drop Zone , Extreme RT900 , V.A.P. 1 Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    U.S. Army 1981 - 1989

Nice pics Kipp, looks like a fun time, even though hunting was slow.

PSE DNA
    Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg
    Carter Hammer
    Trophy Taker Smackdown

Bump for those that want to read about our misery.

thats a very nice story kip. i have a friend who is a wildlife bioligist out of havana. he is taking me on a tour of the grigsby and site m. i'll find out the scoop on some better spots at jepc and pass them along, in a pm of course.......

great pics
    Trophypursuit. com

Quote Originally Posted by adowns99 View Post
    thats a very nice story kip. i have a friend who is a wildlife bioligist out of havana. he is taking me on a tour of the grigsby and site m. i'll find out the scoop on some better spots at jepc and pass them along, in a pm of course.......
    Thanks Adam!

When the crops get out....if they get out...things will change. Its getting late. I was reading in my farmweek yesterday that corn is just not drying out like it should be. Where pushin Nov. and there are still 1000s of acres standing.

Great story and pictures.I've hunted site M before.Large area,lots of access with all of the horse trails.The locals claimed it was better hunting before they cut all of the roads and trails.We killed a couple of does,but the rutt action was dead .We were there the last of OCT. thru the first week of November.The temps were in the 80's.

Cool report....small world. I was sitting at that table in those pictures eating dinner for 3 nights in a row just a few days prior to those pictures being taken. I'm looking forward to spending some time on JEPC during the rut. I hope the hunting and weather are good....at the very least it is a beautiful place with neat scenery, lots of wildlife, and a better deer population than anything we have on public land in Bama. Can't wait!

Forgot one thing.....there are no deer where you guy's fingers are pointing (lol!).

Did you guys pay a visit to the neighbor's lab puppy? He (or she, not sure) and I had some quality time while we were there. The dog would bark like crazy every time I went in the house wanting me to come back out.
    Last edited by WhitetailChaser; October 21st, 2008 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitetailChaser View Post
    Cool report....small world. I was sitting at that table in those pictures eating dinner for 3 nights in a row just a few days prior to those pictures being taken. I'm looking forward to spending some time on JEPC during the rut. I hope the hunting and weather are good....at the very least it is a beautiful place with neat scenery, lots of wildlife, and a better deer population than anything we have on public land in Bama. Can't wait!

Forgot one thing.....there are no deer where you guy's fingers are pointing (lol!).

Did you guys pay a visit to the neighbor's lab puppy? He (or she, not sure) and I had some quality time while we were there. The dog would bark like crazy every time I went in the house wanting me to come back out.

Wow, that is hillarious. Ya the lab must of thought we were you because he/she barked non-stop! Pretty dog though. Well if there were no deer at that spot then I need to talk to Mike cause he gave us the locations to look at! My only question the whole weekend was how they got the big screen in that house.

All I want to know is.....Who drives a BMW hunting anyway?????lol
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 Snow, QAD Hoyt HDX, Sure Loc LW Max, Fuse Quiver, B-Stinger stabs, GT Pro Hunter arrows

Hey Kipp, Mike here.....
    Great pics and story. Did your buddy find the deer that he hit when he went back for his car? I wish he would have killed one, as I want a picture of a deer strapped across the trunk of a BMW.....lol.... A little side note to the crops at JEPC.... during the big rains this spring that hit the midwest, the corn, and soybeans were all replanted late. The crops being in the fields this late in the season is unique for this year. Not much consolation for you all, now that you are home. Take care and thanks for the referral on our place.

Jepc

Great post and pics!!!

Quick question

You mention hunting clover and crops and even show a picture along a field. Does IL allow planting on their public land, or are you hunting edges that border private property? Just wondering since there are very few crops where I hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Daddy View Post
    All I want to know is.....Who drives a BMW hunting anyway?????lol
    Ya I know! Blake is in pilot school at SIU Carbondale so he commutes a lot back and forth from S. IL to Peoria. He used to have a full size 1500 Chevy but had to sell it for the gas mileage. You should see him cruising around JEPC with his BMW stuffed full of camo, bow case, and climber. It was a sight!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfiredog111 View Post
    Hey Kipp, Mike here.....
    Great pics and story. Did your buddy find the deer that he hit when he went back for his car? I wish he would have killed one, as I want a picture of a deer strapped across the trunk of a BMW.....lol.... A little side note to the crops at JEPC.... during the big rains this spring that hit the midwest, the corn, and soybeans were all replanted late. The crops being in the fields this late in the season is unique for this year. Not much consolation for you all, now that you are home. Take care and thanks for the referral on our place.
    It was so dark when he hit the buck that we couldn't hardly see. He had to take a trailer back down to the park the next day to haul the car back and he was going to look for him then. Hopefully he found him. I hate seeing deer killed by cars. Blake said he was hurt bad and was limping really hard away from the road. Blake said the buck flew about 30 feet when he hit him!

Quote Originally Posted by buckslayerII View Post
    You mention hunting clover and crops and even show a picture along a field. Does IL allow planting on their public land, or are you hunting edges that border private property? Just wondering since there are very few crops where I hunt.
    The DNR leases rights to plant crops on the parks like JEPC. The DNR used to require that the farms plant clover over beans every year but now they just do it randomly. I have never seen crops in the fields this late in the year, just a bad year for both hunters and farmers.

Updates with pics of Blakes BMW. Ouch!

That's a bummer for sure but it really doesn't look that bad compared to what it could have been. I'm sure it's still $10k in damage though.....glad everyone was alright!
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!