Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the strangest, most unexplainable thing you've seen in the woods?

What's the strangest, most unexplainable thing you've seen in the woods?

We've all seen the proverbial s*** happen. Tell your story.

Last edited by ~Austin~; October 21st, 2008 at 10:44 PM.

Fighting Moles

Didn't see it and I don't know if i believe it, but my future mother-in-law said she had 2 moles fighting below her treestand. The thing is she really knows her **** when it comes to animals. Good eye sight and was only 10 feet off the ground. Craziest thing I ever heard! HAHA!!!
    Aim small. Shoot BIG!

Bigfoot! It's true.
    “I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow”. Fred Bear

Had something strange happen tonight but definately explainable. I was sitting in my stand tonight and about 45 minutes later I started to hear a roar sound behind me. No big deal I thought, just figured it was a farmer working in a nearby field with machinery. Well the "roar" started getting closer to me. I started to wonder what could be making this noise. It kept getting closer and louder. I finally looked over my shoulder and there it was. A frickin hot air balloon right over the tree tops only 80 yards away. Thank god it was that. I thought something was going to attack me. Wish I had my camera. I could see the people in it plain as day. Twenty minutes later something was coming in the complete opposite direction. Sounded like a loud 4 wheeler. It kept getting louder and closer also. Finally it showed. A helicopter. Unbeilvable.

OK, I'll play. I have seen two strange unexplainable things. One I'll share and one I'll keep to myself.

One night I was fly fishing, wading on a river in East Tennessee where I used to live. It was dark. I heard this sound coming through the woods about head height and crashing through the trees FAST. When I say fast I mean like missle fast. It was making a racket and really moving fast. It stopped about 80 yards away from me. I left the scene post haste. I thought about going back in the daylight to see what I could see but never did.

Hesitant to post this but what the heck...

Eastern Washington, elk hunting with several other members from this fine site. About 4-5PM, still a couple hours before dark, sitting in a tree stand, and I hear something behind the stand 150 yards or so. Get turned around and ready, and it goes silent. I watch for 4-5 minutes and nothing. So I turn back around and sit down again, a few mintues later I hear something come flying in at me, no kidding..... hits the tree just below the stand (very hard) and bounces off and hits the ground. Now this is a huge rock, not the big pine cones the squirrels out here like to drop on you either. Scared the bejeezus out of me, and nope it wasn't any of my hunting partners messing around. I stuck it out till almost dark and nothing more happened.
    Last edited by rsarns; October 21st, 2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling errors..
    I am not Trad, I just like shooting recurves and longbows.

Quote Originally Posted by kchopper View Post
    Had something strange happen tonight but definately explainable. I was sitting in my stand tonight and about 45 minutes later I started to hear a roar sound behind me. No big deal I thought, just figured it was a farmer working in a nearby field with machinery. Well the "roar" started getting closer to me. I started to wonder what could be making this noise. It kept getting closer and louder. I finally looked over my shoulder and there it was. A frickin hot air balloon right over the tree tops only 80 yards away. Thank god it was that. I thought something was going to attack me. Wish I had my camera. I could see the people in it plain as day. Twenty minutes later something was coming in the complete opposite direction. Sounded like a loud 4 wheeler. It kept getting louder and closer also. Finally it showed. A helicopter. Unbeilvable.
    Did the hot air balloon crash immediately or spin around erratically before exploding like the hindenburg after you "raged" it?

Holy crap? im not crazy? I have had rocks thrown at me and im talking big rocks flying through tree tops at me while camping and hunting. Had friends with me who witnessed it. And let me tell you the spot light and auto .270win didnt prevent it from happening again that night. Once while walking down a steep ridge in that area turkey hunting my buddy was up front and i saw the rock come over my head and almost hit him! I charge up the ridge with the trusty 12ga and see absolutely NOTHING!!!!!!!!! wth? needless to say we dont hunt there much anymore.

Where do you think the rocks came from?

One night in my stand, this guy in a suit and a briefcase walked right on by. not really but that would be funny. And some people do belive in Sasquatch and stay out of there rock throwing territory.

My first thought was one of my friends messing with me, but it wasn't.... so maybe a anti-hunter trying to freak out a hunter 60 miles in the mountains? Needless to say it worked for an hour or so, don't believe in Bigfoot, but the weirdos in the world "Blair Witch Project"? What didn't help was I immediately thought of the show I had just seen on Bigfoot that I laughed at, had bigfoot throwing rocks.... I laughed at that show but then again????
    I am not Trad, I just like shooting recurves and longbows.

How about you Austin? What's your strange story?

Two guys salmon fishing with .22's in a closed stream 50 yards from my ground blind.

Alright I have one but this happened to a friend of mine this weekend. I went goose hunting b/c it was opening day and my buddy went deer hunting . Well I received a phone call from at 10:00 and he was irrate.

Well it turns out that someone trespassed on the property we hunt and then proceded to undress and take pictures of himself in a black g-string right next to the grain silo which is about 150yds. from my buddies stand.

So he (my buddy) came down mainly b/c he could not stand seeing this anymore and walked up on this guy and freaked the ever loving daylights out of the exhibitionist. After my buddy talked to him and told him that he trespassing the man told him that he never knew that people hunted there and that he did this all the time.

Amazing we never saw this guy before but I guess that was a blessing.

True story it happened last Saturday
    Athens Factory Staff
    Dead Center Archery Factory Staff
    If it is brown it's down. I love animals they're delicious- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by DeerslayinSOB View Post
    Alright I have one but this happened to a friend of mine this weekend. I went goose hunting b/c it was opening day and my buddy went deer hunting . Well I received a phone call from at 10:00 and he was irrate.

Well it turns out that someone trespassed on the property we hunt and then proceded to undress and take pictures of himself in a black g-string right next to the grain silo which is about 150yds. from my buddies stand.

So he (my buddy) came down mainly b/c he could not stand seeing this anymore and walked up on this guy and freaked the ever loving daylights out of the exhibitionist. After my buddy talked to him and told him that he trespassing the man told him that he never knew that people hunted there and that he did this all the time.

Amazing we never saw this guy before but I guess that was a blessing.

True story it happened last Saturday
    Tell your buddy that I'm sorry about tis bad luck.....<---that would have been me if I saw some guy in a g-string in the woods.

Allright I got one...although this happened to me while I was fishing. I always feel stupid telling this, but it's the gospel truth.

Three years ago on a pitch black night in late March, right at the beginning of the crappie spawn, I was sitting on the bank casting jigs and dragging them back through a weed bed. Thirty or so yards to my right was the edge of the woods. Well, I was just sitting there fishing and enjoying the crisp night when I heard a stick crack back the thicket. I wasn't scared (yet), but it certainly got my attention. I continued fishing until I heard a couple more foot falls. At this point I reeled in my line, stood still and listened. It was just one or two steps at a time at first, then they became measured and continuous as if whatever it was had committed to its path and was coming to me. Now I'm past just paying attention to being all the way scared. When whatever it was got to what I could estimate was just about the edge of the thicket, I charged at it with arms raised and waiving and hollerin like a wild Indian and whatever it was took off and jumped in the lake! Satisfied with my own safety restored, I retreated to the truck. To this day I don't know what it was. Best I can guess I'd say it was coyote, a deer, a beaver, or a redneck. All I know is we both scared the **** out of each other and I have found other places to fish .

Oh I've got a list. The first thing that popped into my head was the time I watched two does jacking each others jaws. Hair was flying and it was furious while it lasted. I was driving a logging road when a doe and a forked horn buck came down an embankment onto the road in front of me. I slowed down a bit, then things got weird. Another doe came down after them but she was up on her hind legs all the way down the embankment. The first does reared up as soon as the second doe hit the road and they began going at it. At this time I'm frantically trying to get my camera out and focused. I wasn't fast enough. It ended almost as fast as it began. It was business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Moses View Post
    Allright I got one...although this happened to me while I was fishing. I always feel stupid telling this, but it's the gospel truth.

Three years ago on a pitch black night in late March, right at the beginning of the crappie spawn, I was sitting on the bank casting jigs and dragging them back through a weed bed. Thirty or so yards to my right was the edge of the woods. Well, I was just sitting there fishing and enjoying the crisp night when I heard a stick crack back the thicket. I wasn't scared (yet), but it certainly got my attention. I continued fishing until I heard a couple more foot falls. At this point I reeled in my line, stood still and listened. It was just one or two steps at a time at first, then they became measured and continuous as if whatever it was had committed to its path and was coming to me. Now I'm past just paying attention to being all the way scared. When whatever it was got to what I could estimate was just about the edge of the thicket, I charged at it with arms raised and waiving and hollerin like a wild Indian and whatever it was took off and jumped in the lake! Satisfied with my own safety restored, I retreated to the truck. To this day I don't know what it was. Best I can guess I'd say it was coyote, a deer, a beaver, or a redneck. All I know is we both scared the **** out of each other and I have found other places to fish .

Thanks, I needed that.

A guy hunting with a Bowtech.

Seriously.

Isn't that strange?

And how could you ever explain that?
    Registered killer of elk, deer, antelope and turkeys

How far is 50 yards where you live?

ttt

No idea about them rocks. Good sized and flew out of the thicket never saw what did it but one heck of a DA cuz if I could have seen it or who the .270 prolly would have cut loose. Whatever it was needs to be in the nfl!!! Then at times Ive hunted there with no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mark j View Post
    A guy hunting with a Bowtech.

Seriously.

Isn't that strange?

And how could you ever explain that?
    you just had to go there, didn't you. well i dont have a story i cant explian, but my first time out hunting i was out way to early, coundn't sleep, me and my friend got out to our spot, and as soon as we settle in, we here what turned out to be a deer snort at us, again this is my first time hunting and we were in bear country to boot, and it scared the liven **** out of me, and it kept on snorting at us for about 15 minutes, i was never so happy to see the sunrise in my life. like i said i can explian it now, but at the moment i was scared ****less.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, body thoroughly used up and worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
    My Setup: Hoyt Rampage XT,Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg It,QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD,Tight Spot Quiver,14oz B-Stinger Stabilizer,Easton FMJs 300's,Blazer Vanes,100 Grain Slick Trick Magnum

When I first started hunting I was out one night and it was starting to get dark. Just as I was getting ready to pack up I heard what I thought was a dude burping. He kept burping and I was like "man, that guy has some serious gas issues". Later that week I was watching a hunting show on TV and heard a buck grunt for the first time
    PSE Full Throttle 60/30
    Mathews Chillr 70/29.5

I went out for my weekly photo session next to this old silo. I had just got stripped down to my black g-string when this jerk in camo comes up and makes me go home. Where the hell is a guy supposed to take pics of himself anymore?????
    Snoopy.
    Put down the rifle and step away from the pickup! Its time to hunt!!

http://randolphdj.smugmug.com/
    http://www.camospace.com/user/djrandolph/
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I went out for my weekly photo session next to this old silo. I had just got stripped down to my black g-string when this jerk in camo comes up and makes me go home. Where the hell is a guy supposed to take pics of himself anymore?????

funny...funny....funny

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast