Thread: warmest gloves for bow hunting

warmest gloves for bow hunting

I am having trouble with cold hands, this Oct. has been colder than most around 25 to 30 degrees F. Are there any warm gloves that you can still work the release with? I use a Winn glove release.

Thanks

I use a handwarmer that goes around your waist. They will keep your hands as warm or warmer than most gloves and when you need to shoot it wont affect your anchoring or shot...Ghost
    My brother walked on water...
    The Rack Pack

I usually wear a light weight glove and add a disposable hand warmer to the pockets on my jacket. This seems to keep my hands from freezing. I also use the hand warmer muff that goes around your waist.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCamoGhost View Post
    I use a handwarmer that goes around your waist. They will keep your hands as warm or warmer than most gloves and when you need to shoot it wont affect your anchoring or shot...Ghost

I agree 100%! Even if its below freezing I don't wear gloves. I use the Hunter Safety System hand warmer around the waist and put some hand warmers in them and my hands never get cold, then like said above, when you need to shoot you don't have to worry about the bulk with gloves. I keep a pair of gloves on me so when I walk in cold temps.
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter www.athensarchery.com
    2012 Athens Recluse
    TRU Ball Staff Shooter
    Vendetta Stablizers CE Maxima Hunter 350 Arrows

I asked the same question last week. As was suggested I ended up getting a hand muff, it has an inner pocket for Hot Hands. I'm hoping to try it out this weekend, I think it will work well ...
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Sine Missione

I like to wear mechanix quick fit gloves (no velcro). they are warm and allow great movement. I wear them to keep the bugs off early season and into late season when its cold.

Muf

Yep, I use this set up as well. I also throw a hot hands pocket warmer in there on the cold mornings. Sometimes two of em' My hands NEVER get cold. Just slip your hands out when you want to shoot, rattle, call or whatever.
    Mathews Mafia

I go afield with great aspirations of finding my quarry, and always return with a sense of having found myself.

Under Armour makes a heavy fleece glove. Couple that with a hot pocket hand warmer and I'm good to go in the coldest of weather.
    Before the Internet, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.

Hand muff is the only way to go. Rarely do I even need chemical packets with it.

I just purchased the HSS hand muff and it has enough pockets/storage space that I don't even need to carry a fanny pack anymore.

I will say though that a very thin glove for your bow hand is nice - holding onto a really cold grip bare handed for very long can be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    Under Armour makes a heavy fleece glove. Couple that with a hot pocket hand warmer and I'm good to go in the coldest of weather.
    I wear the Under Armour mitten version of this and when I see a deer I just flip up the finger portion and I have use of all my fingers. It has a magnet so it's quiet unlike the velcro ones. I practice with them on so the extra bulk of something on my hand doesn't bother me much.
    2008 Allegiance

if youre like me and the temp is not what gets ya...its the wet hands!!

I put a pair of surgical gloves underneath my other gloves. they are very thin and wont allow the moisture to penetrate when wet

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWyld View Post
    Yep, I use this set up as well. I also throw a hot hands pocket warmer in there on the cold mornings. Sometimes two of em' My hands NEVER get cold. Just slip your hands out when you want to shoot, rattle, call or whatever.
    The only way to go.
    Van Handle
    http://www.vanhandle.com
    DEATH GRIP The Deadliest Grip in the Woods
    www.bungeeblind.com BUNGEE BLIND It's That Simple. Its That Light.
    Pro-Tune, Stop Guessing

Also got the HSS Hand muff and with some hot hands or hand warmers it might be the ticket. Typically, I wear a left hand glove always, thin during warmer weather, thicker styles for colder. Sitka makes a great pair of gloves, possibly called Celsius. Favorite pair is Mossy Oak apparel's shooting glove. you can wear these comfortably with a release but during wet days and below temps best to bring some back up or another pair. I also almost never wear a glove on my right hand, with the exception of the shooters glove, but still rarely. Even here in MN when temps have been 10 degrees and colder. I don't know though, grew up skiing and in the mountains so maybe just conditioned a bit better to colder weather.

for freezin' cold days, Gordini makes a great pair in Mossy Oak camo. Also SWANY. check them out for below temp days. However wearing a release over it could be a problem.

Whitewater's Realtree PRo Series has some nice fleece like material lined gloves/mits they're pretty impressive. Yet to try them though, not sure how they hold in down pours or wet snow.
    Aim LOW

I just wear the brown jersey gloves that you can buy at your local feed store or wal mart for $1 a pair. They are thin enough to shoot with and they arent too heavy to sweat your hands. I keep several pairs in my pack and switch them out if they get wet, scented, etc...

under armour works great at keeping the wind off and keeping your hands warm.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/mens...e-/106608C-375

finger folds back for your trigger as well.

problem with the hand warmer muffs is that if you dont wear gloves with them...once you take your hands out for a shot possibility time is ticking down as to how long you can keep your hands out while waiting on the shot.

happened to me a few years ago...between the time I pulled my bare hands out and the time I got a shot off was about 15 minutes. the deer had me dead to rights and I couldnt do anything but wait it out...it was 19 degrees and the wind was howling.

I got the shot off, but may have been the coldest my hands had ever been.

practice shooting with a decent set of windproof gloves and wear the handwarmer muffs for even more protection from the cold

get the lightest pair of gloves you can and a muff with handwarmers.

Also, sometimes my grunt call gets frozen up and I just stick it in the muff to thaw and it works great.
    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

"Anything in life worth doing, is worth overdoing...Moderation is for cowards." Shane Patton, Lone Survivor

I wear some UA gloves and a handwarmer with Hot Hands in it. Works great.
    Rules for posting in the Classifieds-Please click on the link: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/announ....php?f=8&a=168

Proud Staff Shooter for T.R.U Ball releases, Black Eagle Arrows, ProLine Bow Strings, Bohning Archery, Bling Sling & Onestringer Arrow Wraps

I've been giving some thought to trying "winter golf gloves" though I haven't picked up a pair yet. I do like the hand warmers in the hand muff idea. Might have to try it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWyld View Post
    +2
    The only time I wear gloves is when I'm walking to the stand and back. Since I got the hand muff years ago, I never wear gloves!

Lien2

Layes boys!!
    Silk linner glove first, then a meduim fleece finger glove second, then a Wool finger less mitten glove that folds out of the way!
    You be very comfortable in the coldest weather!
    It's like having a thermos around your hands!
    I have nothing to say.

Nothing works better. You can throw in one of those hand warmers too and you'll have to take your hands out ever so often to cool them down.

Muff and a hand warmer will get it done for sure.

same here, and throw you a couple of chemical hand warmers in there!
    Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Lightbulb Millitary wool

Here is what I did, I went to the army surplus store, bought a few pair of the wool gloves and cut a little slit for my release to go through. (they have O.D. green and black) These have worked great in the past and they were not that expensive. It will also go over your release strap. I would still like to have a heavier pair for when I dont have my release on and am sitting on a cold windy hill spotting for long periods of time.

IMG_2700small.jpg
    IMG_2703small.jpg
    Gage Brock
    Idaho
    www.huntersjourneymagazine.com

I hate to use gloves. I don't feel comfortable shooting with them on. Check out the heated hand muff at the sportsmans guide. Keep your hands nice and tosty and still be ready for the shot with no noise. Everything that I buy for a tree stand hunt has to pass the silence test!