Thread: Archery Targets - made with carpet layers ???

Archery Targets - made with carpet layers ???

anyone made a permanent standing and or portable target using layers of carpeting ??? or possibly use this along with another type material ???

about to have our home re-carpeted within' the next couple weeks & thought I could put the old to some good use...

any ideas on this would be appreciated... some PICS would be great also...

thanks
    BowTech 101st 60/27.5... Cobra DRM... Carter 2-Shot... Gold Tip 3D Pros

Do a search of the DIY sub-forum, lots of threads about carpet targets there, lots of pics too. One design feature worth considering is to run your strips vertically rather than laying them horizontally, this seems to allow the arrow to enter between the layers at its own angle (often slightly downward). Horizontal layers could force the arrow to level out really suddenly so as to penetrate between the layers, putting unnecessary stress on the arrow.

That's the theory anyway, I don't know whether the arrow really does slip in between the layers (in which case this could be an issue) or whether it just sees the target as a homogeneous block of compressed fibrous stuff (in which case the layer direction is irrelevant).
    Last edited by bownarra; November 8th, 2008 at 12:00 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bownarra View Post
    Do a search of the DIY sub-forum, lots of threads about carpet targets there, lots of pics too. One design feature worth considering is to run your strips vertically rather than laying them horizontally, this seems to allow the arrow to enter between the layers at its own angle (often slightly downward). Horizontal layers could force the arrow to level out really suddenly so as to penetrate between the layers, putting unnecessary stress on the arrow.

That's the theory anyway, I don't know whether the arrow really does slip in between the layers (in which case this could be an issue) or whether it just sees the target as a homogeneous block of compressed fibrous stuff (in which case the layer direction is irrelevant).
    That explains some things about 2 archery ranges around here. One has the carpet laying horizontal and I can't stand shooting at those targets. My arrows get alot of carpet resin stuck to the shaft. Probably from the friction. They are also hard to pull from the bails and I have lost a nuber of inserts and tips inside the targets.

The second place just went to carpet from cedar. ( a money thing) They have the carpet layers vertical and the arrows just seem to go between the layers. I do get some residue on the arrows but not near as bad. the arrows also pull out real easy, so far no lost tips and inserts.
    Its changed my mind about carpet targets.

I'll probably build my own now.

this one could work using 2x12's, dimensions (5'x5')

carpet layered outside, stuffed with cloth/old clothes...

maybe get me some nice sized wheels & shes portable as well
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BowTech 101st 60/27.5... Cobra DRM... Carter 2-Shot... Gold Tip 3D Pros

Quote Originally Posted by juntini View Post
    That explains some things about 2 archery ranges around here.
    It could also have something to do with the type of carpet. Rubber-backed carpet may be stickier than the more typical fibre-backed.

You want the hot melt backed not the rubber backed. your house will get you bout 2 18x18 targets if its a big house. We started to do our range but it was way to much work so we ought them 70 of them. you want the layers vertical.
    Last edited by kjwhfsd; November 8th, 2008 at 03:02 AM.
    Vantage Elite spots and dots, alien Z 3D, Warthog Hunting, Savanna long bow fun.
    Victory Pro Staff shooter
    Posten so the spot doesnt move.
    Level 3 community coach

Burlington, Washington ( Northwestern corner of the Evergreen state)

Thumbs up

I have a Carpet Target Bail and I love it!
    I went to a local carpet store and told them what I wanted to do, so they saved me huge amounts of used carpet that they were replacing for their customers.

I have been using the carpet bale for 3 years now with zero problems and no damage to my arrows. Once in a while I have to tighten down on the all thread rods to compress the bale a little tighter, but that is easy to do. My arrows can be pulled using three and almost no effort.

Dick
    2 Canon, 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash

Quote Originally Posted by juntini View Post
    That explains some things about 2 archery ranges around here. One has the carpet laying horizontal and I can't stand shooting at those targets. My arrows get alot of carpet resin stuck to the shaft. Probably from the friction. They are also hard to pull from the bails and I have lost a nuber of inserts and tips inside the targets.

The second place just went to carpet from cedar. ( a money thing) They have the carpet layers vertical and the arrows just seem to go between the layers. I do get some residue on the arrows but not near as bad. the arrows also pull out real easy, so far no lost tips and inserts.
    Its changed my mind about carpet targets.

I'll probably build my own now.
    I believe your comparative experience has more to do with the type of carpet used than the stacking orientation. Some carpeting (the cheaper stuff) is made with dense rubberized adhesive at the base (indoor/outdoor type) rather than cord and burlap weaving used in better quality carpet.

I've shot carpeted targets, some of which mess my arrows up and some that don't. I've looked closely at these targets, all of which were horizontally stacked, and what I saw is what I said above. The stuff that doesn't gum up the arrows is visibly better quality carpet. Thicker with heavier burlap base.

Also, I've noticed that when the weather is really hot for a few days the adhesive on the carpet backing softens and really gums up your arrows.

A much better alternative for a stacked backstop is cardboard. No mess and much easier to pull from.
    Merlin SuperNova
    SureLoc Challenger w/ Impact Cosmic DX Scope.
    Trophy Taker Spring Steel Rest.
    Super-Stix Stabilizer / Easton Platinum Plus Aluminums.
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release.

Cardboard isn't nearly as durable as carpet, and that's using it indoors. Cardboard outdoors is as useless as haybales.

The vertical layers work better for ease of removal. Take a Block target and shoot it horizontal, and then vertical. Then tell me which one pulls easier.
    Dream Season UF/Rytera Alien X/ Hoyt Ultratec VersaCam/CommandCam+
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives
    "Burn the village to the ground. Doo da, Doo da".

Hmm

Going by that one that has the face like the spyder web targets..just thinking... They use Ballistic fabric inside of theirs right???? And then compress it tightly, then cover it with the Kevlar stuff...
    How much would it cost to buy the ballistic materials, and make your own 4x4?????? Anyone know...Curious
    WWW.ProLineBowStrings.COM

513-801-5984 ProLine BowStrings direct line

Accepting dealers at all times :-)

513-502-7038, Personal cell. Text or call. (No Orders will be taken through this line). Please use our direct line for general questions or concerns.

They call it ballistic fiber but in all reality I think it is just polyester batting that they have figured out a way to compress it in there kevlar face.
    2010 Alpha Burner 374 grn, 27.5" 60# = 293 fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Elite 60X NFAA, 300 27X Vegas
    "One of the most amazing abilities of humankind is their ability to override instinctive behavior with learned behavior. Otherwise, there would be a lot of dead bodies at my workplace."

Quote Originally Posted by IDABOW View Post
    Cardboard isn't nearly as durable as carpet, and that's using it indoors. Cardboard outdoors is as useless as haybales.

The vertical layers work better for ease of removal. Take a Block target and shoot it horizontal, and then vertical. Then tell me which one pulls easier.
    I've used haybales (straw is best) for two decades, they do quite nicely outdoors, last about 3-4 years, and cost $5 each to replace. You have to compress them like anything else. Covering them from rain helps immensely.

My one foray into carpet butts didnt work out so well. It had a real low nap, and would bend aluminums if they entered at an angle. With virtually no compression on the carpets, arrows would only enter an inch or so, even some bouncing out off of a 70 lb compound if it hit a backing part of the carpet just right.

I have made the target butts where carpet is spread across a frame front and back, with plastic stuffed on the inside, like was shown above, and those have been very successful.

From the sounds of it, it looks like the success of this target hinges heavily on the type of carpet used.

Here is a picture of a commercially made carpet bale at PSE:

These get a lot of use and are expose to the AZ summer sun. I can't think of any other type that would last as well. Apparantly, they are made from new shag carpet.

Cya!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a full 28 target field range built with carpet target butts. Every one is made similar to Grampa Richards shown in this thread. I think stacked and pressed carpet bail are the best target bails I have ever shot arrows into.
    Easy two finger pulls everytime.
    Durham County Wildlife Club Archery Chairman - Where NFAA Field Archery Lives www.dcwc.net

Martin M4L Team, Scepter 4 Furious X, Razor X Nitrous and Slayer X SE, Stan, Sure loc, Brite site, Winners Choice, Carbon Express

Would not recommend a loop style carpert as it is much tougher to cut and does not have the loft that a shag carpet does. Shag provides more volume with less backing and pulls easier as well as being much easier to cut into the strips needed.

We've made both for our range, went to Pacific Bow Butts for ease but the one carpet target we kept was on the range before the PBBs and is still tight while the PBBS are ready to replace.....

One more thing.... the carpet stands up much better to vandalism from rangegoers who feel a $6 broadhead is more important to retrieve than destroying a $100 bale......
    ...Isms...

"The truth will always show itself as such...."

The world has enough Martyrs... it needs Heros

JApple Heros defininition - "someone willing to live their lives for what they believe in"

I have shot into a target with pressed cardboard before and my darn 2512 arrows would bend slightly right behind where the point would end. Do you think i would have the same problem with a carpet target? I suppose it would depend on how tight i press it right?

can you shoot broadheads into carpet targets?

Quote Originally Posted by tmoran View Post
    can you shoot broadheads into carpet targets?
    One time.
    28 Targets - 112 Arrows
    In my book, the definition of
    "A Good Day"

Not if you want them back! Unless you epoxied the the insert, the carpet will pull the insert right out of the shaft.
    Dream Season UF/Rytera Alien X/ Hoyt Ultratec VersaCam/CommandCam+
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives
    "Burn the village to the ground. Doo da, Doo da".

I think this would be a green type of target so were is the government funding for it

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by grandpawrichard View Post
    I have a Carpet Target Bail and I love it!

(newbie)

Dick
    If you dont mind the inquiry. What are the dimensions of your wall? How deep and how wide are the carpet strips? Would you recomend anything deeper for 80 lb bows? Ohh - Do you recall approximately how many layers you needed to accomplish your masterpiece? Has weight been an issue with your frame as it dampens from rain humidity etc... - Do you tarp it when your not shooting and how did you get it so perfect? Did you trim it after the stack or are you simply meticulous? After three years have you had to rearrange the stack due to damage in certain areas? Have you added additional carpet layers? How many inches of compression were required to initially settle the stack? And since then how many additional inches of re-tightening has been required?

Thanks Alot / RTB2 aka Dick Brown

Thumbs up

I have made 6 of the layered carpet targets this winter for my indoor league and they have been great. I cut the carpet into 12 inches by 48 inches long and stack them horizontally. I make them 4 feet wide by 4 feet high and 12 inches thick. We shot 2 nights a week since the middle of October and the targets are still working just fine with no complaints from any of the shooters. Yes the arrows get a little resin on them at times, but nothing that can't be wiped off. We averaged about 12 to 15 shooters a night in our league. The carpet targets are by far the best you can get for durability and ease of arrow removal. I got all the carpet remnants from local carpet dealers at no charge. Make a frame and use all-thread to compress the carpet and they will do the job.