Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTO50, Vs Sitka Rain Gear

MTO50, Vs Sitka Rain Gear

Which of these rain gear would you say is a better product. I have no idea and I need your guys insight into this topic.

Mathews Chill X
    Vapor Trail Strings,Limb Driver rest
    Mile High Archery

I have owned both and currently own Sitka-MUCH better than the MT050. I NEVER got wet wearing Sitka-but did wearing the MT050.
    Never take life too seriously...nobody gets out alive!!

Quote Originally Posted by No Mercy View Post
    I have owned both and currently own Sitka-MUCH better than the MT050. I NEVER got wet wearing Sitka-but did wearing the MT050.
    how did you get wet with the MT050? i was in a downpour with the cheap cabelas space rain and didnt get a drop on me.

I've had the Mt050 for a long time and I've never gotten wet except from sweat from long, hard hikes in the mountains. I think it is great, but I would like to try the Sitka stuff and compare. Right now the MT050 is the best hunting clothes I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by roobarb View Post
    how did you get wet with the MT050? i was in a downpour with the cheap cabelas space rain and didnt get a drop on me.
    Sitting in a bear stand in the rain-I was soaked after a couple hours with the Mt050 a few years back. I didn't get a drop of rain on me on a caribou hunt in torrential downpours in Quebec this Fall with the Sitka. My $.02 for what it's worth.
    Never take life too seriously...nobody gets out alive!!

I own both and prefer the Sitka. Hands down.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feed back anyone else have any opinion on these coats.
    Mathews Chill X
    Mile High Archery

I should state my reasoning. The MTO50 "wetted out" after an intense downpour and would become considerably heavier and took forever to dry. It also wicked moisture around the cuff and up the sleeve.

The Sitka is lighter, more packable and will not leak. I stood in a 12 hour deluge this season and stayed dry and comfy.

i plan on buyin the full sitka system this year. i consider it an investment in the best system money can by
    '10 pse xforce axe 6, 28.5" spot hog hunter, qad drop away,octane quiver Maxima 250s 375gr TGB tail lights grim reapers @ 291fps.

Thanks guys
    Mathews Chill X
    Mile High Archery

I agree, I have the MTO50 and I do get wet in heavy rain. I am not really
    impressed with it. It's o.k. but not great.

Is the MT050 Gore-Tex or Dry Plus (Cabela's Brand)? I have never been wet, and the MT050 with Gore-Tex is very fast drying even after heavy down pours.
    Jeff Harris
    Prime Shift - Optifade Open/ G5 Optix/ CE Maxima Hunter 250/ G5 Striker 100/ Fletch Hunter Concho

My MT050 suit is pretty good for blocking wind and most wet conditions. I agree that it's not as good as the sitka in driving rain or downright nasty weather. I have also gotten wet in driving rain.

Mine is the GoreTex cabelas suit with scent-lok...
    Last edited by nelsonb6; November 18th, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
    '13 Hoyt pro comp elite xl
    '13 Bowtech Insanity cpx

So would the nimbus be the series to go with or which of the line is the best.
    Mathews Chill X
    Mile High Archery

Has anyone with the Mt 050 ever "renewed" the DWR coating? Nikwax has a spray on, or wash in treatment for that purpose.

My biggest questions are durability, and does the MT 050 have any pit zips? Good ventilation is a must
    Dream Season UF/Rytera Alien X/ Hoyt Ultratec VersaCam/CommandCam+
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives
    "Burn the village to the ground. Doo da, Doo da".

I have both also. The Sitka Nimbus raingear is nice because it keeps you dry no matter what. But it's downfall is that it's very prone to tearing due to it's thinness and it's really loud. Much noiser then MT050. The MT050 on the other hand is very tough and relatively quiet. It's downfall is that it will only keep you dry for so long if it's truely pouring or if the brush is soaked. If I hunted out of a tree stand in the pouring rain I wouldn't use either. I would use a soft plastic material that doesn't breath. Like Space Gear or some Helly Hanson rain suit. It's not like you are going to sweat sitting still. For those that hunt on the ground I would suggest buying both and evaluating the day.

On a side note I just got the Sitka 90% pants and coat. They have a reputation for being relatively waterproof. If that's the case they could very easily be a better choice then the MT050 since they darn near silent.
    Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

Quote Originally Posted by IDABOW View Post
    Has anyone with the Mt 050 ever "renewed" the DWR coating? Nikwax has a spray on, or wash in treatment for that purpose.

My biggest questions are durability, and does the MT 050 have any pit zips? Good ventilation is a must
    No pit zippers like Sitka. But it breaths pretty darn well.
    Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

ttt
    Mathews Chill X
    Mile High Archery

North Dakota - "Where the deer and the antelope roam"

I own both as well and from a "staying dry" standpoint there is NO comparison...The Sitka Gear is much better...You will get soaked in MTO50 in a steady rain...I hunted Caribou in my Sitka Gear this fall and it was incredible...I sat through downpours and rough waters on the boat...At times it was like 5 gallon pails of water being dumped on my head, but I stayed dry...I like the MTO50 for "damp" conditions as it is quieter but ended up soaked on a Newfoundland Caribou hunt in the rain. The Sitka Gear Nimbus is the best hunting rain gear I've tried short of the PVC Plastic suits.
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo

Sitka

Hands-down.
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

I like my MT050 with Gore-Tex. I haven't tried the Sitka gear yet but it sounds like I should invest in some. My son just so happens to wear the same size as me and he needs a new outfit.

I know ya didn't ask but....rivers west anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by phumb View Post
    I know ya didn't ask but....rivers west anyone?
    I was just gonna ask the same thing!! I have the Rivers West Outlaw jacket/bibs and love them

Testing raingear

I live and work in Southeast Alaska so we are always hunting and fishing in extreme wet weather. I have used all the gortex material and find they all push through eventually. SOme gortex will work for one season but then fail. I am interested to see how the sitka gear works for folks. I have been watching to see if sitka or rivers west jumped to the frontline. Here is southeast we need something that breaths and keeps you dry on the outside. I have not found the perfect combination.

I am thinking about moving from MT050 gear to some type of Sitka raingear. My main concern is noise and I don't want a really lightweight jacket that will not hold up to elk hunting in mountains of Colorado. Any suggestions on which Sitka raingear is quiet and sturdy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast