Thread: Interested in Learning the Art of Taxidermy

Interested in Learning the Art of Taxidermy

This is an area that I have always been interested in. What is my best course of action in learning the trade? I have thought about asking the Taxidermist that I go to if I could learn/help her. Any thoughts on that idea? Just kind of throwing the idea around right now, perhaps a new hobby for me.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

I attended a taxidermy school in PA for 6 weeks for mammals, then used videos and books to teach myself the rest. Unless you know the taxidermist very well i doubt he would be much help as he is probally to busy. Go to the one of the many taxidermy sites and get a video. maybe start small with some squirels or european mounts. messing with hides can be tricky at first< you could probally pay the taxidermist to tan your hide but the turn around would probally be slow. Its a fun hobby and could save you alot of cash down the road..

Get some good videos from WASCO and start from there. Rick Carters A-Z is probably the best one out there. Don’t plan on saving any money. You could spend thousands in the process of learning. It’s a fun hobby however.

Join the your states taxidermy organization. This is how I got started. they will usually have classes, for free, that will teach you.

Most taxidermists, if not running a buisnes, are more than willing to share info and most have learned for the school of hard nocks.

I started with birds( a little tougher than big game IMO) and then went to deer. It does not have to be in that order, I just like birds better.

Taxidermy.net has a forum for asking Q's also.

Good luck, don't get frustrated and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith t View Post
    Join the your states taxidermy organization. This is how I got started. they will usually have classes, for free, that will teach you.

Most taxidermists, if not running a buisnes, are more than willing to share info and most have learned for the school of hard nocks.

I started with birds( a little tougher than big game IMO) and then went to deer. It does not have to be in that order, I just like birds better.

Taxidermy.net has a forum for asking Q's also.

Good luck, don't get frustrated and stick with it.
    +1. Start on small critters first. You live closer to Taxi schools than i do. But if you don't want to go that route. get videos through Wasco, Vandykes, Check out Taxidermy.net, and ask your local taxi if he's taking in any apprentices. I started out doing tanning on small critters. before moving up to deer hide mounts. I'd rather screw up a yote hide than a hide for a mount. Just my two cents. Just dive right in, but make sure you have the right tools for beginning.
    Lord, I thank You for the opportunity to go out on the hunt. I thank You for the time alone to think and reflect on life. I thank You for the time with hunting friends, enjoying good fellowship, good stories, meals and drinks. Thank You for the beauty seen during the hunt and for the game taken and shared. I thank You especially for a safe hunt for myself and for all the hunters who share the field. AMEN.