Archery Talk Forum banner

Bow Hunting within city limits? need some stats or former research

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  OHIOBUCK 
#1 ·
I work in a fairly small town of 10,000-12,000 people. We have allowed bowhunting inside city limits ever since i can remember however it is going to be discussed at the next city council meeting and there is one lady who is trying to get it banned. I am looking for information to use in favor of hunting inside city limits. Also one of her arguments is that they can use a crossbow. Any information on the effective range of a crossbow would be appreciated. thanks
Derek

#3 ·
Car vs deer right that is a main point in the argument. The Mayor wasn't going to ban hunting when she complained but now she is going to the board and if they take it to a vote you never know. Her main complaint is the danger of people using archery equipment and/or a crossbow in town.

#4 ·

This is not scientifically based but tell her that with an increasing deer population (if hunting were banned) the rate of predators such as coyotes would also increase! Ask her if she would rather have a bowhunter controlling the population or a pack of coyotes? ha

#5 ·
idea...

Say the board is considering a no hunting policy. If worst comes to worse maybe you could convince the board to implement a "hunting from an elevated position" clause. The chances of someone shooting at a deer at ground level and having a stray arrow is far more likely than from an elevated position shooting at a downward angle.

#6 ·
Here in Iowa, there are a few cities that conduct urban hunts to curb the deer population. Des Moines and Waterloo are noted examples where urban hunting has been met with resistence, but the safety records and impact on population have been well documented. i would contact the Iowa DNR for more specifics.

#8 ·
Our city has a city hunt.......have to take a hunter's safty course and put your liscence # on every arrow.

City deer destroy $1000's worth of personal property every year. Trees.......bushes..........flower gardens.........gardens.........yards........golf courses......Cars.....etc.

They can also attract unwanted preditor's to the city, like coyotes, wolves, and mtn lions, for an easy meal.

As far as the range of a crossbow, i would think it would be about the same as a modern compound bow. The speeds arn't that much different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.