a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: What are some basic archery strength workouts

What are some basic archery strength workouts

Just like the title says. I am looking for something that I can do each morning that might take like 10 minutes or so. Not looking for any full all out workout. Just something that I can do each and every morning and maybe evening before bed that will help strengthen muscles for archery. I understand I will not be getting something that will allow me to pull back all kinds of extra weight or anything. Just want to maintain my current strength and maybe even in 10 months when the season opens my current 65 pounds will seem a little lighter. If it helps I am 43.

'12 Carbon Matrix RKT Bone Collector
    '11 Carbon Matrix Plus Blackout Bone Collector w/Z3 conversion

2nd try to post

if you've got 10 minutes and archery is all about pulling then how about chin ups? Clarence Bass and Pavel Tsatsouline have some great routines try this one called Pavel's Ladder, it won't take long

http://www.cbass.com/Pavel'sLadders.htm

here's a program, very archery specific...try it to and tell us what you think

http://www.kslinternationalarchery.c...SPTs/SPTs.html

Thanks I will read up on those. I am thinking about setting up a check in thread on here for everyone to put pressure on each other to keep at a program even if it is just 10 minutes a day a few times a week. Thinking if we are accountable to each other we may do it more.
    '12 Carbon Matrix RKT Bone Collector
    '11 Carbon Matrix Plus Blackout Bone Collector w/Z3 conversion

Workout

I found that good old push-ups and pull-ups help me as much as anything.

I started shooting bow 3 years ago and could barely pull 45lbs back, and I was 15 and played football. Pulling a bow back uses muscles that football work outs didnt touch for me. I started shooting atleast 20 arrows a day, turning the lbs up 2-4lbs every month. I can now draw and hold my diamond for 2 minutes at full draw and its on 72lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wihunter402 View Post
    Just like the title says. I am looking for something that I can do each morning that might take like 10 minutes or so. Not looking for any full all out workout. Just something that I can do each and every morning and maybe evening before bed that will help strengthen muscles for archery. I understand I will not be getting something that will allow me to pull back all kinds of extra weight or anything. Just want to maintain my current strength and maybe even in 10 months when the season opens my current 65 pounds will seem a little lighter. If it helps I am 43.
    Try to stay away from doing only pulling exercises. Sure, that's what you use (mostly) for archery, but you'll end up with muscle imbalances that can lead to injury. Push ups and pull ups are a great place to start. If you have some dumbbells, you can also do one-arm rows (with both arms, of course, and not just the one you use to draw your bow). You also use your core muscles to steady yourself during and after the draw, so include a few crunches and planks/birddogs for your ab and lower back muscles. For the "ultimate" archery workout, I would also include some shoulder exercises to build up strength and endurance in your anterior deltoids (the ones in front). For that, do front raises with light dumbbells.

I'd suggest giving yourself 15-20 minutes every other day and doing the following:

Push-ups: 3 sets of as many as you can do, with one minute rest between sets

Pull-ups: 3 sets of as many as you can do, with one minute rest between sets. For variety switch your grip from underhanded (works more of the biceps and middle lats) to overhanded (works upper lats) from time to time.

One-arm row: 3 sets of 10-12 reps, with 90 seconds rest between sets

Dumbbell Front Raise: 3 sets of 10-12 reps, with 90 seconds rest between sets

Crunches: 3 sets of 12-15 reps, with one minute rest between sets

Plank or Birddog: 3 sets, holding for 30-60 seconds each set (depending on your own strength level), and one minute rest between sets

Hope this helps!

muscles used during archery

You use a few main muscles during the shot...

Rhomboid (the triangular shaped muscle on the top of your shoulder)
    Latissimus Dorci (upper back muscles)
    Trapezius muscles (wrap around back of your shoulders to base of neck)
    Triceps

Exercises to Work Each...

Rhomboid - Military Press, Lateral Shoulder Raises
    Lats - One Armed Rows, Pull-Ups (if you can do them)
    Traps - Shrugs (the rows will also work these muscles to a degree)
    Triceps - Overhead Triceps Extensions, Tricep Kickbacks

But here's the kicker...you will actually gain more benefit if you were to work an anterior muscle and posterior muscle in sequence. The reason for this is that more blood is concentrated into the area, so you'll be a little stronger. So I would also recommend adding some basic bicep curls as well as some basic push-ups to that routine. You should feel a noticable change in how easy it is to draw the bow as well as how steady you'll be able to hold. Good luck.

Push-ups did the trick for me. Have you seen those Perfect Push-up things being sold? They are cheap at Wal-mart and work tremendously. They include a program and DVD that shows a variety of routines that keep you interested and push you to the limits.
    Quest QS33
    Truglo Xtreme, Fuse Carbon Connexion
    "Glorify God...all else is secondary"

Good info for a beginner like me.-Better start getting ready...

Also MAKE sure you stretch as well. You can develop bad problems without stretching.