Thread: Barrel life of the 300 ultra mag

Barrel life of the 300 ultra mag

just wondering what is the average barrel life for this gun. I plan on shooting three boxes to sight it in then maybe another half of level 3 amo to sight it in dead on. In other words how many shots would it take to burn this hauses barrel out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Everson View Post
    just wondering what is the average barrel life for this gun. I plan on shooting three boxes to sight it in then maybe another half of level 3 amo to sight it in dead on. In other words how many shots would it take to burn this hauses barrel out.
    I have never heard of barrel burn out, unless you're using too much charge for the barrel rating.

Keep it clean, pit-free and it will last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by doctariAFC View Post
    I have never heard of barrel burn out, unless you're using too much charge for the barrel rating.

Keep it clean, pit-free and it will last a lifetime.
    if you keep the barrel clean you should get at least 6000-15000 shots, its hard to wear a bolt action barrel if the barrel is clean and you dont let the barrel heat up to much

Thats what I thought

I was just reading somewere were they said the heavy magnums barrals will burn out alot faster. How many shots should I take when sighting in. 3 then clean the barral. Then let the barral cool. How long does it take for a barrel to cool after three shots. This will be a 300 ultra mag.

i probably

won't shoot 15000 shots for the rest of my life. Maybe 8-9000 shots. Thats good to know.

I was just reading somewere were they said the heavy magnums barrals will burn out alot faster. How many shots should I take when sighting in. 3 then clean the barral. Then let the barral cool. How long does it take for a barrel to cool after three shots. This will be a 300 ultra mag.
    well my 270 wsm is a real walker so i dont take any more then 3 shots and wait. you shouldnt have to clean your barrel for about 50 shots or just clean it at the end of the day. the reason why mags burn barrels is because they heat the barrel up quicker, which makes the metal softer, and the mag put alot of powder in a small tube, which when the bullet passes by can act like a abrasive, which is good though, it smoothes your barrel out at first and makes your gun more accurate, thats why barrels need to be broken in

You would have to shoot that thing all the time to burn the barrel out. Why 3 boxes of shells to sight it in? I have never used more than 10 shells to get one of mine perfect. Not bashing, just wondering.

For belted mags, just shot 3 shots and let it cool. My 7mm mag gets hot after 3, so I just let it cool and then shoot 3 more. There are so many different views of shooting in a barrel. If you went to a rifle shooters forum, they may give some different ideas of trying it. Best one I heard is 1 shot for 10 shots, cleaning n lubing in between shots. Then 2 shots for 20 shots. Again, cleaning/lubing in between every 2 shots. Next would be 3 rounds for 30 shots, cleaning/lubing again. You also have to let the barrel cool in between shots. Sounds good, but I ain't got all day to do this. I guess you could do it over a period of time. I never heard it has to be done all at once.

won't shoot 15000 shots for the rest of my life. Maybe 8-9000 shots. Thats good to know.
    Shooting 9000 shots over the course of your life, x 2$ a round for a total of 18,000$. The cost of a new barrel, or rifle for that matter, becomes chump change

You wont get nearly 15,000 rounds of it, but likely will do 5 or 6k before you see a big dropoff in accuracy and some modrate throat errosion. The average hunting rifle though likely sees less than 500 rounds it's entire life.
    Ashland County Ohio

had to re-barrel my rem cdl after about 2000-2500 replaced it with a lija with a little different conture. i don't think your going to see barrel life last much more than 3k. if you want a 300 but want more life look at a 300 win.
    miller highlife pro-staff

I would do a good break in such as 1 round and clean for 10 rounds then 2 rounds and clean for 10 rounds the 5 rounds and clean for the next 40 rounds to some this may seem like over kill but I broke in my CZ 527 in .17 Rem this way and I still clean it after every 20 call me strange but I have alot of rounds through that gun with out even a hickup and .17 are notorious for burning barrels but I guess that what you get with a muzzel velocity of over 4000 FPS
    Last edited by PSEloyal; November 26th, 2008 at 07:26 PM.

I think the whole discussion rather foolish but............

Your running a .300 Ultra..........you don't get anything for free.

Shoot it, when it starts degrading, set the barrel back, shoot it until it starts going to heck again, then rebarrel.

I think it was Tubbs who talked about the advantages of chrome moly vs stainless is barrel life/set back ability.....don't remember where the info was, but if anybody should know, he'd be the dude.

IIRC stainless lasts longer initially, but CM offered the ability for better setback when the time came.

It is not uncommon for the accuracy to start dropping off on a Win.300 after less than 1000 shots if using full power loads. The type of powder used has a lot to do with throat and barrel erosion. Slower powders do not burn completely in the cartridge and in effect sandblast the throat and rifling. Ball powders are worse than extruded powders.A 300 Ultra mag is going to be worse than a Win. 300. A while back I was talking with someone on another forum who said that his Weatherby .30-378 was no longer competitive after 300 shots.
    Recovering Golf Addict

my model 700 sendaro shoots sub MOA still at over 3000 rounds. just sayin... lol but that is a heavy barrel with fluting, and not shooting super hot loads just factory reproductions. this gun is a 300 R U M
    '10 pse xforce axe 6, 28.5" spot hog hunter, qad drop away,octane quiver Maxima 250s 375gr TGB tail lights grim reapers @ 291fps.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwilder3 View Post
    It is not uncommon for the accuracy to start dropping off on a Win.300 after less than 1000 shots if using full power loads. The type of powder used has a lot to do with throat and barrel erosion. Slower powders do not burn completely in the cartridge and in effect sandblast the throat and rifling. Ball powders are worse than extruded powders.A 300 Ultra mag is going to be worse than a Win. 300. A while back I was talking with someone on another forum who said that his Weatherby .30-378 was no longer competitive after 300 shots.
    Interesting!

I have a Sako 75 Stainless Hunter in 300 RUM. It only took me about 5 shots to get it sighted in. I don't compete with it, so I usually only shoot about 3-5 shots prior to hunting to make sure it is still sighted. I've had the rifle 7 years and probably only have about 40 rounds through it. The rifle and barrel will definitely outlive me and I do not plan on selling it. I love this rifle. I also thought about the Weatherby .30-378, but ammo options are scarce. That is definately a reloader's caliber.
    '08 Hoyt Seven37 #64 @ 31.5" GT Ultralite Pro X-Cutter(368gr @ 280 fps)/SHOOTING FOAM
    '08 PSE Dream Season #68 @ 30.5" Easton FMJ (508gr @ 287 fps= 92 ft.lbs. of KE)/HEMORRHAGIC SHOCK
    '08 Hoyt Ultra Elite/Inferno Red/Sure-Loc/Posten/SPOTS

i think it would be best if someone were to actually ask someone from remington, they prolly know exactly how long the barrels last and how to make them last longer. but i do know that stainless steel from any manufacturer wears out quicker in sub 0 f and doesnt do well in the cold

Please post how you know the SS will wear out faster at sub zero temp.

If it's bore sighted correctly, no rifle should take more than 5 shots to sight it in, jmo.
    If you're just going to hunt with it and shoot occasionally, the barrel should last your lifetime.
    Bowman Accu-Riser I and II...Greatest built American bows of all time
    Hamskea Versa Rest, Hogg Father sight, Paridigm stabilizer.
    Scorpyd Crossbows... nothing else compares
    Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars...simply superb