a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Swan Lake Managed Deer Hunt in MISSOURI

Swan Lake Managed Deer Hunt in MISSOURI

Hey guys, drew out for the Swan Lake hunt next Friday and it is suppose to be a cold one!! I have been trying to draw for this hunt for 9 years and we finally drew it. I was wondering if any of you guys have hunted this before or if any of you have drawn this year, do you have any words of wisdom for the hunt. Any and all info will greatly be appreciated.

Mossy Oak Pro Staff, VaporTrail Pro Staff, Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter, Paradigm Archery Pride Staff, Tru Ball Shooting Staff,

Swan Lake

I grew up near S.W and drew a hunt about 10 yrs ago. Here's what I remember.
    If you can hunt on the west side of the lake, do it. Better chances.
    Get in early and hunt funnels, brush lines, etc. Claim your spot. People will be pushing deer in bunches.
    Set up to see as large of an area as you can.
    Activity drops way down after the first eight hours.
    Quality bucks are there but very rarely do they get tagged according to reserve personnel. The hunt was managed for population control as promary goal. The quality deer areas were somewhat protected.
    It's been a long time since I was there and the rules/regs have changed for sure.
    From what I know and what I here from my friends that hunt the perimeters, the western side is where you want to be. I hope it's open for your hunt.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by nomomomo View Post
    I grew up near S.W and drew a hunt about 10 yrs ago. Here's what I remember.
    If you can hunt on the west side of the lake, do it. Better chances.
    Get in early and hunt funnels, brush lines, etc. Claim your spot. People will be pushing deer in bunches.
    Set up to see as large of an area as you can.
    Activity drops way down after the first eight hours.
    Quality bucks are there but very rarely do they get tagged according to reserve personnel. The hunt was managed for population control as promary goal. The quality deer areas were somewhat protected.
    It's been a long time since I was there and the rules/regs have changed for sure.
    From what I know and what I here from my friends that hunt the perimeters, the western side is where you want to be. I hope it's open for your hunt.
    Good Luck.
    We drew out for the west side so this is good news!! Thanks, anyone else?
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff, VaporTrail Pro Staff, Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter, Paradigm Archery Pride Staff, Tru Ball Shooting Staff,

ttt

ttt

Does that hunt start on Friday the12yh or Sat the 13th?

Quote Originally Posted by scottx16 View Post
    Does that hunt start on Friday the12yh or Sat the 13th?
    You have to attend a meeting on Friday and the actual hunt starts on Sat.

Hey congrats on being drawn! I live 10 miles from swan lake and there are diffently good dear there. Like he said most of the big ones are protected. But you still have one hell of a hunting spot. My wifes uncle actually guides when they do they handicap hunt each year. He has a ball watching the deer and photgraphing the hunt. Also a guy I played baseball with has land across the road from the reserve and he has a buck in baseball pro that scored over 250! Anyway congrats again, ive been putting in for a long time now, just under a 2% chance of being draw. good luck!