a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De cocking a crossbow

De cocking a crossbow

So far the only compound crossbow that I can find that can be decocked without discharging it is the Stryker. Does anyone know of any other compound crossbow that can be decocked using the cocking device.

Thanks
    John

All of them can be done, but with varying degrees of danger.

With rope cocking aids:

Excalibur, Horton, Barnett do not have anti-dry-fire systems, so no problem. Hang on tightly.

Parker, Ten Point need to have an arrow loaded to allow the trigger to disengage, so in order to uncock them you have to have an arrow (or more accurately, a piece of an arrow) in the mechanism. EXTREMELY UNSAFE in the event that something lets go - you get an arrow through the foot. Don't try it on these bows that have the anti-dry-fire mechanisms.

With cranks: Not recommended on any bow, since you have to disengage the ratchet and if your hand slips, bad things will happen.

stryker

Hows about the stryker it says on the description that the crank for cocking the bow can also be used to decock the bow.

Shoot it................

I don't get it,

what is the big deal with just shooting it. Before I get out of my stand I just load a arrow with a field tip, pick out a leaf on the ground and double lung it.

Quote Originally Posted by john5 View Post
    Hows about the stryker it says on the description that the crank for cocking the bow can also be used to decock the bow.
    Yes, the Stryker can be let down with the crank, but the Desert Stryker its like what pofarm says.
    tbailey

"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." Ayn Rand, from the book, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by pofarm View Post
    what is the big deal with just shooting it. Before I get out of my stand I just load a arrow with a field tip, pick out a leaf on the ground and double lung it.
    in the area i live and hunt you would basically destroy an arrow/bolt every time you did this, you can't put a shovel in the ground around here without hitting a rock....

I do it with the Phoenix and Vortex. I've also done it with my 150 Terminator. The piece of arrow (or dowel of same diameter) to deactivate the anti dryfire device needs to be only several inches long (from the string to the device) , I don't consider it a threat to my foot if "something goes wrong." The only bow I know of that one can't do it with is the two-safety Ten Point, which requires 3 hands.
    The problem with just shooting it is that often it's dark at that time. After losing 2 arrows in the grass, I'm prone to let it down. Just not my Cyclone, those short limbs store too much energy. Guess I could use the crank cocker but that IS too much trouble.

shooting to let down

The problem I have with shooting the bow to uncock it is more of a safety issue. First off most of the crossbow hunting I do is in late november and december and temperatures at that time of the year are usually 0-20 degrees faren. which means the ground is frozen, and there is usually a foot or two of snow, so I would either shatter the bolt if it is carbon or bend it if it is aluminum and would probably never find it in the snow (now I usually hunt twice a day every day sometimes, this would be a nuisance having to damage or look for bolts twice a day). Others have also suggested keeping a bag or block in the truck and unload it into that, which is a safety regulation in our area. I have been ticketed by the MNR for having my crossbow cocked while at my truck after a hunt, (the law here states that you cannot possess a loaded weapon which if its cocked its loaded, 50m from any road, which is where I usually park). These are the main reasons I would like to be able to decock the bow without firing, to me it is like having to fire my muzzleloader in order to unload it, it just is'nt pratical.

I carry a small 18" bag target in my truck exclusively for dischargeing my bow. It's light, easy to carry, throw out and shoot. Saves looking for arrows and the hassle of uncocking the bow.
    Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!

Sean McKenty Guest
    I have yet to find a crossbow that couldn't be let down with a rope aid, those without a anti dryfire can be simply let down by hanging on to one side of the rope and pull the trigger then let down even the 225lbs recurve are quite easy. The ones with dryfire features I simply use a piece of tape over the latch and let down as usual, this eliminates the use of an arow to discharge. This will be important for us in Ontario that shoot tournaments as soon you will need to show that it you can discharge the bow without shooting it.

decocking with rope aid

Would you not need to hold both ends of the rope and then press the trigger to let down, how is the pull from full letoff to instant full draw weight. My only experience is with excal. and I have no problem letting down on an exomag using just my hands just like I do with my exocet, but I have full draw weight the moment I pull back on the string and then use my thumb to trigger the bow, and the let down is smooth and safe.

There is a video demonstrating how to do it on the excal site. It can be found at the end of the "Rope Cocking Video" Here is the address http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/dem...category_id=47

I let my Exocet down after every hunt with the cocking rope. Once you have done it you won't do it any other way.

Legal shooting hours for one of the states I hunt end at sunset and a cocked xbow is considered a loaded weapon. I hunt until sunset, uncock the xbow, and then I walk out. The ground here would destroy my arrows and if I used a bag target I would have to end my hunt early to go out to the truck an shoot an arrow.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

i do the same as griz,got a bag in the back of the truck,shoot it ,im done and still have all my arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by john5 View Post
    Would you not need to hold both ends of the rope and then press the trigger to let down, how is the pull from full letoff to instant full draw weight. My only experience is with excal. and I have no problem letting down on an exomag using just my hands just like I do with my exocet, but I have full draw weight the moment I pull back on the string and then use my thumb to trigger the bow, and the let down is smooth and safe.
    I tried that once...I could then be a safe cracker as I had no finger prints left..

A stack of cats should help with firing in rocky areas.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGriz View Post
    I carry a small 18" bag target in my truck exclusively for dischargeing my bow. It's light, easy to carry, throw out and shoot. Saves looking for arrows and the hassle of uncocking the bow.
    good idea!
    2015 PSE Decree (on order soon) HHA Optimizer, Gold Tip Hunters, Grim Reaper Fatal Steel, Axion Stab, Axion Pulse rest , Ridgerunner Sling

Quote Originally Posted by Protecsafari View Post

Just passing through, but this post was worthy of a smile.

When you uncock via rope cocker properly, you are only holding one "T" handle, the other is tight against the hook and rail. The friction of the rope sliding in the groove as the string is let down does a lot toward lessening the required effort. I mistakenly assumed the process would entail the same effort as cocking, and it's no where near that.
    Illigitimus non Carborundum!!!

I picked up a rinehart vital section at a 3d shoot for free this summer. Thats what my Dad uses, small and effective. Oh yeah free also!!

Hey, John5 if the ticket you got for having the crossbow loaded after dark had no bolt in it, I would fight it as it states very clear in the regs that a cocked crossbow with no bolt is not considered loaded. If it is out of the case then he can take issue with that as all archery equipment is considered a firearm under the fish and game act. That means it must be in a case or zippered cover between 1/2 hour after sundown and 1/2 hour before sunrise.

A vertical bow is considered loaded if it has an arrow nocked on the string.

John, I just checked the regs again to be sure and it states........

"A crossbow is considered to be loaded if the bow is cocked and there is a bolt in the crossbow".

This is clear that two things are needed to be considered loaded, cocked with a bolt in it. A crossbow cocked without a bolt is NOT considered loaded under the above language.

Decocking your crossbow

Decocking a Crossbow
    As promised, let me introduce "The Decocker" the first decocking accessory that will allow you to decock without firing a bolt, or dryfiring and damaging your bow. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgMeGC4sKpA
    I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments, thanks guys!

PSE Tac 10 & 15 both can be decocked with the crank
    Strike Zone 350, Hawke XB30, Gold Tip Lazer III, Lumenoks, NAP FOC Broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by Protecsafari View Post
    This guy is ... too funny to lose. LOL Hopefully Hoyt will come out with a crossbow and he'll stick around.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast