Thread: Alaska Homestead Documentary?

Alaska Homestead Documentary?

I saw a movie/documentary about a man who moved to Alaska and homesteaded a place. I believe it was filmed in the 60's or 70's. The movie was also based on a book written by the gentlemen. The man built his own cabin, hunted sheep, moose, caribou. I would like to purchase video as a gift for my dad for Christmas. He would enjoy watching it. I wrote the name down somewhere but can't find it. Thanks

2012 Strother Wrath LH 70# 28.5", Black Gold Acsent, Anchor Sight, B-Stinger, QAD HDX, Tight Spot, Easton ACC 3-71/300, Carter Chocolate Addiction
    460gn @ 269fps=74ft-lbs KE
    Crackers Strings and Cables
    Crackerized

I believe you are talking about Dick Proenneke (sp). Alone in the Wilderness is the title and it has aired numerous times on public broadcasting tv.
    USUALLY THE HUNTERS THAT WERE NEVER ANY GOOD AT HUNTING WILL SHOOT A SPIKE.they just dont know any better and never will amount to anything .......sproulman
    I think meat hunters is another name for "Bad Hunter" or "Low Patience Hunter"....grfox
    Meat hunter=Don't have time/and or patience to hold out for mature buck.....173BC

i would also like to know.i have seen it on public broadcast also.really a good documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by LiteSpeed1 View Post
    I believe you are talking about Dick Proenneke (sp). Alone in the Wilderness is the title and it has aired numerous times on public broadcasting tv.
    Thanks

http://www.dickproenneke.com/
    2012 Strother Wrath LH 70# 28.5", Black Gold Acsent, Anchor Sight, B-Stinger, QAD HDX, Tight Spot, Easton ACC 3-71/300, Carter Chocolate Addiction
    460gn @ 269fps=74ft-lbs KE
    Crackers Strings and Cables
    Crackerized

Not sure if it's related but my favorite movie growing up as a kid was "The Wilderness Family". It was about a family that left the big city to rough it in Alaska. I think it came out in the late 70's/early 80's. I think I still have the movie on VHS:embarra:
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

PBS had it for sale. I've seen it 3 times on PBS. Great program.
    2013 Insanity Black Opps 60lb draw
    PSE Xweave Pro 200s with 100gr T3s

Thanks for the link, I saw it on PBS too, great documentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyHOYT View Post
    Hunting shows have turned a once proud part of our heritage into a contest of inches. No wonder society sees hunting more and more in a negative light.

An incredible story...I agree

I have met a few interesting characters while hunting the islands in Ak.

I've hunted the islands from POW to Kuiu and its still possible to homestead or put a mining claim on some of the prettiest land you have ever seen.

Some of the homesteaders you run into- more than likely- have a checkered past. One guy admits to having multiple outstanding warrants and has been on the run since 1983. Wild west justice still applies in these remote areas and liquor goes along way towards making friends.
    "You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear
    “We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities.” ― Oscar Wilde
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” ― Margaret Mead

One Man's Wilderness.:thumbs_up
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

If you like that you'll love the book The Final Frontiersman.

My favorite line from the book. when asked why he filed the front sight off of his 44 mag bear protection pistol.
    "so it doesn't hurt as much when the bear shoves it in your butt" or something like that
    2008 Bowtech 101st Airbourne
    70lbs/30.5 inches. Viper Predator Pro 2000C. Vaportrail Limbdriver.
    STS rear mount. 18 inB-Stinger. G5 Meta Peep. Gold Tip Expedition Hunter Arrows.
    Vortec Broadheads 100gr 2 1/2 inch cut. Octane One Peice Quiver
    Nick named: The Beast

Really good movie and book. True Alaskan frontiersman. Not as easy as he makes it look either.
    akhunter13,here in Alaska

This thread or one very similar recently renewed my interest in Dick Proenneke. There is a book out More Readings From One Mans Wildrness. It is the actual journals of Mr. Proenneke from 1974 - 1980. The book One Mans Wilderness was a quick read which left me wanting to learn more about this fascinating gent. This book details the actual journals in RLP's own words or as close as I have seen them. In addition it discusses how RLP was not real happy with several aspects of the 1973 book. I will say no more as to not ruin it for anyone interested. It is a great read and highly reccomend this book to interested folks. It is a about 475 pages Edited by John Branson and is published by The National Park Service. I found it on Amazon More Readings From One Mans Wilderness The Journals Of Richard L Proenneke 1974 - 1980.

This is a great film. The craftmanship of his cabin and wood working skills are unbelievable! Deep in every outdoorsman's soul is the yearning to do what he did. Very cool.

Here is a link that tells more about it. http://www.dickproenneke.com/
    Save a cow, buy a tag!

Everybody knows, that the world if full of stupid people.
    But I got the pistols so I'll keep the pesos, yeah that seems fair.

Dick Proeneke was an amzing man. Truly an inspiration to those of us who love the outdoors!

dick proenneke is one of my heros, i own the dvd it i s a awesome movie , you will enjoy it ..

CHECK OUT THIS THREAD I POSTED A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. IT GOT SOME GOOD RESPONSES ON THIS DOCUMENTARY.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=882311
    2009 HOYT ALPHAMAX 32
    I HOOK UP- BECAUSE IM A DADDY

Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for the buck after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You shot a buck. You got a responsibility.' If your buck gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that damn buck!