a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Feather question

Feather question

For anyone who uses feathers, Isthere any differnece in flight with broadheads or feild points between 4 inch 5 inch and 2 inch feathers. Also can anyone notice any differences in noise or drop at father distances. Thanks to all and merry christmas.

Well feathers are going to control a broadhead the best but you will notice some drop at distances because feathers have a lot more drag. I have a bunch of the razor feathers if you would like to try some out.
    Athens Factory Staff
    Dead Center Archery Factory Staff
    If it is brown it's down. I love animals they're delicious- Ted Nugent

ttt

bump

ttt

Quote Originally Posted by texasbowhunter9 View Post
    For anyone who uses feathers, Isthere any differnece in flight with broadheads or feild points between 4 inch 5 inch and 2 inch feathers. Also can anyone notice any differences in noise or drop at father distances. Thanks to all and merry christmas.
    yes there will be a difference between 2, 4, and 5 inch feathers with both feild pts and bh. 5 inch will stabilize the arrow the best with both, but will create the most drag and as a result will have more drop at farther distances. 5" will allow for more forgiveness of poor shots as well as a bow that is slightly out of perfect tune.

4" is a good medium. You will get most of the stabilization of a 5", but with less drag and less drop at longer distances. They will stabilize bh well and will be forgiving.

2" is good for target use. It will be less forgiving, but will not create as much drag. They do not stabilize bh great, but if you bow is in tune they can work.

You will notice a pretty big difference in drop after 30 yards between 4 and 5" feathers and after 40 yards between 3 and 4" feathers. I typically use 4" for about everything except fita type target (outdoor) and field round were I have to shoot 80 yards. Then I use 3". I also fletch them both with a helical.

Here is part of a chart from gateway feathers web site, with size, use and comments. http://www.gatewayfeathers.com/feathers.html

Size Target/3D Hunting Comments:
    1 7/8" Yes/ No Popular outdoor target feather
    2 1/4" Yes/ No Left wing only
    2 1/2" Yes/ No Right wing only
    3" Yes/ Yes Use with mechanical heads for hunting
    4" Yes/ Yes Becoming the standard feather
    5" Yes/ Yes The all purpose feather