Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do mineral attractant blocks work??

Do mineral attractant blocks work??

Never used a salt or mineral block. Do they work? Do they bring deer in or will deer just come to them if they pass by it? thanks! Clay

I have tried different things here, and nothing seems to do much!!! I have spoken with severial people here about it, and they have all had the same experience. The only thing that we have come up with is that we have so much salt in the air and the ground that it does not make much of a difference. JMO

I have used the Deer Cain with great response. They say if the deer are getting enough minerals in their diet they will not touch a block!
    Try peanutbutter or molassas licks. That will draw them in! I read some good things about V-mass to! But remember, my woods are different than yours!
    Alpine Fireball F1

I have had GREAT times with my personal favorite, Mossy oaks Whitetail attractant.... Power is good, so is liquid. Jsut put by deer trail and and pour on ground or dead tree branch. Give afew weeks and the deer will paw it up... Also I am mixing it up this year with some V mass.... It attractes the deer and then gives them some well needed vitamins..... all for a low price. It also smells really good, I cant wait to check back in on the pile of vmass. It should be interestin.... I also would liek to mention the DEER CANE.... same stuff, bascially, the deer will paw it up and eat the stuff up..... later, if you need more info on ANY of these, just PM me and I'll see what i can Do, Later, Josh

I have been using Mineral blocks or salt blocks in areas nearby heavily used trails. I have noticed more activity around Feb through about July. Not very much during the hunting season.

I sent you a PM Taco... Also, i sent an email to the Vmass guy seeing what he is up too... Later, Josh

A couple of years ago, I bought some mineral blocks from Walmart. These things were supposed to be for attracting deer. Well, that sort of thing is illegal in NY so I never used them in a hunting situation. But this winter, I got tired of having them kicking around the basement, so I set them out my the side of the yard. The deer walked right by them all winter long until finally they just completely dissolved. They never even turned toward them out of curiosity or anything. They had an opportunity to access them every day because they were just about 4 feet from a trail out into our yard that they used every day. I would have thought that in the dead of winter, the deer might be craving something like this............Nope!

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the outfit that marketed these things, but I must say that they found at least one sucker.

Doc

Most animals are funny that way... they will only eat what they need....

I took out a salt block 4 years ago and where it was is now a hole about 1 1/2ft down and about 4 feet across, the deer just tore it up and today there is still deer hitting the hole. Tried the deer cain with no results at all and the cain was only about 50 yds from the salt block. Both areas were not along the trails becouse then someone would have found them, they were about 60 feet from the trail and they were put in a area where the wind would blow the scent towards the trail. Salt block yes deer cain NO just becareful to wear some kind of laytex gloves when handling the blocks, and I buried both also.
    https://www.facebook.com/extremebowstrings M4L Team Shooter, www.MartinArchery.com Professional String Maker for Extreme Bowstrings. Visit our website at www.extremebowstrings.com ph 402-750-9621 or e-mail us at ron@extremebowstrings.com A Martin/Rytera PRO Series Dealer, Distributor for Brownell and Bcy products.

GOOD SUCCESS

I've had good success with both the blocks and also the Mineral Drip by Evolved Habitats. This is the easiest to set up. Pour the minerals into the burlap bag and wet thouroughly until it drips into the dirt. Hang 7-8 feet on a branch and evertime it rains the bag gets soaked and drips into the ground. You just hang it and leave it. I've gotten many whitetail bucks on film from my photohunter 35 licking and eating the dirt under the bag. I shot a Pope/Young buck in the vicinity of one of these bags. Actually the first buck in that night got up on his hind legs and started licking the bag. I hung it earlier that April and never went into the area until hunting season. They had obiviously been using the drip all summer long.. They do work. Easy to set up too.

Absolutely they do work!!! It is legal in Tennessee to use salt/mineral licks and the early part of the season (unless white oak acorns or persimmons fall early) is very productive. I have a large mineral lick in my back yard and it looks like a herd of elephants have come through it. However when the weather gets cooler they tend to abandon salt/mineral licks from my experience.

Tennman: So for the Souther bowseason they should be effective? If our winter is as warm as it was last year it should work all year long

I threw a couple of mineral blocks out under my trail cam this past season and did get a couple of pics of deer licking at them. I also tried the molasses, peanut butter, sweet junk and got lots of pictures of racoons! The bottom line was that the mineral blocks were out from August until they disolved in about mid December and I got two pictures of deer licking them. So.... do they actually "atract" deer? I sure won't spend anymore of my hard earned $$ on any.

do they ATTRACT deer or HOLD deer in a certain area?

I just checked two of my salt blocks. One of them has about 25% left and the deer have been tearing up the area since last month. The other one has only been out in the woods for about 3 weeks and activity is fairly high. When fall rolls around especially when the White Oak Acorns start falling, the blocks are a lot less active.

We started using them 3 years ago and have seen far more 2 1/2+ year old bucks ever since. So they must work, right?

Oh yeah, did I mention we stopped killing 1 1/2 year old bucks that year too. Maybe that explains it.LOL

i've found the apple block and alfalfa blocks work really well for deer and other critters and the salt is one that works but i don;t think all of the time. we use the blocks and around the food plots and they do seem to use it as as well as going to the plot. deer caine have used a few times and the deer will hit it but i haven't had the response some others have had. i guess sometimes the deer dictate which to go with
    rob k

1bigtaco, I'm hunting over here in southeast Mississippi. I bought one of the mineral block from Wal-Mart this past season and put it out under my stand. The deer were not touching it. I watched a doe walk up to it one evening and smell of it and then jump back. It seemed to scare her. She then just walked away from it. Surely it was not my scent on it because it had rained two days straight prior to that incident. Maybe another kind would work better. I definately will not waste my money on that again. If you find one that works well, let me know.

I might also mention that there is an old salt block on that same piece of property, just outside my uncle's old barn. It was there when he had cows in the field. There are several trails coming out of the woods and you can see deer tracks all around that salt block. So aparantly they will come to a salt block at least occasionally. I believe that hunting over a salt block or mineral block is still considered baiting here in Mississippi though. Not sure about Alabama.

Mineral mix

This link is to another forum I am on, however it has a receipie for a mineral mix that works great and is really cheap. I got some for a local store adn the deer are already tearing it up. Check local laws though! It's only legal in the spring for us.

http://www.ncdeer.com/cgi-bin/ultima...c;f=6;t=000134

Rye.

Originally posted by 1bigtaco
    Tennman: So for the Souther bowseason they should be effective? If our winter is as warm as it was last year it should work all year long
    I would think so. But I abandon salt/mineral licks when persimmons and acorns start falling. An ideal early setup is to
    have a salt/mineral lick near the edge of field that they are using in early season. We have one on our farm at each end of an 8 acre alfalfa field that they will almost always use prior to entering the field. Again when it gets cooler and especially after the first frost they tend to not use near as much from my experience.

My results have been similar...

I have had good success with salt although they don't seem to want it year round.

Mineral blocks were a waste of money, never touched them as far as I could tell.

blocks

The mineral mix is only important in their diet in the spring when they are developing new antler growth. It helps them grow them larger and thicker. The Blocks are too concentrated. Try watering them down adn let them soak into the ground. If you use a ground mix, and the concentration is too high, they won't use it until it dilutes.

rye.

If you review all of the responses here, it is amazing how directly opposite many of them are. I think this is indicating (and I think someone has already suggested this) that the response to marketed mineral supplies depends on the existing natural mineral supplies of the area. I suspect that a deer that is getting adequate supplies of minerals through their natural feed or other natural sources probably cannot be coaxed to introduced sources. When that is not the case, probably any mineral source will get plenty of attention.

Doc

Amen brother! Well said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast