VIRGINIA ARCHERY NEWS (Jan 2009) # 1
The VIRGINIA ARCHERY NEWS (VAN) is a monthly archery newsletter that provides archery information of interest to Virginia archers.
It focuses on target archery competition, but includes 3-D and hunting information. It is designed as a one-stop source, where information regarding shoot schedules and results will be provided, as well as archery news from organizations and clubs. Special features on archery topics will be included in some issues. The newsletter is free, and no commercial advertising will be included. The VAN will be sent only by Email, but it is hoped that newsletter recipients will post hard copies of the newsletter in their club areas, so that the word will spread about the VAN. Suggestions and recommendations about archery items and issues to be included in the newsletter will be gratefully accepted, and can be forwarded to email@example.com. The newsletter will only be as good as the information provided by Virginia archers! The newsletter is not intended to replace organizational, or individual club web sites, or any other source of archery information. Hopefully, it will provide a quick reference for Virginia archers regarding archery events, and happenings, in Virginia and around the country. Clubs who are interested in providing information in this newsletter about their clubs are requested to send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to receive the VAN, and/or submit suggestions, recommendations or information for the newsletter, please contact Jim French at email@example.com
The following list includes topics that may be included in monthly newsletters:
· NFAA, VFAA, VBA, FITA news
· Shoot Schedules
· Shoot Results
· Club News
· Special topics such as the Archery Club of the Month,
The Archer of the Month, Archery Tips, and Bow Maintenance.
· Bow Hunting topics of interest to Virginia bow hunters.
· Articles of interest found on-line, or in publications will be identified and directions to the article will be provided.
· Personal Virginia archery stories.
· Archery news for kids.
· Gander Mountain (Richmond area) will be holding a Vegas Challenge shoot on February 1, 2009 and an NFAA Challenge shoot on March 1st, 2009. See ArcheryTalk: (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...mountain+shoot) for details). Note that the NFAA Challenge shoot is the same weekend as the VBA State Indoor shoot.
· The Lancaster Archery Classic is scheduled for Jan 23-25 2009. See details at http://www.lancasterarchery.com/.
· The NFAA is now allowing a ½ hour practice on your assigned target at the "NFAA World Archery Festival", and other shoots. See (http://www.nfaa-archery.org/tournaments/vegas/index.cfm)
· Hunt n Shack (Gum Springs) has announced a Cash Shoot to be held on January 18th, 2009 (unconfirmed). See http://www.huntnshak.com/ for telephone number to get more information.
Archer of the Month
If you shoot in competitions in Virginia, or anywhere else in the world, you have probably seen, or met Victor Matthews. ‘Vic’ is now eighty-seven years old, and ready to compete in the upcoming 2009 season. Easily recognized by the numerous pins and awards displayed on his hat and jacket, Vic has traveled the world with his bow. When home, he lives in Northern Virginia, and still helps instruct young, and old, archers at the Fort Belvoir Archery Center. Hats off to this great archer, and fine gentleman!
The Prince William Archers have prided themselves on the number of archers they send to Virginia and National shoots. In order to increase the visibility of the club, members are now purchasing special shirts with the PrinceWilliam name and logo. Look for their snappy dress at this year’s events!
A Master schedule of all NFAA, VFAA, VBA and FITA 2009 events is in the making, and will be attached to the February newsletter. Corrections, additions, and deletions to the schedule are welcome, and will be added to the Master Schedule. Copies of corrected schedules can be emailed on request.