Thread: Bowstring wax out of candle wax??

Talking Bowstring wax out of candle wax??

Hey,
    My mom has some candle making kit, and it has a HUGE block of wax with it. My question is can I cut a piece of that to use as bowstring wax, that will actually work?
    thankx

Question: Is it necessary to use “special” wax with certain types of bowstring material?
    Answer: Not really. There are four main reasons for using wax on a bowstring.
    1. To lubricate the fibers and prevent “fiber to fiber” abrasion
    2. To help keep the “bundle” of strands together
    3. To maintain and extend the life of the string
    4. To help prevent water absorption

Bowstring material manufacturers normally apply a generous amount of synthetic wax in liquid form, which insures that from its origin the bowstring material is well lubricated inside and out. It is this process which gives the material its basic protection from fiber to fiber abrasion and helps keep the bundle of strands together. Generally the type of wax used would be a good quality standard “tacky” wax. At this stage it would be unusual for the wax to include silicone which is very slick and, particularly in the case of Flemish strings, makes it difficult to convert the bowstring material into a finished bowstring. However, after the string is made, it is recommended that the archer look for a “maintenance” wax that contains some silicone because a wax blended with silicone penetrates the string material very well and keeps the inside fibers lubricated as well as the outside.
    Wax can be applied with fingers, with a cloth, or with a chamois leather. It should be applied frequently and rubbed well into the string.

http://www.bcyfibers.com/tech_forum.php

Bowstring wax out of candle wax??

check with DonDeere FIRST
    He's our wax on, wax off Expert at Acherytalk..I'm sure he'll see this post and come lay the waxin on...

or do a search for DonDeere with key word being Wax

Hood
    I'm convinced that you can't make everyone happy.

So I'll just have to be content to confuse, annoy, and offend all of you.

Cory,

I would like to see you using BCY's ML-6 wax for your string's and cable's. I'm not sure what string's you are shooting? The factory one's or string's made by someone?

If you ever need string's I think I know someone that would help you out!
    Dave Badgley
    2011 HOYT Contender Elite, Stanislawski, Copper John, Gold-Tip, BCY Fibers.

Dave----
    I'm shooting the stock strings. i'll check out that wax, where can i get it?

I know that when vectran first hit the market, waxes started to change. BCY definitely reccommended using a silicone based wax on their products. I can only assume this is the same today.
    VB

Cory,

I definately can attest to Dave's suggestion of the BCY ML-6 wax. It is the only wax I will use on my strings - did when they were stock strings and now on my new Vapor Trail strings made from Brownell TS-1.

I can imagine Dave can tell you where to get the wax at

By the way, good seeing you again at AC and great shooting! You coming to Gold Cup in a few weeks??

~Scoobs~
    2014 Pro Staff Member: Merlin USA, Easton, TRU Ball, Doinker & OnTarget2 Software
    Yes....I now also shoot recurve too! W&W Inno X-Lite/KAP Windstorm Limbs
    Thank you to all my sponsors & family and especially to God above for giving me the strength & talent in all things Archery!

Lancaster's That's where I get mine....

I would think you would not be able to use candle wax. Alot of candle wax has a petroleum component in it that I would think would cause the string to deteriorate faster.

I could be totally off base with the deterioration part but better be safe than sorry. I have seen how petroleum products tear up my fire fighting gear - I wouldn't want that to happen to my bowstrings (I don't have to pay for my gear to be replaced at work). I would think if the string makers are telling us to use a silicone based wax then we should heed their recommendations. The wax isn't that expensive and usually 1 or 2 sticks last all year.

Just my 2 cents,

Steve
    Last edited by rescue15; May 7th, 2004 at 07:31 PM.

Cory,

I think you should be able to get some at Shooter's. If you donot have any by the next time I see you I'll give you some. I allway's have an extra tube with me.

When is your next Tournament or local shoot going to be?
    Dave Badgley
    2011 HOYT Contender Elite, Stanislawski, Copper John, Gold-Tip, BCY Fibers.

no way in a hot place would i ever use candle wax i use a wax called BlackLightning thats the best bow wax i have ever used