a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Archery Turkey Vitals/Help!

Archery Turkey Vitals/Help!

Ok guys...since i broke down and bought this bow this fall I need to get in the woods more than 2 months out of the year...so im going to apply for a turkey license this spring and want to use my bow...i have been out very few times with my shotgun but never was successful, but i was never that serious about it until now...

so with that being said...
    Is there a place to find a printable target to help with turkey shot placement?
    What is the best shot/shots on a turkey with a bow?
    Do i need a 4" headshot broadhead, fixed, mechainal, etc.?

I purchased an archery ground blind with my christmas gift card money so that will be in my tactics. Is there anything I need to know about ground blind hunting turkeys, or should i just use the 12 ga. since ive never done this successfully b4?
    2012 Insanity CPXL MO Infinity...2008 Guardian Max-4

this will be my first turkey this year,iam going to use my shuttle t-locks,i have been shoot at my foam turkey for about a month in a half,from what i have heard with fixed broadheads you want to hit them were the wing is connected to the body,if you are going to shoot one of the special turkey tips aim for the head.

Welcome to bowhunting turkeys....prepare to become addicted! Here are a few pics I did up for another website that I am on...hopefully they will help you a little....

-As far as using your blind, you do not need to use mesh over the windows when hunting turkeys....just wear black from the waist up so you blend in with the interior of your blind.

-Don't be afraid to set up in wide open fields with your blind....99% of the time birds will pay no attention to it at all.

-If you already have calls, practice A LOT now and get good at using them.....don't wait until a few weeks before season to try them out.

-Decoys can help you get birds close to your blind, but it can depend on how you set them up. Set up your dekes close to your blind....10 yards or less, in case a tom hangs up a little farther out.

-I usually try to position myself somewhere so the bird has to come looking for me....say around the corner of a woodlot from him or just below a ridgeline. When he commits I put the calls away...make him come looking for you.

Come on over to the turkey forum at Michigan-sportsman.com.......you will get lots of answers to your questions from local Michigan turkey hunters.

Fredrick Champion's Choice Calls
    Nature's Echo Custom Calls

thanks guys...ill check out that MI sportmans page...thnks
    2012 Insanity CPXL MO Infinity...2008 Guardian Max-4

I am in the same boat. Just got permission to hunt some land where I constantly see turkeys near my house.

One question on blind hunting...I read that I can hunt with the windows down, but can I do this with all the windows down? Wopn't they see my silouette (sp?)?

Also, what kind of call do you guys recommend for a beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by boddah4 View Post
    I am in the same boat. Just got permission to hunt some land where I constantly see turkeys near my house.

One question on blind hunting...I read that I can hunt with the windows down, but can I do this with all the windows down? Wopn't they see my silouette (sp?)?

Make sure your background is black or they will bust you on the movement seen through the back side. I screwed up my first turkey hunt ever like that and lost my shot on a huge Tom.
    B2E Hunt Club, NJ......Eden Ridge, KY
    '05 Switchback 68# -260 F.P.S.-Scott Wildcat-Beaman ICS 340- QAD- Spott Hogg SLICK TRICKS 125gr...
    '09 Admiral 70#- Hunter Hogg-it .... QAD - ST magnums 100gr- Easton axis- Posten 8"

As far as shot placement. Unless you are shooting some type of guillotine head I feel the best bet is to break the legs or spine. once the legs are broke they can't get off the ground. If you hit where the wing attaches would be good also. If you do that you usually will hit vitals too. Remember. WIthout the legs they pretty much will drop on the spot or flop for a while. Good luck!
    B2E Hunt Club, NJ......Eden Ridge, KY
    '05 Switchback 68# -260 F.P.S.-Scott Wildcat-Beaman ICS 340- QAD- Spott Hogg SLICK TRICKS 125gr...
    '09 Admiral 70#- Hunter Hogg-it .... QAD - ST magnums 100gr- Easton axis- Posten 8"

Quote Originally Posted by boddah4 View Post
    Try a box call, probably one of the easiest to use for beginners. You can try a slate too, tons of choices in both types. Mouth calls are great but take some getting use to, you need to practice with them but they are very effective when hunting with a bow and needing to have both hands on your bow.

A-way Outdoors is from our area and Greg makes some great calls. You can't go wrong with his push/pull box call, The Trooper 2000.

Best of luck this spring!
    Rules for posting in the Classifieds-Please click on the link: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/announ....php?f=8&a=168

Proud Staff Shooter for T.R.U Ball releases, Black Eagle Arrows, ProLine Bow Strings, Bohning Archery, Bling Sling & Onestringer Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by AdvanTimberLou View Post
    Try a box call, probably one of the easiest to use for beginners. You can try a slate too, tons of choices in both types. Mouth calls are great but take some getting use to, you need to practice with them but they are very effective when hunting with a bow and needing to have both hands on your bow.

A-way Outdoors is from our area and Greg makes some great calls. You can't go wrong with his push/pull box call, The Trooper 2000.

Best of luck this spring!
    Thanks Lou, I will look into A-Way Outdoors