a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XI compound bow

XI compound bow

Hey folks I have a buddy thats giving me a compound bow that he is throwing out. I have one that I hunt with but I thought I might set this one up for bow fishing. Its called an XI Velocity Force One. Never heard of them but the bow looks like its an old style bow but looks brand new. Just thought I would see if anyone has ever heard of these bows.

I just set a XI Impact up for a newb last week. Nice bow really. Old, but functional and appeared to be a nice, forgiving design. He is learning quickly with it. I think yours should be plenty decent as a fishing rig.

15 years or so back.the xi was a top bow ..never shot the one you have but the flatliner was a shooter....co started out as indian i think.
    stephen J.Bear...

xi

The xi brand was the first compound bow I ever owned bought back in 89. Xi Legend xl, definiteley a reliable hunting bow. The face of the company used to be the legendary Myles Keller.

if that bow was a two cam version it would shoot 310. I don't know about the one cam thay were great bows. I would put a newer set of cams on it and shoot it for spot and 3D.

Hoyt Contender Spiral XT2000
    X10 Axcel CR for 3D and spots
    ALPHABURNER Spot Hogg Tite Spot for hunting

Brings back memories of one of my first, an XI Impact. Never had a problem with it, hope you enjoy your XI.

Flatliner, Legacy, Legend were XI's bread and butter. That Flatliner was incredibly fast for it's day, especially with heavier arrows. Kinda like the good ol High Country Supreme.

The Velocity series gave XI alot of trouble- especially the gigantic 2 cam original version- Those bows had highly pre-stressed limbs kind of what you see on the modern PSE bows, and the bow was a PITA to keep synched well as the cams were EXTREMELY sensitive . The Force one was one of their last bows- At the time, the concensus was the Velocity series basically put them out of business (among other things). It was kind of like XI's last hurrah, and they were a big failure. I suspect the One cam would be a good find, but I would not touch the 2 Cam Velocity models with a 10 foot pole.

They were also the first manufacturer to go with old "streamline" string material-which was straight Dyneema, which by itself was very weak- XI strings and bows blew up left and right cos of those strings. That was another nail in the coffin for them. My dealer had one give at full draw at the BTS and the bow flew apart- the vguys at the XI booth tried to say he dry-fired it, but he was still holding the string in his fingers- it was obvious the string had been sliced through at the cam. I was there and witnessed the whole thing. At the shop we always urged customers to put a different string and cables on immediately with the XI bows.

Here's a pic of the original Velocity with (for the time)highly pre-stressed limbs and large cams

Last edited by JeffB; January 8th, 2009 at 11:05 AM.

I just retired my XI legend Magnum this fall. Shot it for 11 yrs it was a great bow, my limbs started to crack. I'm still holding on to the old boy in case I find some limbs.

How much so ya'll think the bow is worth if I decided to sell it instead of setting it up for bow fishing.Its in really great shape like I said you can tell its an old style bow but it looks brand new.

I know several guys that used to shoot XI's, back in the day they were top notch, and very fast for the time, and seemed to be very reliable with little or no problems

Myles Keller baby!

xi was this shiznit!

The Force One was a single cam. I have a Legend Extreme with Force One limbs on it because the original limbs blew up and XI only had limbs w' the Force One logo on 'em.

If it is truly a Velocity series bow, I'd say bow fish with it and be happy.
    Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits...the God of our salvation. Psalms 68:19 KJV Hunt 06 Darton Tempest. Beman Field 340s w' NAP QuickSpins & KillZone, F-85 TFO sight Comp 06 Darton Tempest; Victory X-Ringer, ACC 300s. TrophyTaker rest, Tox' sight. Backup 96 Darton Wrangler w' Rev' Archery cams Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO Hunting bows Anchor Sight optical "No Peep" T.R.U.Ball Sabretooth 4 finger release.

I was wondering what happened to them. I have a XI demon and I was trying to find information on it but couldn't find a company website or anything.

Does anyone know the procedure for adjusting poundage on XI bows? I need to adjust my old one down for my sister. I backed the bolts off 4 turns from full tightness, but it seems it could go quite a bit more. I didn't want to go to far though.

i have an xi velocity and recently when i was shooting it the harness/yoke broke in to pieces and i am not able to measure it to see how long it is. i took it in to my local archery shop and the person working there didnt know how long it was or how to fix it. i saw in your picture you have the xi velocity. do you know how long the harness is so i can replace my old broken one? i would greatly appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by archery123 View Post
    i have an xi velocity and recently when i was shooting it the harness/yoke broke in to pieces and i am not able to measure it to see how long it is. i took it in to my local archery shop and the person working there didnt know how long it was or how to fix it. i saw in your picture you have the xi velocity. do you know how long the harness is so i can replace my old broken one? i would greatly appreciate the help.
    Depends on the model. These are for 1998 Model bows. Don't have specs for the Velocity in any other years, sorry. From what I can remember, they were pretty good at keeping thing the same from year to year on the same model.

Model ------------- FF String ------- Cable
    Vel. Extreme ----- 59 1/2" --------- 41 5/8"
    Vel. Force 1 ------ 100" ------------ 43"
    Vel. Fusion ------- 61" ------------- 43"

As JeffB said,they had good and bad.They even had risers breaking in half there toward the end.What really brought them down from what I have heard through local shops was they didn't treat there dealers right,but from what i understand,it was because they were sinking and probably didn't have the resources.

They were a local bow company to me so I have seen alot of them.Not to get anything started but the company that built them actually owns another bow line now.

I killed a lot of deer with my XI Legend Mag and Ultra Mag 80. The latter being the first 80% let off bow I ever owned and was one sweet shooting bow.

Anyone know anything about a XI impact? Guy wants me to do a few things to it and it looks like it could use a string. Only thing I can find on the sticker is it's a 28-30" draw and 65-75 lb. I have never messed with one of these things but gonna try and help him out. Also what materials did they usually use for strings on these things?
    Don't worry about hitting the spot just have fun trying

Wow talk about memories.

My old XI would shoot 315FPS. That was at 85 pounds though.

Killed a ton of deer with that bow.

XI was THE bow back in the day. For a year or two they were THE bow. The High Country really took over the market. At the time Mathews made a piece of junk solocam. LOL

How things have changed

My Legend

hey folks!
    i agree with 188...i loved my legend magnum and killed a lot of deer with it. matter of fact, i should set it up for my son! lol...one time even met myles keller and enjoyed his seminar. great bow and a lot of memories! i wonder how myles is these days? he was a really nice guy and felt very sorry for him when he had all his P&Y trophies stolen years ago. i think it had a big effect on him. see ya'

Legend Mag warning--The Xi Legend Magnum was a great bow with some good speeds for its day, but the risers had a problem with breakage. I broke mine at full draw one day. A week later I met a friend who had the same bow and we removed the grip from his bow and found the same crack starting to develop. If you are still shooting one of these bows, check the riser; you may avoid a serious accident.

Automan
    He trains my hands for battle so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. Ps. 18:34 (NASB)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Flatliner, Legacy, Legend were XI's bread and butter. That Flatliner was incredibly fast for it's day, especially with heavier arrows. Kinda like the good ol High Country Supreme.

The Velocity series gave XI alot of trouble- especially the gigantic 2 cam original version- Those bows had highly pre-stressed limbs kind of what you see on the modern PSE bows, and the bow was a PITA to keep synched well as the cams were EXTREMELY sensitive . The Force one was one of their last bows- At the time, the concensus was the Velocity series basically put them out of business (among other things). It was kind of like XI's last hurrah, and they were a big failure. I suspect the One cam would be a good find, but I would not touch the 2 Cam Velocity models with a 10 foot pole.

They were also the first manufacturer to go with old "streamline" string material-which was straight Dyneema, which by itself was very weak- XI strings and bows blew up left and right cos of those strings. That was another nail in the coffin for them. My dealer had one give at full draw at the BTS and the bow flew apart- the vguys at the XI booth tried to say he dry-fired it, but he was still holding the string in his fingers- it was obvious the string had been sliced through at the cam. I was there and witnessed the whole thing. At the shop we always urged customers to put a different string and cables on immediately with the XI bows.

Here's a pic of the original Velocity with (for the time)highly pre-stressed limbs and large cams

I have the Velocity Extreme sitting in my closet right now ,The string and cable have been removed ,I had the original velocity,the one with the giant cams and it was hanging on the hook at the range and the string blew up ,the bow was only less than a week old so ,the shop owner contacted XI and they sent me a Velocity Extreme ,which is basically a Velocity with Flatliner cams ,the bow shoots great ,one of these days I'll get a new string set for it and shoot it again. XI was a good company too bad they couldn't hang in there ,but when you make a major hunk of junk(the Velocity) it can kill you,and I think that's what happened to them ,it's too bad they made some good bows ,I had a nemisis also ,another good bow that they made .
    Dead Center Archery Products Factory Staff
    60X Custom Strings Staff
    NEW BREED GENETIX Samurai
    Norway Industries Advisory Staff
    New Breed Nation

I recently sold a Velocity Fusion bow. I thought it was a great bow and never had any problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 188 Inches View Post
    At the time Mathews made a piece of junk solocam. LOL

How things have changed
    LOL we called them slocams. Yes quite a change from the early 90's.

Had a guy dryfire an XI flatliner on me at the shop. As stated the strings somewhat weak and came apart (as I remember the harness's lived). The strings would stretch to the point of the cams lobes coming around and touching the string. They were definitely high maintenance.
    " You know, I think this recurve thing just might catch on"

No one knows anything about the impact bow?
    Don't worry about hitting the spot just have fun trying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast