Thread: whats the best way to get bleached antlers back to looking natural

whats the best way to get bleached antlers back to looking natural

how have you got your bleached antlers looking new again?any pics would be great too....

I'm very interested in this it almost seems like it would be very tough to do
    "hunt hard and don't miss"

You can use wood stain on a rag. Just use a little bit and rub it in, you can add coats if you want to go darker

I have heard of using pine tar. Baseball players use it on their bats. I haven't tried it but it makes sense and looks "right" on the baseball bats.

Potassium permanagnate (KMn04) We actually use it in water treatment for the removal of Manganese..... you can get a real good natural color stain from this chemicial I know when I get it on my hands it turns it nice and brown
    I love Bow Hunting
    Hoyt buffalo 50 @ 28 Dorado 50 @ 28 Gamemaster 50 @ 28
    Tradtech Tian I 50 @ 28
    Sky 15" Ilf with shorts

how about brown shoe polish.
    Evo.
    LD Pro-V, LD-Pro.
    MBG Vengence.
    Stokerized.
    R.I. BHFS State Champion.

Taken from the book "Taxidermy Step by Step"

Formula #10: antler stain Use to restore a natural color to bleached, or faded antlers.

Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of potassium permanganate crystals in 1/2 cup of warm water. Apply this to the antlers with a brush or wad of cloth until the desired color is attained. This liquid is a deep purple color but dries to a rich brown, closely simulating the natural color of antlers.

Formula #11: antler brighter Use to brighten and improve the appearance of antlers that are dull and lifeless-looking.

Mix 3 parts of turpentine and 1 part of linseed oil. Apply this to the antlers with a brush or cloth and rub off with a dry cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alandale Archer View Post
    Taken from the book "Taxidermy Step by Step"

Formula #10: antler stain Use to restore a natural color to bleached, or faded antlers.

Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of potassium permanganate crystals in 1/2 cup of warm water. Apply this to the antlers with a brush or wad of cloth until the desired color is attained. This liquid is a deep purple color but dries to a rich brown, closely simulating the natural color of antlers.

Formula #11: antler brighter Use to brighten and improve the appearance of antlers that are dull and lifeless-looking.

Mix 3 parts of turpentine and 1 part of linseed oil. Apply this to the antlers with a brush or cloth and rub off with a dry cloth.
    thank you all,now where can i get the potassium permanganate crystals?

I just looked on the web, www.sciencecompany.com

believe it or not taking a torch,,like a hand held propane torch and lightly going over the rack will darken it up some and give it charicter back

Kiwi brand..can shoe polish...Brown.I've used this many time's to bring back the color of antlers.Put it on and let it dry for an hour than wipe off and buff.Repeat till desired color is achieved.

u can use old english wood stain to put the coler back in them light coats till u get the disired coler it will come out dull but the right coler then use a fish sealer (i get mine from the local taxidermist) and go over it to put the shine back into it

my neighbor does stuff like this, he tans hides and stuff. And if i remember right he uses shoe polish

Quote Originally Posted by moosetrack View Post
    thank you all,now where can i get the potassium permanganate crystals?
    Potassium Permanganate is a common remedy/med in fish keeping and you can find it at many aquarium/fish stores

try any local stores theyre likely to have it

online you can visit
    thatfishplace
    drsfostersmith
    JEHMCO <------nice peeps
    You know what makes me sad? YOU DO ya JackWagon

If you choose not to decide....you still have made a choice.

'Old English' dark. It's the ticket. Darker at the bases and fade to the tips. Wipe off the tops of little bumps at the base quickly to highlight them and make them look well worn.

Quote Originally Posted by skipmaster1 View Post
    You can use wood stain on a rag. Just use a little bit and rub it in, you can add coats if you want to go darker
    +1 (minwax)

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Different shades of wood stain work for me. Depending on how dark you want them to be you can use a differnent shade or put different amounts of coats on.

How long does it take for antlers to lose their color? I have sets from almost 30 years ago that still look the same as when I killed them.

Go to taxidermy.net, and ask a professional. Or do a search there. You'll get a good answer that will work.
    New Archery Nation Field Staff

I did a drop last year and it turned out way too dark.
    It is a nice four point drop of my grandfathers that he had in the shed for 30 years, it had very little cracking.
    I used a medium walnut stain,the stain was too dark for how dry it was.
    It needed a sealer of some sort first.
    Attachment 503556
    Hey dumby....tired of your arrows falling out of your quiver? Save yourself 200 bucks.....turn it over!

Maybe I do spend too much time in the brush....looking out.It's time better spent then at the truck....looking out!

Quote Originally Posted by moosetrack View Post
    how have you got your bleached antlers looking new again?any pics would be great too....
    Spend a month rubbing them on trees!

I've used plain ole Minwax wood stain

on weathered antlers to bring back natural color. Depending on how porous the antlers are will determine how dark of a stain you need. I always start with a really light stain. If the antlers are really weather-checked, I use Johnson's paste wax to bring back natural sheen. Here is a pic of a set of antlers that were outside on a barn for a year before I got them. They had cracking and were very pale. A little wood stain and several coats of paste wax and here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images