Thread: What is parallax?

What is parallax?

First off, I don't mean paradox.

My impression is that parallax refers to the distance between the scope and the arrow, and the fact that they are "aimed" at different angles. My friend refers to parallax as some type of aberration in the lens. Whic is it?

Parallax is the difference in the angles between your arrow's path and your peep/scope or pin angle and the line of sight height above your arrow. Parallax is why you have to put 50 yds on your sight to shoot a 2 yd target.

PS I guess a lens can have parallax too if both sides of the lens are not parallel with each other.
    Last edited by Punch_Master; May 10th, 2004 at 02:20 PM.
    "Odocoileus Virginianus"-Mother Nature's original fast food
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm way smarter than you Juan.
    Steelers in 2015!!!!

It means the lack of being parallel. The lines will intersect. It is a common term used in scopes when your eye is not centered, you can be off in your aim at far distances.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

From a google search:

Parallax refers to the apparent shifting of an object when viewed at different angles. If you view the same object from two different angles, the perspective will change. Hold your thumb out in front of you at arm's length and view it first with your right eye (left eye closed), and then with your left eye (right eye closed). Your thumb appears to move. Astronomers view stars from one side of the Earth's orbit and then from the other side to attempt to detect parallax. This can be done only for near stars. The amount by which the star appears to move gives an indication of its distance. Astronomers can also view nearby objects such as the Moon and Venus in this manner to determine distance.
    "Odocoileus Virginianus"-Mother Nature's original fast food
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm way smarter than you Juan.
    Steelers in 2015!!!!

from http://www.webcom.com/safezone/NAS/glossary.html:

"Parallax refers to the apparent shifting of an object when viewed at different angles. If you view the same object from two different angles, the perspective will change. Hold your thumb out in front of you at arm's length and view it first with your right eye (left eye closed), and then with your left eye (right eye closed). Your thumb appears to move. Astronomers view stars from one side of the Earth's orbit and then from the other side to attempt to detect parallax. This can be done only for near stars. The amount by which the star appears to move gives an indication of its distance. Astronomers can also view nearby objects such as the Moon and Venus in this manner to determine distance. "

Scott

PS: Oops! You just beat me!

I have the strangest feeling that I have read this somewhere before!
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

Parallax is why when you have 1/4 tank of gas, your wife thinks the gauge is on "E" because she's trying to read it from the passenger seat.

Thanks, guys! Looks like I was correct as I always am! Once I THOUGHT I had made a mistake, but I was wrong!

Hoggernaut???

Is that how it works???

PARALLAX???

Hello Jim,

Jim>>My impression is that parallax refers to the distance between the scope and the arrow, and the fact that they are "aimed" at different angles. My friend refers to parallax as some type of aberration in the lens. Whic is it?<<

Parallax is a unique value derived from angles of two different places, looking at a common object. You are correct. It is two different places with different angles aiming at the same object....A triangle

One easy way how to understand Parallax, is your own eyes. Your Right eye sees a object in front of you. Your left eye sees the same object in front of you... Your brain calculates the "Angle" of each object, and uses the distance between your eyes to tell you how far the object is away from you. Thus you have a triangle. The shortest leg of the triangle is the distance between your eyes, and the two long legs of the triangle is the distance from each eye to the object. Thus simple trig is done in your head to calculate the distance the object is away.

If you are blind in one eye, you will not be able to judge distance very good, because you are missing a Leg of the Parallax. You must then go on "size of a object".

On a bow, your arrow nock is one eye, the other point is your own eye. the object is your sight. this means your sight must be placed a certain position, so that the legs of the triangle are a certain degree. When that degree is reached, you will hit the bullseye using a certain pin.

Another Parallax that most people are clueless about is "Sound". if you are deaf in one ear... You cannot find things....like telephones that ring, People who say "Hey you!" etc.

Dwayne

"The Hood" had a great video clip on AT here last winter I believe giving a great explanation of parallax!

That would be RobbyHood101, step by step Parallaxing from the angle king...

it's all covered, even how to setup the flattest shooting rig you have ever shoot.

I be the Hood with The answers

Hoodige
    I'm convinced that you can't make everyone happy.

So I'll just have to be content to confuse, annoy, and offend all of you.

Thats right...I forgot that was when you banned yourself!! I'm sure it would be beneficial if you posted that link again so all the new members can view it. You've kinda been on the "down-low" lately...whats up?

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...t=robbyhood101

Now it was like this,,The Hood banned the Hood-lum and RobbyHood went to web rehab, but The Hood-stir kept the Pot cookin...
    I'm convinced that you can't make everyone happy.

So I'll just have to be content to confuse, annoy, and offend all of you.